Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the past year or so, after hearing In Absentia, Stupid Dream, and Deadwing, my opinion of Porcupine Tree has been solidified: they kick ass. :up:

The Incident sounds intriguing. With new Porcupine Tree, Muse, Pearl Jam, and Flaming Lips albums to discuss in the next couple of months, B&C is going to be buzzing. :hyper:

I like Porcupine Tree. I'm not in love with them but they have some excellent songs for sure. I gotta say, The Incident sounds really, really promising. Having heard the song preview I am much more excited for the album than I was. I think it's really going to be something special. Great concept, too :up:

and one of the riffs sounds like Meshuggah ... colour me impressed.

Over the past year or so, after hearing In Absentia, Stupid Dream, and Deadwing, my opinion of Porcupine Tree has been solidified: they kick ass. :up:

The Incident sounds intriguing. With new Porcupine Tree, Muse, Pearl Jam, and Flaming Lips albums to discuss in the next couple of months, B&C is going to be buzzing. :hyper:

There's also new Mute Math, remastered Beatles and Stone Roses, and I've heard small rumblings of new Fleet Foxes....

:hmm:

I just listened to it twice back to back and... it's okay. It's different! The chorus is kinda catchy but there is none of the slow atmospheric keyboards and sound effects that they are so good at. Not that they must always sound the same. But this will take a bit of getting used to. Bring on the other songs!

Oh that was only the edited version??

Been listening to a lot of PT lately... Deadwing, Blank Planet, Stupid Dream... I got lost today driving and listening to Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. :lol: Great song to drive to though!

It will be better to hear the whole piece, which is over 11 minutes long, to get a true grasp of the song, but that 5 minute edit was good.

ick, I don't like the idea of that. As someone who writes 11 minute songs myself, I can't imagine editing them down to 5 minutes :doh: It's not like the other half of the song is filler!

I really dig what I'm hearing so far though, can't wait for the album :up: hopefully I'll get to see them live too. Might go see them in Chicago.

I'm still coming back to real life after my Europe trip. Haven't heard any new PT yet. Think I'd prefer to just wait until the full album leaks anyway.

So, the album's leaked. The leak unfortunately has a bit of clipping, but still very worth it if you want to hear the album in all its glory.

Now, I've said before that every new PT album, I expect absolutely nothing. Well, perhaps it's not true - I figure the band has to go to shit one day. Nobody's brilliant forever. And god, look at the description of this album, talk about setting yourself up to jump the shark.

But what's my early verdict?

They've still got it.

It's not enough to top Pure Reason Revolution's Amor Vincit Omnia as my favourite album of 2009 thus far, but I think it's good enough to dislodge dredg from second place.

On the basis of a handful of listens, my early favourite tracks are Drawing The Line, Octane Twisted, I Drive The Hearse, and Black Dahlia. Some fantastic vocals from SW on this release.

Looking forward to your thoughts, phanan.

I reckon this is a damn consistent album, perhaps one of the most consistent albums of its length.

Back
Top Bottom