Official Replacements Thread...discuss their greatness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

You're in for a good ride in terms of discovery.

They're one of the best bands ever.

If someone called them the best band ever, I wouldn't argue. They have a amazing spirit in their music, even though it's soaked in whiskey, bloody lips, and romantic disappointment

But what isn't cool soaked in whiskey, bloody lips, and romantic disappointment?

From the very first day that you were born
to the very last time you waved and honked your horn
had no chance at all to watch you grow
up so sadly, beautiful
up so sadly, beautiful

Baby needs a brand new pair of eyes
cause the ones you got now see only goodbyes
had no chance at all to let you know
oh so sadly, beautiful
sadly, beautiful

Well you got your father's hair
and you got your father's nose
but you got my soul
sadly, beautiful

From the very last time you waved and honked your horn
to a face that turned away pale and worn
had no chance at all to let you know
you left me sadly, beautiful
left me sadly, beautiful
Sadly, beautiful
so sadly
so sadly

For some wacko reason, even though I knew of the Replacements in the 80s, they didn't grab me then like other bands like REM did and I didn't listen to them. Then I got the Best of (so sue me) and I've been in love ever since.

Left of the Dial blaring from the car.... :drool:

Bastards of Young has sneaked onto my Desert Island III playlist.

I love that song, especially coupled with Joan Jett's Bad Reputation. Now that is an ass-kicking combination.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Bastards of Young has sneaked onto my Desert Island III playlist.

I love that song, especially coupled with Joan Jett's Bad Reputation. Now that is an ass-kicking combination.

You'll have my vote once again it seems. I finished my playlist before I got on a Replacements kick, so there's no Left Of The Dial or anything on mine. :sigh:

LemonMelon said:

You'll have my vote once again it seems. I finished my playlist before I got on a Replacements kick, so there's no Left Of The Dial or anything on mine. :sigh:

I change mine almost every day, you can put it on there.

Come on...

LemonMacPhisto said:

I change mine almost every day, you can put it on there.

Come on...

B-but it's perfectly balanced in every way...:( It took me almost 3 months to get it right. If I had room, Left Of The Dial and Teenage Riot would both be a given, but they only let us have 2 CD's. :shrug:

Thanks LemonMelon for starting this thread. Sorry I saw this so late.

The Mats were my favorite band the last couple years of high school, and after, until I finally recognized the greatness of U2 somewhere in the year before Achtung Baby came out. I remember seeing the video for "I'll Be You" on whatever Alternative video show MTV had at the time, and I think I bought a cassette single. For some reason Tim wound up being the first actual album of theirs I bought.

It didn't take me too long to pick up the rest of their discography, and what was interesting was that I didn't judge the later material as harshly as some of the older fans. While there's certainly a lot of polish on the last two albums (esp. Don't Tell A Soul), there's some great songwriting, and some great rockers as well.

Pleased to Meet Me, though one of the last for me to purchase, quickly became my favorite. The reason I enjoy it so much is because there's a lot of co-writing credits on the album, but more importantly because Paul is the sole guitar player. No offense to the late Bob Stinson, but he isn't 1/10 the guitarist that Paul is. Some amazing solos, fills, and leads on that record (The Ledge? Can you fucking believe that shit?), and I don't know why they even bothered to grab Slim Dunlap as they already had someone better. Sure, PTMM is poppy and accessible, but it's just as rambunctious as the earlier stuff. In terms of style, it's probably the most diverse-sounding of all their albums, from the pop of Valentine and Alex Chilton to the blister of I.O.U. to the cool vibes of Nightclub Jitters to the jokey swagger of I Don't Know to the sweet minimalism of Skyway to the magical grandeur of Can't Hardly Wait. Have horns and strings ever been so welcome on a former garage band's album?

Anyway, I also wanted to give a big show of support for All Shook Down, and while many consider it a kind of Paul solo album, it still SOUNDS like The Replacements to me. It's a little more stripped down, but christ those songs again. Merry Go Round, One Wink at a Time, Nobody, Attitude, the title track, Sadly Beautiful...great, great writing. Lyrically it may be Paul's best.

I had the benefit of being at their final show at Grant Park in Chicago, where the band famously "broke up" on stage, switching instruments for the encore Hootenany (Paul on drums, Tommy on lead guitar, Slim on bass and Steve Foley on rhythm guitar), and gradually each handing their gear to the roadies, who took over, until an oblivious Tommy realized he was the only actual band member still playing. He threw his axe down and walked off stage, and that was the end of the band. That was rock and roll, my friends.

I picked up Rock Band 2 a week or two ago (which, by the way, is awesome), and was happy to find that 'Alex Chilton' is on it. Because of that, I've sorta been in a Replacements mood lately.

Quick, what are your favorite Replacemetns songs?

This thread is back? Kickass.

Favorite Replacements songs:

I Will Dare
Unsatisfied
Bastards Of Young
Left Of The Dial

The 'Mats are awesome. A truly legendary rock band. Favorite songs? That's tough. I would say my number one favorite is probably Unsatisfied.

Craig Finn (of Hold Steady fame) listed I Will Dare as his all-time favorite song. By anybody. And it is definitely a classic.

"Fingernails and cigarettes a lousy dinner"

I wish I'd written that line.

I embarrassingly only had the 'Do You Know Who I Think I Was? Best Of The Replacements' compilation, which I was too afraid to admit as I thought some of you may emotionally assault me with insults and/or hate crimes. In a late attempt to avoid that, I purchased the Let It Be reissue today.

I embarrassingly only had the 'Do You Know Who I Think I Was? Best Of The Replacements' compilation, which I was too afraid to admit as I thought some of you may emotionally assault me with insults and/or hate crimes. In a late attempt to avoid that, I purchased the Let It Be reissue today.

Let me guess...you've spent more time posting about the reissue than listening to it up to this point? :wink:

Got home late and I'm still ripping all the albums I purchased. I'm already quite familiar with 3 of the songs from it, if that's any consolation.

One of the best bands of the 80's...
favorites include...
Within Your Reach
Unsatisfied
Answering Machine
I Will Dare
Swingin Party
Left Of The Dial
Bastards Of Young
Here Comes A Regular (can't believe nobody's mentioned this one???)
Alex Chilton
Can't Hardly Wait
The Ledge
Oh, Fuck, there's too many to mention. The Mats ROCK!!!!!!!

I used to have all their records on vinyl but haven't replacemented all of them on CD yet. I fucking loved them, and saw them a few times in NYC. Can't Hardly Wait, Left of the Dial, Sadly Beautiful, Achin' to Be, Attitude, The Ledge, Alex Chilton, Here Comes a Regular, off the top of my head. So many great songs. I haven't listened to them in too long.

Back
Top Bottom