U2 - Masters of the Modern Parable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crzy4Bono

Refugee
One of the things I have so admired about U2 is their ability to combine spirituality in their music without engaging in "cram-down" evangelism. I have always thought that a lot of their music is like the parables in the New Testament - stories with a veiled lesson, not obvious "thou shalt nots", but if you listen, or substitute God for "her" etc. the whole meaning of the songs change for those who want to listen. Songs like Grace, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, etc. are so obviously spiritual in nature. A big change from their earlier work that was more obvious... Do you guys agree?

It's kind of nice to hear stuff from people who are walking in faith as opposed to holding themselves up as righteous. I mean, we all have temptations and step off the line at times, it is kind of nice to think that maybe you are not alone in this and that faith is a journey as opposed to a "status".

I'd love to sit down and discuss religion with these guys - what a bomb that converstaion would be...

Well back to work now.

Laura, awesome thought that U2's music is like a modern parable, and I couldn't agree with you more. I would think that this would come from some of the backlash they received from some of the Christian community early on when they didn't follow the shall dos and shall nots that sometimes the religious order of Christianity sets up for others.

Jesus use of parables was a very powerful and effective way of teaching about the kingdom of God without shoving it down the throats of those to whom he was speaking with. Often, He never did actually give the meaning of the parable to those who were listening, but allowed the words to soak into their conscious, so that they would begin to question what they had heard and find the true meaning of the parable. In U2's lyrics, the obvious sometimes is the most veiled with truth about their faith, and belief in God.

Chris

same wavelength, I was thinking the same thing...about discussing religion with them too
smile.gif

I absolutely agree! In many aspects - Bono teaches in the same manner the early Christians did...to be continually searching for the Truth about the universe and about our role in it, without the legalistic nonsense that Fundamentalism pounds into our heads. (Fundamentalism in any religion can usually be quite scary - ask the people of New York)

It is no accident Bono uses "she" and "her." Sophia or Wisdom is usually associated as a feminine entity in ancient mythology, Platonic philosophy, and even in the Bible. I believe Bono has been quoted as believeing the Holy Spirit to be a feminine entity.

Through it all - the message is Love. Almost every song of U2 is about Divine Love (losing it, gaining it, betraying it, having not found it yet...etc) They sing about the love of family, friends, of all brothers and sisters, of life, of eternity, and especially of Christ.

He is truly an amazing poet blessed with what I believe is Divine Inspiration. I think he is like a prophet in the Old Testament sense of the word (great teacher)- here to help each of us on our walk with Christ. It is not always easy (actually, it is rarely easy) - but Love is the right pair of shoes that will get us through the night
smile.gif

Laura, great thread! And you are so right. In my opinion, U2 have perfected the parable form for our times. In some places it's quite obvious...in others more subverted. In my opinion, the entire album Zooropa can be looked on as a giant parable. And they have the ability to step outside themselves and tell stories from a different point of view (aka The Wanderer).

One of my favorites? The First Time.
I have a lover, a lover like no other
She got soul, soul, soul sweet soul, and she teach me how to sing
Show me colours when there's none to see, gives me hope when I can't believe
And for the first time I feel love.

I have a brother, when I'm a brother in need
I spend my whole time running, he spends his running after me
I feel myself going down...I just call and he comes around
And for the first time, I feel love.

My father is a rich man, he wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming, gave me a cup of gold
He said, "I have many mansions, and there are many rooms to see."
But I left by the back door and I threw away the key.
Yeah, I threw away the key.
For the first time...I feel love.

What a beautiful metaphor of the trinity. And the interesting part is that Bono decides to leave the story hanging. The proper "Christian" ending to that song would be of the prodigal returning and of redemption happening. But Bono allows for the fact that not all of us are there yet. Some of us aren't ready to accept God's grace. Some of us still throw away that key. Does that mean that all hope is lost? I don't think so.

Another song that comes to mind is Last Night on Earth. In fact, when you combine that song with Gone...it makes me wonder if they weren't already onto something about "all that you can't leave behind" before that album ever was created. "You gotta give it away!" "I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down, I'm already gone." hmmm.

Anyways, must go and think more on this topic.
smile.gif

-sula

That is a really good point Laura. It?s funny because I have been busy lately with the local lists I take part in. We have discussed the lyrics a lot, now that the tour is over, it?s summer vacation around here and still there is no news on a possible visit of the boys to these lands.

Usually we start the discussion with the translation of the lyrics...that?s the first battle, because usually I do the dirty job and there is always someone who disagrees with me, LOL. Then it comes the analysis of its meaning and interpretations. The last one we discussed is exactly a good example of this parable theory and that is With or Without You. It?s amazing how come Bono could create such perfect piece...

We ended up with some bruises and scars, I mean, some for the romantic interpretation and the others for the spiritual one, LOL...but it?s always a great pleasure.

parables! That's brilliant, Crzy... a "veiled lesson." I've always heard their songs that way, but never would have thought to parallel them with Jesus' manner of teaching. Ooh, that's cool.
biggrin.gif
and --

faith is a journey as opposed to a "status".
Oh, that's good. May I use that?
wink.gif

The last one we discussed is exactly a good example of this parable theory and that is With or Without You. ...
We ended up with some bruises and scars, I mean, some for the romantic interpretation and the others for the spiritual one

follower, WOWY is actually a prime example of Bono's gift, for me. That song never was one of my favourites...sweet on the ears, yes, but it was such a MONDO hit when it came out, I heard in it a silky love song and I heard it a lot. (What I call the "Mona Lisa Syndrome" -- we all know what Mona looks like, so we don't even see the painter's hand in it anymore; guess what, folks, it IS brilliant! LOL)
Well, shite. When they played it here in Vancouver, Bono's performance made it abundantly plain that it was a song between him and his Christ... I was deeply moved by it. And on the DVD now, knowing what we know about his father's illness, I think maybe he was overcome by the paradox of Oneness in God (or, I should probably say, I was, at least
wink.gif
): as he felt the loss of his father, the depth of the bond with his audience, the blessing of communion and the pain of "separateness" in the flesh... That song is transformed for me.

Deb

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

He is truly an amazing poet blessed with what I believe is Divine Inspiration. I think he is like a prophet in the Old Testament sense of the word (great teacher)- here to help each of us on our walk with Christ.
I've been saying this since the day I heard them. you know i believe it!

How about the fact that One is the 3rd song on AB? Holy Trinity, etc. We all know nothing by U2 is a mistake.

I posted this in another thread, but this subject of Bono's lyrics & women are so amazing and fascinating to me and - I think Sula you wrote this once? someone did- it just makes me SO happy to be a woman the way Bono sings about them. He doesn't portray them as perfect, far from it- but he accepts all their wonderfulness as well as mysteriousness, celebrates and mourns over it, he knows he needs it.. it's just amazing.

"All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up."

"The Holy Spirit is like a woman. Undependable. Joke! Joke!" -Bono

smile.gif

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I like this discussion. So I'm bumping it back up.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for doing that Sula, I had totally missed it.
Amazing thread and it feels even more amazing that I'm not alone with all these thoughts. Most thoughts that I've been too scared to share with anyone, even close U2 friends, shows up here by different persons. And I can't do anything but agree. I get all emotional reading what you write and gets even more sure about my thoughts and "coincidences" I tends to see more of every day with U2, the music, lyrics, their actions, everything.
Thanks for sharing!!

That's the #1 reason why I love U2. They have their spirituality, and respect that you have yours. I love that they are relatively open with their struggles with God and finging their peace.

As far as their modern music being more covered-up, can't agree with you more. 80s U2 literally shouted "I believe Jesus is coming!" Now it's in there, but you don't have to pay attention if you aren't that into the music. And if you are like me and you ARE that into the music, it's there and it's FABULOUS! It has given me so much help over the years. I can honestly say I would not be here today if "Stuck in a Moment" didn't exist...but that's a different story.

-Lil

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

Back
Top Bottom