Time Warp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluephisto

War Child
In the mud, in the maze of my imagination.
I'm 25 and I feel like when I imagined my life when I was younger I was about ten years off. I thought by the time I was 25 I'd have my own place, an ok car, a career ... Seems like that's more like 35 (I HOPE) *hypervenillates*

Does anyone else feel that way? That they're WAY behind where they thought they'd be at this age? Does anyone feel way ahead?

just wondering.

-TimeWarp Bluey

Totally... I know exactly what you're talking about here. I just turned 26 last month, and while my life is heading in a good direction at the moment, I thought for sure I'd be married with kids in a house etc.... by the time I was 25. Sure I was probably about 10 when I thought this, but the though of all of those things right now is a little intimidating!

Yep I'm 30 and I feel the same way. I do have a car though. But I didnt think I'd be living in an apartment, instead of a house at my age. And I have a good job but I wouldnt call it a career.

But overall I'm quite satisfied with my life. :)

I'm exactly where I thought I'd be.
I'm 20. I'm in school, taking science, working toward a wonderful goal. I've lived alone, travelled somwhat. I have friends, a car (as of next week), a job of sorts. I've had relationships w/ guys. i don't have a boyfriend now, but even as a kid, i knew that guys would come and guys would go. I haven't found the right one yet, but never envisioned that at 20.

I think I'm taking everything on a case by case, day by day basis. I've had a wonderful day. I ran into an old friend whom I haven't seen in ages and he made me smile.

When I was a kid, when I looked into my future, I figured as long as I was happy and smiling, that I would be successful.

Life is strange isn't it? I think those who get to where they thought they would be are quite lucky. When I was a teenager, I thought my life would move on fairly slow, I'd study for a while, eventually work in the art field somewhere, or hoped at least, eventually get married, buy a house, have a car, the great Aussie Dream I guess. But I am 25, 26 in a couple of months, I studied various things, never really settling down then out of the blue after only one really serious or noteworthy relationship I met the guy I eventually married. I've been married for almost 3 years now, we have a house, a car and a bub on the way. Years ahead of how I thought it would happen. I'm happy with all this, they were all choices I made and so far have not regretted a single one. I think sometimes life would be a lot easier if I had held off and said 'no even though I think this is right, I would rather wait for a few more years'. But hey, if the shoe fits right?...:)

So yeah, I guess I feel ahead :) I dont think life is about 'if', more like 'when'. we all get to roughly the same place in the end, it just happens at different times for everyone.

sometimes i look at my life and think im done nothing with it and the expectations i had for it when i was younger are so not what it is.
but then i just need to take a reality check and realise i have accomplished a lot. the problems are that my expectations are far too high.

bluephisto..theres a phenomenon called 'quarterlife crisis' where 25 yr olds have some sort of panic attack/breakdown/crisis over what they havent become by age 25. ive talked about it here before. its very very common. there's a book about it which im yet to read. but when i saw a show on it last year it blew my mind because all these 25 yr olds were talking about all the things i was feeling.
it comes down to placing too many expectations on ourselves.

I wrote in a journal when I was 17 that I wanted to be out of the house by the time I was 22, and that I wanted to be a writer. :crack:

Well, I'm 24 as of right now, no job, about a year or so off from moving out of my mom's house (if all goes well in the next few months, as in, I get employed), and obviously the writer thing isn't happening. I don't even know how to go about doing something like freelancing. :der:

Yep, life isn't turning out how I expected it to be. :sigh:

My life seems to be divided into quarters.( well roughly)
20 years of childhood and education/work, 20 years of motherhood and home -making, during which time, (now I can relax and look back on it) I worked damn hard. I became so ill after the last one was born, the past 10 years have been a bit of a blur and difficult.
But I've almost recovered my health and feel ready to tackle the challenge of the next 20.It will be work work work , giving back some of the help I received as a young mum.
And then...the last 20, they should be rocking, 60 -80 year old cass...gosh not only will we have the internet, we'll probably have teletransportataion...LOOK OUT!!!:macdevil:

Did you see the movie "entropy"? Bono gives some advice that burned itself on my brain when I first heard it. I can't recall the exact quote, something like..."do you have a plan?" the reply "no"... check out his answer.
Plan for the future.....we just might have one.

I don't think it is age or situation related feeling you have, bluephisto. We all go through phases where we are unsure of what we are doing.I feel neither behind, nor ahead...just here, wish you were.

Good luck bluephisto.

zooropamanda said:
sometimes i look at my life and think im done nothing with it and the expectations i had for it when i was younger are so not what it is.
but then i just need to take a reality check and realise i have accomplished a lot. the problems are that my expectations are far too high.

:wave:

But I need my house at the beach NOW!!!:hmm: :rolleyes: :|

bluephisto said:
Does anyone else feel that way? That they're WAY behind where they thought they'd be at this age? Does anyone feel way ahead?

just wondering.

-TimeWarp Bluey

Hell, yeah! I thought I'd be married by now. :shrug:

Just the same like you. We are not the baby boomers you know. We are still Generation X.

We are OLD!!!

When I go by underground and I see those 12 y.o. kids playing with their handys, I wish I would be as satisfied as them.

I?ll go take a look on some zoo site, maybe that makes me feel better. cu. :wave:

yep, i know exactly what you are talking about bluey. i will be turning 28 in Jan and i have been doing a lot of reflection lately on where i am and where i want to be. right now i can say that i am a little behind on my life goals. i would have thought by now that i would have met my future husband and would already have 2 kids by now one boy and one girl. that is where i thought i would be when i was 18. well that has not worked out as i once thought and probably for the best right now. because i have very little time to even devote to myself let alone a husband and children.

lets see right now, i have my own car, which is almost paid off. i have my very own apartment, which i love to death. i have a career and well that is what leaves me with a :huh: face on daily basis. because it is like a roller coaster. i hate it most days and some days i love it. and this is where i am stuck right now. i am good at what i do but it is something that i do not see staying with for the next 25 years *shiver*.

what i would love to do career wise is something that would allow me to travel and work overseas. that is something that i have always wanted to do for years. and who knows maybe one day i will be able to do it.

the only thing i am really working on right now as far as life goals are concerned would be to work on my career and to travel the world. it is all about me now and living in the now.

Back
Top Bottom