I drank too much and ended up in hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenbetterthan

The Fly
Thought I'd get this off my chest, I'm only 17 and I'm Irish, but I've been drinking bout 2/3 years now as is the culture here so I went out on Saturday night and drank far too much and I woke up on Sunday morning, 7 am in the MAU of the local hospital, i was so freaked out, i didn't know what happened me. I was on a heart monitor, Bp monitor and a potassium IV drip. How horrible. But I became depressed in the days after it btu I'm way better now, but still i fel as if i had a problem, like, for gods sake, alcoholism at 17. But anyway, life goes on. I owe my life to my best friend, he saved me, and its so humbling

yeah, I've given up alcohol and the thing is I'm leaving home in a week to go to college. i come from a rural area in ireland and its my first time living in a city. It'll be strange and I need to well I dunno, drinking is such a culture here.

Drinking is still a choice even though it might be part of a culture. Nobody will be forcing you to drink... But mind you, there is a big difference between being an alcoholic and drinking too much on one occasion (not that I want to promote that you'll keep drinking, but maybe it'll make you feel better). Where will you be studying?

Hey Evenbetterthan:wave:

I am Irish too...but drinking is a choice as Partygirl says, even when it is cultural...i didn't start drinking until last Christmas...my friends have all been drinking for years longer than me...it is just all about control of when and how you drink.

I am glad you got better:hug:

I am off to uni myself..Bristol University..so i am changing countries:ohmy: tis nerve wracking.

glad you're alright evenbetterthan. :hug:

don't get too down on yourself, overdoing it once doesn't make you an alcoholic. and alcoholism isn't something you can choose to have in the first place.

good luck with college. :wave:

Good luck in college, and just think about priorities. Don't worry about what other people are doing so much........

it's a great oppertunity to enrich your life on many levels...

VertigoGal said:
glad you're alright evenbetterthan. :hug:

don't get too down on yourself, overdoing it once doesn't make you an alcoholic. and alcoholism isn't something you can choose to have in the first place.

good luck with college. :wave:

^^
What she said.

Unfortunately, we're not born knowing exactly what our limits are in terms of consuming alcohol. Sometimes we have to "overdo it" a few times before we learn our lesson.

This happened to me two years ago on my birthday. I drank way too much mudslides and straight up vodka that I ended up passing out. I don't remember anything from midnight until I woke up in the hospital at 6 am the next day. It was one of the most scariest experiences of my life and I thank god that my cousins and friends were with me. The doctors gave me a wake up call and I limit how much alcohol I drink now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom