I dont like weddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOOOOOOVE WEDDINGS!!!!!! But then again i would not know what it's like to go to a hooty-tooty wedding.....all my mates were either were/are poor!

It's quite funny really.......Hubby and I say that Cassy & Dave's wedding was the best we have ever been to and C & D reckon that our wedding was the best they have ever been to!

At both weddings we were at the most poorest point of our financial situations. But we contest that C&D's wedding was the absolute topper and it only cost under $2K...... but there was a catch ......we all had to do a road-trip that lasted 6hrs to the middle of woop-woop....i can't even remenber the name of the town it had a population of i think 56!!
But it was where her grandfather was minister for the local church......this tiny little church held around 20 peeps (sqaushed-in!) there was no room for all of us as there was about 100 guests....we all took turns being in the church it was a total disaster! LOL...... There were peeps leaning against the church wall looking through the glass for the ceremony out in the scorching Australian Summer.....it was another unbearable 40 minutes to the local lawn bowls club where all the little old ladies from the Rotary club put on a spectacular roast.....(Cassy's grandma chaired the local rotary club....so that was their wedding gift) There a stereo in the corner and all the beer you can imagine........EVERYONE let their hair down, kicked off their shoes took off their stiff jackets, they had the token fissed-as-a-part Uncle who could barely stand up and MC, the photographer was all of us....there were disposable cameras on each table........1000's of little kids running around playing hide and seek......everyone was so happy and relaxed even though it was one of the hottest days on record, everyone picthed in to help clean up when the party finished the next day.........unreal time, the best ever!!!

Snowlock said:

Then me being me I offered...

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
&
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

:mac:

I'm guessing those didn't fly.... :lmao:

struckpx said:
It's fun to show your appreciation to the people that are meaningful in your life.

I agree. I've been to two weddings (both of them were for the same cousin), and I had a fairly good time at both of them. I had a little more fun at the first one, too bad the bride was a stupid whore and if I ever run into her I'm going to punch her in her bitch face :happy:! His second wife comes from a wealthy family so the wedding was very fancy, it was at the Hotel Bel Air :ohmy:. Our family felt a bit out of place, but we still had a nice time. I did not care for that expensive food though :yuck:.
Two of my roomates are getting married tomorrow (to each other). They are my best friends in the whole world and I am excited. The poor bride has been very stressed out over the whole thing though. What they really wanted was a very simple small wedding, but it's turned into a pretty big affair (they hav e a big family and business associates that they feel the need to impress), thanks to his family and trying to please everyone has been very stressful for them. Luckily his family is paying for most of it because they are poor college students and they're the ones that want all of this crap, on the flip side of that she has to try hard to make them happy because of all the money that they are shelling out. I hope everything goes smoothly for her sake and I will knock anybody out if someone acts like an ass and upsets them :mad:. We have one friend who we are worried about in this regard.

If I ever get married I hope that is small and simple, my family and circle of friends are pretty small and I hope that his are too. My parents got married in my grandparents' backyard, so I know that they won't be putting any extravagent expectations on me :up:.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Oh, I thought of the one thing I truly hate about weddings. I hate that couples are introduced as Mr & Mrs guy's name, guy's last name. :mad: Why does the wife have to be Mrs. husband's first name, last name??? That's such a crock!

I have actively campaigned for using both first names in the introduction amongst my friends.

right on! :up:

When you think about it, weddings are SO CORNY!!!!!

The ceremony is in church, which will probably be the ONLY time the couple will ever be in a church (Seriously, do people still go to mass on Sundays anymore?). Then the reception is so corny, with the stupid usual songs you hear at weddings, like Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" and the Village People's YMCA. And you have to have the customary Chicken Dance and Electric Slide. And most of the people you have never seen in your life. Gawd, weddings make me puke.

:barf:

Last edited:
Give me a civil ceremony followed by decamping to Italy over a wedding costing tens of thousands of dollars anyday.

joerags said:
When you think about it, weddings are SO CORNY!!!!!

The ceremony is in church, which will probably be the ONLY time the couple will ever be in a church (Seriously, do people still go to mass on Sundays anymore?). Then the reception is so corny, with the stupid usual songs you hear at weddings, like Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" and the Village People's YMCA. And you have to have the customary Chicken Dance and Electric Slide. And most of the people you have never seen in your life. Gawd, weddings make me puke.

:barf:

I've been to about half a dozen weddings over the past 2 or 3 years and have yet to hear the real cheeseball music you speak of. Weddings can be and usually are a lot of fun. Especially if the bride or groom is an old college friend. The wedding basically turns into a college reunion with your friends singing Glory Days or Livin' On A Prayer. And if you don't know anyone there, then it's an open invitation to be the drunk jackass that everyone remembers.

It baffles me how people can be hating on weddings so much. Yes, they can be a hassle, but it is worth the fun. Maybe the haters just haven't been to a good wedding before.

for my wedding, i think i'd want something more on the modern side with maybe just a splash of traditional.

i've already been married once so i've done the elope with no dress and no guests. that's not to say that i want a big, extravagant wedding next time. i don't even want bridesmaids. i plan on involving my fiance (when i get one that is, lol) as much as he would want to be involved.

i also want a small wedding with only close friends and family. i don't want to get married in a church either, which makes it hard since i'm catholic. i don't believe catholics can get married by a priest outside of church. i don't remember. oh well, i didn't get married by a priest last time either. oh, and a cheese-free reception. we'll be playing songs we actually like, thanks. no "get up off your ass!" crap.

i'd rather have a small wedding and a nice, long honeymoon than blow money on one afternoon and not have money but for like a long weekend out of town. there's nothing wrong with that, but if i could afford something better by having a smaller wedding, i'm all for it.

I love weddings.
Big ones, small ones, cheap ones, lavish ones.
I think its interesting how each one is differnent from flowers to music, from elaborate ceremony to shot-gun quick, from cold-cut buffets to sit-down service of stuffed chicken to 250 people at the same exact moment!
What it boils down to for me though, is 'did everyone have a good time?'
Thats what its really meant to be. A Celebration. A good time had by all.
Here I am 19 years into my marriage and family and friends still comment on what a great time they had at our wedding. And mine was pretty simple. Our dads still joke about how one paid for the soda and the other for the beer and the two tabs were within $5 of each other :lol: My youngest brother still talks about paying the band to stay another hour THREE times and no one had every heard their music before (they knew not a single cover)
Having everything 'just perfect' for the bride and groom is great, but having everyone remember something good about it means so much more.

randhail said:

I've been to about half a dozen weddings over the past 2 or 3 years and have yet to hear the real cheeseball music you speak of. Weddings can be and usually are a lot of fun. Especially if the bride or groom is an old college friend. The wedding basically turns into a college reunion with your friends singing Glory Days or Livin' On A Prayer. And if you don't know anyone there, then it's an open invitation to be the drunk jackass that everyone remembers.

It baffles me how people can be hating on weddings so much. Yes, they can be a hassle, but it is worth the fun. Maybe the haters just haven't been to a good wedding before.

It's more that I sound bitter than anything because I don't think I will ever get married. I admit that I am jealous that people get married, and here I am, a single guy who will probably be single for the rest of my life. :sad:

But you know what? I am going to retract on my promise of never attending another wedding. If I get invited to a wedding again, I'll go and enjoy the time and be happy for the couple. Weddings could actually help me overcome my shyness. After all, weddings are always pretty fun. So forget what I earlier posted. :reject:

actually, were i to have some sort of consolation ceremony, then the following songs would be banned:

the chicken dance
celebration
all night long
i will survive
YMCA
the electric slide
shout (not the Tears for Fears one)
we are family
it's raining men

and i'm sure there's many more.

Irvine511 said:
actually, were i to have some sort of consolation ceremony, then the following songs would be banned:

the chicken dance
celebration
all night long
i will survive
YMCA
the electric slide
shout (not the Tears for Fears one)
we are family
it's raining men

and i'm sure there's many more.

I'm adding the Cha-Cha Slide to the list.

randhail said:

Maybe the haters just haven't been to a good wedding before.

I've been to a ton of weddings. Ton. Some have been really fun (my cousin's two years ago, for example), some have been totally dull, stiff affairs (aforementioned boss's wedding), some were way too big (friend who had 450 guests), some were intimate, etc.

I just find that generally they are overblown affairs and huge wastes of money. I know that if I got married, I would not want to blow that sort of cash on one evening or God forbid expect my parents to. It's just really silly to me.

I'm really looking forward to my friend's wedding next September, but I'm also completely broke and buried in student loans and being a bridesmaid will add costs that I really don't need to bear at this point. I told her had she waited a year she could have gotten a lawyer gift; as it stands she'll get a law student gift. :wink:

I hate weddings too.

Mine was a big cookout party, very nontraditional, we wrote our own cermony,...I wore a dress that cost 30 bucks and the whole sheeee-bang set us back 300 bucks..and that all went for food and booze. We cooked ourselves, did everythign ourselves. Everyone wore jeans, we got married outside our friends and family gathered around us we decorated with wildflowers and pumpkins from the garden (it was fall) We had a great time..had music and a bonfire at night..both sides of the family mingled and had a great time.

The older I get, the simpler my imaginary wedding plans get.

I think the point that will cause me the most stress will be "what should we have the DJ play at the reception"? :lol:

I'd probably end up just plugging in an iPod with a playlist we both had sweated over for weeks. Marrying someone who loves music is a must for me. :wink:

corianderstem said:

I'd probably end up just plugging in an iPod with a playlist

I tried to do this! I wanted to set up a table, and then a cardboard cut out of like Chewbacca or something as a fake dj. It'd have been funny and saved probably around a thousand dollars.

I was shot down... hard.

anitram said:

Why?

I went to a wedding that used an iPod and it was tons of fun.

I am sure that it was. And I still don't understand why I was shot down. Probably for the same reason why I don't understand flowers for the boquet need to be flown in from S. America the day of the wedding. :shrug:

I've been to a ton of weddings during my lifetime because I'm from a big family and have a gazillion cousins. Fortunately, my family is pretty laid-back and not into impressing other people, so the weddings turn out to be more dressed-up versions of family reunion picnics.

I do think some wedding customs are incredibly stupid, however. Even though I'm single I always stay seated when the bridal bouquet is being thrown and have to endure all the teasing and ribbing from everyone who thinks I should join the crowd trying to catch it. Ugh. Then again, practically no one in my family understands the concept that you can be unmarried and NOT desparate.

Snowlock said:

I am sure that it was. And I still don't understand why I was shot down. Probably for the same reason why I don't understand flowers for the boquet need to be flown in from S. America the day of the wedding. :shrug:

best of luck :wink: :hug:

I think weddings that are simple and inexpensive and all about a good and healthy relationship are good. I can't stand tons of money being spent on weddings to try to impress and/or outdo other people. I also can't stand all the drama and fights that weddings can and do cause. Personally I think it's very wasteful to spend lots of money on a wedding.

Too many people are all about the wedding then oops, here comes the actual marriage.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think weddings that are simple and inexpensive and all about a good and healthy relationship are good. I can't stand tons of money being spent on weddings to try to impress and/or outdo other people. I also can't stand all the drama and fights that weddings can and do cause. Personally I think it's very wasteful to spend lots of money on a wedding.

Too many people are all about the wedding then oops, here comes the actual marriage.

Very, very well said.

Ok: My dream wedding..

I'll go full Gothic gear, you know, the leather equivalent pants, chains, skulls..the whole nine, play either 'Bound and Tied' by Creed or 'Get Stoned' by Hinder, and have complete non vows from a complete nonpriest.

Of course, I'm kidding about most of this. I'd be happy with a justice of the peace and a nice house party with close friends. All two of them. Hell, actually, most of the people I know would be mightily surprised to find out I have a boyfriend. They'd faint if I consented to get married. They're under the impression that I'd barely tolerate another human being in my space.

But yah. I hate weddings. They're expensive and stupid. People spend so much on the wedding that they're in debt for 20 years. The debt lasts longer than the wedding. Spend that money on a house or condo, idiot. Not to mention, wedding are BORING.

Snowlock said:

I am sure that it was. And I still don't understand why I was shot down.

I'm sure it was the cardboard cutout of Chewie that got you the "NO".

:wink:

Most DJs even use iPods now at receptions. The only reason I'm having one is because I want someone besides a guest or family member to be responsible for making announcements and whatnot.

just came back from an awful wedding.

tacky, rude guests, and piss-poor organization. no one knew what was happening when, and the DJ was a huge, huge waste of money. i think the only songs he played were the ones on my "no-play" list, and even a few i forgot -- "conga" and "we like to party."

I would love love LOVE to get married like in Braveheart - eloping into a forest in the Scottish Highlands in the middle of the night :drool:

Of course my mother would murder me if I eloped in any shape or form :uhoh: Darn her and her sentimental need for gift registries and centrepieces! :sad:

Back
Top Bottom