I dont like weddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissMaCo said:
Just married couples don't need matching towels and toaster with their initials on it, they already have all of this if they lived together before the wedding. Just married couples just need time together on an exotic island :heart:

:up:

for my gay consolation not-really-a-honeymoon, i want to go here:

737.jpg

UberBeaver said:

HAHA. I was just going to say there's a lot misanthropes in this topic.

Weddings are awesome. Open bars + Friends = Win. Come on, people. Lighten up! I wish I had a wedding to attend every weekend. (Aside from the cost of the gift and all that. :grumpy: ) Plus - and here's the kicker - these are your friends and family members GETTING MARRIED! That's a happy thing. :happy: <--- Like that. Or maybe :D or at the very least :) . Be happy for them, ya selfish, miserable sods. :tsk:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And a few years down the line they are going to get divorced and whine and bitch incessantly to all their friends about the loser/bitch they married (the one all their friends already knew was a loser/bitch). Or they won't get divorced -- they just do the incessant whining and bitching. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm cynical and jaded. :grumpy:

indra said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And a few years down the line they are going to get divorced and whine and bitch incessantly to all their friends about the loser/bitch they married (the one all their friends already knew was a loser/bitch). Or they won't get divorced -- they just do the incessant whining and bitching. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm cynical and jaded. :grumpy:

No they won't! I LIKE weddings, just not over the top make me feel stupid weddings. If your friends get married be happy for them! My brother is getting married in September to the woman he was secretly in love with in school and she was dating some other loser. After seeing his face, and how happy he is to be marrying her, if I hated weddings before I wouldn't now. They are having a military wedding so that means lots of drunken soldiers with swords. I think it'll be great!

Why can't a best "man" be a woman? Is there a new rule?

One of the main reasons I don't like weddings is all the most recent ones we've been invited to (or asked to stand in) have been at the WORST possible times. Yes, I like to see my friends happy and celebrate with them, but you know what I like more? Being home with my family on Christmas, not blowing several thousands of dollars having to fly to someplace that we'd probably never get to b/c of snow, or having to spend a holiday driving on roads that are so full of snow and slush it's really not even safe.... Do I dislike Christmas weddings? Yes, I HATE them!!! If you're just inviting your family, who you are going to see anyway, cool, but please leave everyone else out of it!!!

indra said:

Maybe, but that's not the wedding's fault. Worry about that later. Enjoy the event.

Registry's are fun :drool:

To be fair I also did setup a charity registry in addition to the traditional registry. Guests will have the option to make donations to Keep A Child Alive in our name. For guest favors, we are setting up a "candy buffet"--basically a bunch of red candies like licorice, M&M's and whatnot and a framed letter that states we chose to donate to KACA in our guests honor. We thought that would be better than giving something like "LOVE" coasters that nobody really wants.

I made a registry b/c after your wedding, Target gives you 30% off everything on the list. So who cares if people actually use it? If you need to buy things for your home/apartment, it's 30% off!! :macdevil: :reject:

And instead of party favors, we made a donation to the scholarship fund in the name of one of my best friends who died a few years ago.

UberBeaver said:

HAHA. I was just going to say there's a lot misanthropes in this topic.

Weddings are awesome. Open bars + Friends = Win. Come on, people. Lighten up! I wish I had a wedding to attend every weekend. (Aside from the cost of the gift and all that. :grumpy: ) Plus - and here's the kicker - these are your friends and family members GETTING MARRIED! That's a happy thing. :happy: <--- Like that. Or maybe :D or at the very least :) . Be happy for them, ya selfish, miserable sods. :tsk:

:up:

find me a groom and I'll hook you up with an open bar :wink:

Mr. BAW said:
Its a place where you can register what you want...for instance, new hedge trimmers, lawn mower, clippers, rake, gloves, knee pads, etc..... things you can use.....:wink:

grass :shifty:

:lol: all this talk about how i don't like weddings and i just got invited to a friend's wedding all the way in AZ. i don't mind though, i think it is worth it. she's had a really rough life. this guy is truly a blessing. he is the answer to her prayers, even when she gave up on hope. i am really looking forward to meeting him and seeing them together, and i'm honored to celebrate the love.

sorry, but the ewok quote was an absolute necesity.

I went to my old boss's wedding 2 years ago. It was on the top floor of a 5*, luxury hotel and the bill was about $35K for a reception of 75 people. I think that's RIDICULOUS. They were not wealthy; his wife was an only child and the parents insisted that they have the most beautiful wedding possible. The food was expensive and came in tiny amounts. Everything was totally over the top, and the registry was at a very high-end store, so you couldn't get away cheapskating it.

$35K is just ridiculous if you ask me. I can't understand how you'd justify spending that much, even if you can afford it. Especially for a wedding that's so small.

anitram said:
$35K is just ridiculous if you ask me. I can't understand how you'd justify spending that much, even if you can afford it. Especially for a wedding that's so small.

and that's fairly cheap compared to what you'd pay for a city wedding in first-tier cities -- NYC, LA, SF, Boston, DC, i'd assume Toronto as well -- as i had friends who said you could "easily" pay $50K.

so they went to Tuscany and got married there and saved many thousands of dollars.

though one of the nicest weddings i went to was easily the cheapest. they made all the decorations -- lovely sea grass, sand, and stones from Cape Cod as centerpieces -- they rented out a space on one of the nearby unversities that was old and new england-y and atomospheric, the college dining services did the food, everyone brought desserts, and they made their own CDs instead of hiring a DJ. i can't imagine it cost any more than $2K, if that. lesbians certainly know how to stretch a dollar :wink:

If I ever tie the knot, I want to get married in the backyard of my parents house. I do not want to wear shoes or wear anything fancy. I want a bbq, a cheap metal tub full of ice and drinks. simple and cheap. I'd rather save the money for a vacation.

I performed all my wedding obligations 5 years ago. :)

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
If I ever tie the knot, I want to get married in the backyard of my parents house. I do not want to wear shoes or wear anything fancy. I want a bbq, a cheap metal tub full of ice and drinks. simple and cheap. I'd rather save the money for a vacation.

I performed all my wedding obligations 5 years ago. :)

I, hater of weddings, wouldn't mind being a guest at that kind of wedding either. :yes:

Yep, I seem to be all out of weddings I have to attend now too. Yay!!

I thought you guys may get a kick out of this. I was just informed through a mutual friend that I am a bridesmaid for a wedding next April and told what dress I need....

The bride never even asked me if I wanted to be a bridesmaid. :|

that's just rude - I wouldn't do it if she ever does ask you :der:

I was told that the original owners of my house had their son marry in the yard underneath the purple-flowered tree that provides shade and a beautiful blanket of flowers (I can't remember the name). And we do have a patio with wisteria that blooms annually as well. Though the last party at this house was last week with 25 13-year-old teens :crack:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I don't understand why people who don't like weddings/receptions/etc don't just RSVP "No thanks."

You're either female or single. :lol: Attached males usually don't have much free will when it comes to attending weddings.

By the way, all this negativity I'm spewing in this thread I should note, I'm VERY excited about *being* married. It's the *getting* married part I loathe.

I was suggesting U2 songs to my lovely fiance that we could walk into our reception to. Sort of a queue the music and one of my groomsmen takes the mic and says "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Mr. & Mrs...)

I thought Window In The Skies would be good, but seriously too cheesy. Then I thought Beautiful Day. A great one would be that beach clip All My Life but the quality isn't good enough. Then me being me I offered...

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
&
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

:mac:

Last edited:
Oh, I thought of the one thing I truly hate about weddings. I hate that couples are introduced as Mr & Mrs guy's name, guy's last name. :mad: Why does the wife have to be Mrs. husband's first name, last name??? That's such a crock!

I have actively campaigned for using both first names in the introduction amongst my friends.

Snowlock said:

I was suggesting U2 songs to my lovely fiance that we could walk into our reception to. Sort of a queue the music and one of my groomsmen takes the mic and says "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Mr. & Mrs...)

I thought Window In The Skies would be good, but seriously too cheesy. Then I thought Beautiful Day. A great one would be that beach clip All My Life but the quality isn't good enough. Then me being me I offered...

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
&
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

:mac:

The opening minute of City of Blinding Lights works great for walking in. Could go for Streets too, or anything without a lot of words and that builds up.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Oh, I thought of the one thing I truly hate about weddings. I hate that couples are introduced as Mr & Mrs guy's name, guy's last name. :mad: Why does the wife have to be Mrs. husband's first name, last name??? That's such a crock!

I have actively campaigned for using both first names in the introduction amongst my friends.

Because everything else tends to be about the bride and the groom tends to be an afterthought - so sort of throwing the groom a bone :shrug:

indra said:

I, hater of weddings
:lol:

If I could do my wedding all over again and have an expensive dream wedding I think I would rather save the money and spend it on traveling/vacation.

I like close family and friends gatherings and partys, I guess I just don't like the formality, protocol, stress, expense etc of weddings.

Mr. BAW said:
Its a place where you can register what you want...for instance, new hedge trimmers, lawn mower, clippers, rake, gloves, knee pads, etc..... things you can use.....:wink:
:lol: i am married to my work so i have that stuff already available .

Back
Top Bottom