Does racism still exist?....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Trip!!!!!!!!

What absolutely fantastic news!!!!!

All the best to you sweetie :hug:

haha. thanks so much ya'll. you're so sweet! i never thought the opportunity would arise on interference for me to disclose my pregnancy, but thanks in part to soulfulmofo's thread (sorry to bring it off topic)...;)

i am starting to believe that there is a chance I too am carrying an alien baby on board. :| but then again, that would be too much of a coinky-dink, wouldn't it? anyway, there is only room for one alien baby around interference, and that distinction belongs to none other than angela harlem. :sexywink:

Ooh you mark my words Trip, your little egg could very well be an alien as well. Just wait til the first ultrasound! It is all there in black and white with a little pulsing blob where the heart is :D
We found ourselves making comparisons to food the whole time. She started off as a peanut and eventually became watermelon size. Its a huge journey and a very fascionating one at that!

Keep your feet up matie and sleep as much as you can!

(You'll get really sick of all this advice soon enough!)

smilie_schwanger.gif

of course racism still exists. i have also fallen victim to it. a couple of years ago, when i lived in southern california, i was working part time at a small store when a young black man, probably no older than eighteen, came in and robbed me. he stuck a gun to my head, and began to scream in my face. i was terrified. i could not move. even now it is difficult to talk about. he became frustrated and then very violent. i will never forget how that gun felt pressed to my head. i was sure i was going to die because he didn't bother to hide his face. there was no time to think or to pray. i cannot remember feeling anything but certainty that those were my last moments.

when he finally left, with all of two hundred dollars in a bag, i was so terrified that i refused to give a description of him to the police. i was afraid he would return. for a long while after, i was terrified of young black men. is this racism? stupidity? or just plain fear?

:hug:bonosgirl84:hug:

I don't think that's racism. I think you would've felt the same way about people with long blonde hair if the guy who robbed you had fit that description.

:hug:bg84:hug:

thats just awful...im so sorry you had to go thru that:sad:

its not racism, like meggy said, if someone of any certain description attacked or robbed me, i would be terrified of anyone who looked like the guy who did that to me. im glad you came out of it alive too!:hug:

you know, I'm just puzzled and frustrated... I mean, I live right here in So.Cal. where Hollywood preaches tolerance and racial harmony... that you'd think the neighboring communities would follow suit...

I mean, So.Cal. is probably seen as one of the most liberal and racially diverse region in U.S. ... yet there's still the familiar phenomena known as racism. :angry:

TripThruUreWires said:
haha. thanks so much ya'll. you're so sweet! i never thought the opportunity would arise on interference for me to disclose my pregnancy, but thanks in part to soulfulmofo's thread (sorry to bring it off topic)...;)

i am starting to believe that there is a chance I too am carrying an alien baby on board. :| but then again, that would be too much of a coinky-dink, wouldn't it? anyway, there is only room for one alien baby around interference, and that distinction belongs to none other than angela harlem. :sexywink:

Good God. And here's me thinking it was bad enough having big Brooke around. Now we'll have little Brooke as well.

theSoulfulMofo said:
you know, I'm just puzzled and frustrated... I mean, I live right here in So.Cal. where Hollywood preaches tolerance and racial harmony... that you'd think the neighboring communities would follow suit...

I mean, So.Cal. is probably seen as one of the most liberal and racially diverse region in U.S. ... yet there's still the familiar phenomena known as racism. :angry:

Despite the diversity, racism is still alive and well in our area I'm afraid. I still hear things like "I don't play golf there anymore...the damn Koreans took it over" or "I was driving home the other night and I saw this black guy walking down your street...what was he doing there?" The worst examples are when people don't realize that my husband is Hispanic and make comments about the "damn Mexicans" or use words I won't repeat here.

I can't be hateful to anyone because of their color or race and it makes me so sad that other people can be.

bonosgirl84 said:
of course racism still exists. i have also fallen victim to it. ....

The first thing I want to say is I am glad you were not harmed and I hope this criminal is caught and locked up for a long time.

But I fail to see how you were the victim of racism here. I believe this armed robber chose to rob you only because you worked at a store that had cash.

An individual robbed you, not the melanin in his skin.

You should be afraid of shifty characters, that come in store when no one else is around, perhaps wear baggy clothes where they can conceal a gun.

Behavior can be criminal, pigmentation never should be taken into consideration.

The over whelming majority of young black males are law-abiding, god fearing young men.
Sadly they are not treated that way by many of us.

BAWife,

I think you might appreciate this story.

I went to the Edwards Movie theaters in Anaheim Hills with a couple of friends.
It was a Friday evening.
Just as the previews ended and the feature started a little toddler about a year old started to cry.
My friend looked over and noticed the parents were Hispanics.
He said to me,?Why did the Mexicans have to bring that baby to the movies??
I said, ?Yeah, Why did all the people of Mexico pool all their money together to send that little baby to the movies? Good question, James.?

um, deep...what i was saying was that i felt i had fallen victim to BECOMING a racist by being afraid of black men, not that I had been targeted due to my race. i am sorry you misunderstood me.

That's just the kind of comment I was talking about deep. I mean, we all know that only babies of color cry during movies, right? :rolleyes:

People sure talk a good game about being tolerant but then comments like these show that old stereotypes and prejudices still exist. The only difference is, people are just a little more careful about saying them out loud.

i need to leave this thread because i am starting to get mad.

anyway, i have been called a 'spic' on the streets and have been denied service at a resturant because of what i look like. i have dated guys who were too scared to take me home and introduce me to their parents because they were ashamed of my culture. i know this is why i have a problem with dating. i have only dated one latin and the rest have been white and out of all the ones i dated only one took me home to meet his family and friends and that was the latin guy. oh well maybe one day i will meet a guy who will not have issues with my culture and not be too ashamed to introduce me to his family.

bonosgirl84 said:
um, deep...what i was saying was that i felt i had fallen victim to BECOMING a racist by being afraid of black men, not that I had been targeted due to my race. i am sorry you misunderstood me.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I did not get it the first time.

I was guilty of racists attitudes in my youth though things that happened to me. I had to deconstruct them and reaslize that the black students that were bused to my white school in the 60s and 70s were doing bad things because of their social economic back ground and not their skin color.

:( I didn't mean for this thread to become another "FYM" thread :slant:

MissVelvet, I'm sorry for how this thread might have affected you... :sad:

To everyone: I sincerely hope this thread doesn't turn out making everybody vicious about personal opinions on race and racism... I just hope that everyone leaves this thread with mutual understanding and peace, not resentment and bitterness...

Worse comes to worse, this thread might as well be closed :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom