Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a race against the UK variant.

It doesn’t help when states like Iowa say it’s all over and release all restrictions. Ditto for Supreme Court saying CA has to allow indoor church gatherings.

There is definitely light at end of tunnel but i think we got one more big surge left in us until we get into the open
I think it's more a race against an unknown or yet developed mutation vs. any of the existing/known mutations.

The vaccines we have approved here all seem to be still effective against the various mutations.

AstraZeneca's vaccine appears to have issues with the South African mutation, which is a problem for sure, but that particular vaccine isn't approved in the US.

Once J&J is approved, provides it does t show issues with the mutations, it could be a real game changer.

We're also fast approaching warmer weather. Keep an emphasis on outdoor dining through the spring, keep mask wearing going, keep the vaccines coming... there's a light at the end of the tunnel that can finally be seen.

I meant it's a race to get vaccinated before the UK variant takes over as the dominant strain. There's risk we still have one more big surge to get through if we can't get enough vaccines in arms.

Luckily the next month isn't really much for holidays or events so we shouldn't have giant super spreader events (minus a potential flare up of Super Bowl Sunday).

The most promising aspect of the vaccines, minus the AZ one (only cause it's data seems to be a mess) is that they prevent severe illness. I am curious to see if the vaccines also prevent some of the damage we see in asymptomatic infection.

Despite our horrific roll out, we're actually on pace to achieve herd immunity this year - well in advance of other western nations. And the roll out will only improve now that there's competent leadership at the federal level, not to mention the increase in types of vaccines.

And this decrease is happening while we're still in winter. Aa we move into March/April we'll see the cases start to drop on their own as more people move outdoors. Combine it with the vaccine and I'm really bullish on what the summer could bring.

I think by fall we could be in a situation where yes, there will still be the occasional flare up, but it'll be more localized and easier to stamp out.

Frankly the most encouraging sign that this is working is Florida. Cases are declining and, well, this is florida.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1358626011479486464

side note - The "we'll never go back to normal telecommuting is here to stay" trend also seems to be doing out. Zoom Fatigue is real and people are getting sick and tired of looking at a fucking screen all day.

Last edited:
I refuse to buy into the negative projections of the media and some medical people regarding things getting better. Basically because my mental health can't take it.

The lead vaccinator and his needle....

GettyImages-1026002856.jpg

Both of the diabetic members of my family are getting their first vaccine doses this week.

That's great news. My diabetic brother is getting his first dose next week, at his dr's office.

My state has been given an F for vaccine rollout and distribution. And it's well deserved. It makes me very angry, and I blame the governor. A resident who is home on maternity leave created an easier better web site for vaccine appointments than our state government did.

I should be getting my first dose - shot within the next few weeks. My company released a letter to most of us saying because we are a medical device manufacturer, we fall into the next tier.

Have to show the letter and my badge (or other proof of employment) and I’m good to go. Was not expecting to be eligible this soon but I’m gonna take advantage

Sounds like LA teachers will start being vaccinated in the next 2-3 weeks, so I suspect I'll be receiving my dose at some point in March.

That's great news. My diabetic brother is getting his first dose next week, at his dr's office.

My state has been given an F for vaccine rollout and distribution. And it's well deserved. It makes me very angry, and I blame the governor. A resident who is home on maternity leave created an easier better web site for vaccine appointments than our state government did.

We're #42! We're #42! Hooray!!

All adults with preexisting conditions are supposed to be next in DC and god damn it I haven't completely stopped working out for the last 6 months for nothing.

I better come up with a pre-existing condition fast because apparently the government thought I was expendable enough to make me come into work from day 0 of this pandemic but not worth it to vax me up.

Which for me is totally the right thing to do re: me waiting my turn, because my workplace is pretty non-exposure, but wow do I feel bad for grocery workers and foodservice people, who really really got the shit end of the stick.

I better come up with a pre-existing condition fast because apparently the government thought I was expendable enough to make me come into work from day 0 of this pandemic but not worth it to vax me up.

Which for me is totally the right thing to do re: me waiting my turn, because my workplace is pretty non-exposure, but wow do I feel bad for grocery workers and foodservice people, who really really got the shit end of the stick.
I have a friend who is with a marketing agency that has a government contract who has received the vaccine because he's technically doing government work.

I'd dig into this more. You might be eligible already. He's in Virginia so may be different rules.

I have a friend who is with a marketing agency that has a government contract who has received the vaccine because he's technically doing government work.

I'd dig into this more. You might be eligible already. He's in Virginia so may be different rules.

I work for an FFRDC, which is one step closer to the government than a contractor. I’ve inquired - I was really hoping they’d lump us in as 1C but they’re not.

Though I work between MD, DC, and VA, and my residence is in DC, my technical workplace is in VA so I’m also out there. I only moved into the city because my heart beat out my mind and said this pandemic would get better sooner.

Curious what people think in this hypothetical

Scientists are saying were in the eye of the hurricane, that B117 is a few weeks away from being the dominant strain, and states are rolling back restrictions.

If another large surge hits the country, does Biden order a large scale lockdown which he’s on record saying he would do (if the scientists say it’ll help/work) ?

Does another massive surge hurt his Presidency since the Right will hammer him on any disaster or trauma??

I hope that we have seen the worst of the surges, but it does kinda feel like this time last year where we just don’t know what’s happening.

Granted we have the vaccines, better hospital treatments, and some natural immunity built up.

It’s looking at those graphs from England, Ireland, and others that got wrecked by B117 which is scary considering our 3rd surge was so massive on the old strain.

Guess only time will tell

I think that with so many of the highest risk individuals immunized, you may very well see high case counts but comparatively low deaths and hospitalizations.

Generally speaking, I don't think the average person is ready for the third wave of lockdowns, particularly ones imposed after winter and when the weather starts to finally improve.

At this point, we really have to start considering the reality of the situation of how people will respond en masse - we can't pretend like we have a largely compliant society. Maybe we never did, but at this point, the willingness to comply with further lockdowns is extremely low across the board.

Being in "the eye of the hurricane" suggests we're only halfway through this mess. I wholeheartedly disagree with that assertion based on the data we have available to us.

Making a 1:1 comparison between the UK and the US with regards to the impact of B117 is impossible because the UK had not fully vaccinated more than 1% of its population by the start of 2021, at which point they were deep into their worst surge. In contrast, there are some smaller US states such as Alaska and West Virginia that have already given doses to over 20% of their population. This buffer will make a significant difference in those communities.

It's possible that the day-to-day cratering of cases that we're seeing will plateau or even reverse soon in response to restrictions being rolled back (where applicable), but unless we've been lied to about the efficacy of the vaccines against B117, this is a race that the variant is likely to lose with 2-3 million doses being administered each day.

Last edited:
Being in "the eye of the hurricane" suggests we're only halfway through this mess. I wholeheartedly disagree with that assertion based on the data we have available to us.

Making a 1:1 comparison between the UK and the US with regards to the impact of B117 is impossible because the UK had not fully vaccinated more than 1% of its population by the start of 2021, at which point they were deep into their worst surge. In contrast, there are some smaller US states such as Alaska and West Virginia that have already given doses to over 20% of their population. This buffer will make a significant difference in those communities.

It's possible that the day-to-day cratering of cases that we're seeing will plateau or even reverse soon in response to restrictions being rolled back (where applicable), but unless we've been lied to about the efficacy of the vaccines against B117, this is a race that the variant is likely to lose with 2-3 million doses being administered each day.

I was preparing a similar post in my mind. I don’t like the hurricane analogy at all. It implies it is imminent.

Two main reasons why I think we are in a good position: the vaccination rate (creeping on 15% of the population and speeding up), and the extremely high rate of positives we are coming down from. The summation of total cases all-time plus vaccinations implies that there’s some level of immunity greater than or equal to the current vaccinated population.

This doesn’t mean we don’t have rough times ahead, so much as we are equipped pretty well going forward.

If another large surge hits the country, does Biden order a large scale lockdown which he’s on record saying he would do (if the scientists say it’ll help/work) ?
There will be no further lockdowns, politicians view it as political poison. As has been the case since late April, we're all left to our own devices from here on out. This pandemic will last as long as possible because the government has abandoned everyone, but at least employers are still allowed to demand you work.

Good news is that Israel has shown the rna vaccines provide great blockage against the B117 variant. If that one is the primary here in another month than our vaccination efforts will produce good results.

What we don’t know are the SA and Brazil variants and how much they knock down protection. Boosters will be needed regardless but not sure that’s something to be knocked out immediately. There’s also the ones we have no idea about since we let this thing wash over us and gave it plenty of opportunity to rapidly mutate.

Has anyone seen any data on projected immunity from the vaccines ? CDC says if it’s been longer than 3 months since 2nd shot and you’re exposed that you should quarantine out of precaution.

CDC says if it’s been longer than 3 months since 2nd shot and you’re exposed that you should quarantine out of precaution.

That's more due to a lack of information than anything we actually know. The CDC gave the same 3 month window for traditionally acquired immunity, only for studies to reveal that people still have antibody titers nearly a year later. Apparently, the strength of vaccine-based immunity is even more robust due to its special targeting of the spike protein via polyclonal antibodies, so I would guess many will still have antibodies before a yearly booster would be required. What we don't know as well as we should is the role of t-cells in long-term immunity.

Please read this thread from one of Moderna's molecular biologists, especially starting around 6 tweets down:

[TWEET]1360921383711215618[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom