Good U2 songs to cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
Question to all U2ers here in bands : which U2 songs do u cover? (and how do you arrange them?)

I'm in a band of 3, with me on guitar, keyboard + vocals, a bassist + a drummer. We've covered One, Beautiful Day + Mothers of the Disappeared. THey're probably the easiest ones to cover.

Unfortunately, I'm the only hard core U2 fan in the band, so I have to limit how much U2 we play. I would love to have a go at Exit though, and HMTMKMKM

What do u think?

Seems like Desire, Staring At The Sun, and A Sort of Homecoming might be cool to cover as well. I've thought about this before, in case I ever start a band. :)

I've played "Stay" many a times as a cover. I do it acoustic. Also, I've done Running to Stand still acoustic. Twas magical.

Elevation would be great as well. Its an easy riff and you do some interesting changes to it, if you wanted to be creative.

My band did a medley of Desire and Bullet the Blue Sky a few times. We arranged it so after the "Burning, Burning" part in Desire we broke it down and went it the speaking part of Bullet. At the end of the speaking part in Bullet I'd adlib something about money similar to thing Bono did on the Rattle and Hum version, and then went back to Desire "and the love money, money" then finished out Desire. It worked really well.

NShaik said:
Question to all U2ers here in bands : which U2 songs do u cover? (and how do you arrange them?)

I'm in a band of 3, with me on guitar, keyboard + vocals, a bassist + a drummer. We've covered One, Beautiful Day + Mothers of the Disappeared. THey're probably the easiest ones to cover.

Unfortunately, I'm the only hard core U2 fan in the band, so I have to limit how much U2 we play. I would love to have a go at Exit though, and HMTMKMKM

What do u think?

unless you've got a sequencer to play the keyboard parts on those songs while you play guitar, or have a sub guitarist while you play the keys, I'm not sure what those tunes would sound like.:no:

this is one reason I don't like u2 cover bands: not getting the music right, let alone the crushing fact that there is no substitute for bono, ever.:wink:

u are wrong :madspit:
with my band, called Feedback :rolleyes:
we play (having two guitarist) the studio version of the songs and we have a really similar sound...if u don't think so go here:

http://utenti.lycos.it/d00m3r/newpage0.html

download beautiful day and mysterious ways ;)

(the ground beneath her feet is rearranged half acoustic

tell me what you think about ;)

BizioVox said:
u are wrong :madspit:
with my band, called Feedback :rolleyes:
we play (having two guitarist) the studio version of the songs and we have a really similar sound...if u don't think so go here:

http://utenti.lycos.it/d00m3r/newpage0.html

download beautiful day and mysterious ways ;)

(the ground beneath her feet is rearranged half acoustic

tell me what you think about ;)

what I think is that there's still a keyboard playing the intro to beutiful day there my friend.:sexywink:
oh...I see....there IS a second guitarist.....in that case you can do it no problem.
pretty good ...but I think your drummer needs to check out larry's drum parts a little closer.:larry:

Last edited:
Wow, my band and I have covered a lot of U2 songs. We perform regularly, write our own stuff, and do covers also. We've covered:

Dirty Day
One
Staring At The Sun (acoustic)
Last Night On Earth
Elevation
Peace On Earth/Walk On
Sunday Bloody Sunday (acoustic)
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Desire (acoustic)
The Fly
Until The End Of The World

I'm the singer/rhythm guitar player, so I have the easy job. I know that the easier songs for us were the acoustic tunes, and Elevation, BTBS and Dirty Day were pretty easy too.

The difficult songs for us have been Walk On (I never thought we could get this to sound very good), The Fly and Until The End Of The World. Although I would honestly say that 99% of U2's music is pretty easy to play.

You could pull off Exit. It's really easy...all the singing is during the quiet guitar parts which would make it easy...the bass line is the same during the song.

exit

the canadian band i mother earth covered exit once and did a smash up job of it. that's the band that formerly "edwin" was the singer. he split and sang that song "alive." anyway, they got a new singer and covered 'exit' and i think it's great. you sing when it's quiet and then you just let it rip.

my dream is to do a good cover of wtshnn but every cover i've ever heard of that song is just awful. ever remix is terrible as well.

We've covered alot of U2 stuff:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Desire
All Along the Watchtower (U2 version)
Helter Skelter (U2 version)
and many others
Id really like for us to cover Silver and Gold, Exit, God Part II, Bad, etc.

I like to play ES for the chords. Not a coverband though. Just me and my piano.

Back
Top Bottom