Edge using a Tele for Magnificent for the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, in addition to smashing the 175, Bono has put a foot through a Vox amp and thrown a drum kit at Larry. He needs to learn to take a deep breath and count to ten....:D

jimi_hendrix_biography.jpg

Damn, couldn't he have done that to one of his old Fender Leads instead of that hollowbody? Oy.

I think his Fender Lead II has been gone for ages. Maybe not?

Maybe it's at home in his closet?

Perhaps it could have been drowned, like many guitars were, in the flood at Hanover Quay in 2002 (Whilst U2 were playing the Super Bowl)?

I'd like to know where his Danvel Nelson Telecaster might be? Custom made for him, that.

Danvel-Nelson_Tele-style-1.jpg

And where did his Gibson ES-335 - The red one seen during The Joshua Tree tour and Rattle And Hum session pics.

lt1.jpg

But THIS (Les Paul Custom - black finish) is the one I'd gladly take off his hands should he be willing to allow me guitar-sit.

Gib-Les_Paul_Custom-19xx-black-1.jpg

Although, me thinks it was the one that was refinished to look like THIS (pic below):

Gibson-LP_Custom-metallic-2.jpg

It's possible that someone (via the in ear monitor) said something to Bono about his outburst and probably about freaking out Frasier by slamming the thing. Hence, the apology. But he's good like that - whether he was asked or apologized on his own accord. That is why we all admire The B-man.

:up: Amen and we know the Edge probably felt awful about his outburst in Boston that injured an innocent Rickenbacker.

The guitar I'd most like to know what happened to is the strat with the snake and skeleton paint job on which Edge played The Fly during the ZOO tours. Anybody know where that guitar came from or what happened to it? E_O? Anybody?

I wonder why Bono only uses hollowbodies for the past decade.

My guess is I think maybe he likes the look. Like with the Fly character, it seemed kind of Elvis or Eddie Cochran-ish. And then the red and blue sparkle ES-175s went well with the primary colors of Popmart and then he settled on the Green Irish Falcon (btw it's strange to look through the Gretsch catalog and see the Irish Falcon and then realize Bono has a signature guitar but the Edge doesn't). Anyway, I don't really know, that's just my theory, that it's as much about the visual as the sound.

I think his Fender Lead II has been gone for ages. Maybe not?

Maybe it's at home in his closet?

Perhaps it could have been drowned, like many guitars were, in the flood at Hanover Quay in 2002 (Whilst U2 were playing the Super Bowl)?

I'd like to know where his Danvel Nelson Telecaster might be? Custom made for him, that.

Danvel-Nelson_Tele-style-1.jpg

And where did his Gibson ES-335 - The red one seen during The Joshua Tree tour and Rattle And Hum session pics.

lt1.jpg

But THIS (Les Paul Custom - black finish) is the one I'd gladly take off his hands should he be willing to allow me guitar-sit.

Gib-Les_Paul_Custom-19xx-black-1.jpg

Although, me thinks it was the one that was refinished to look like THIS (pic below):

Gibson-LP_Custom-metallic-2.jpg

Huh, I never heard about that flood I guess. How much stuff did they lose?

I've only ever seen one Fender Lead in person. Didn't get a chance to play it though.

The guitar I'd most like to know what happened to is the strat with the snake and skeleton paint job on which Edge played The Fly during the ZOO tours. Anybody know where that guitar came from or what happened to it? E_O? Anybody?

:drool: The Eric Clapton Strat.

I think that one was on exhibition on the RRHOF, no clue after that.

:shifty: I stole it.

:up: Amen and we know the Edge probably felt awful about his outburst in Boston that injured an innocent Rickenbacker.

Last I saw, the Clapton Stratocaster (with said skeleton and snake)...

Love_Town-Rattle_And_Hum-display-1.jpg

...was at the Cleveland R&R Hall of Fame.

010.jpg

It would look better on my living room wall... and yet MORE superior in The Edge's hands playing some U2 songs. :up:

Huh, I never heard about that flood I guess. How much stuff did they lose?

I've only ever seen one Fender Lead in person. Didn't get a chance to play it though.

They lost lots. Edge's 1967 Ric, used from R&H through Elevation. His metallic green Fernandes (WOWY on Elevation tour) are two that I remember off the top of my head. The fireglo Ric used on Vertigo was a 1965 - not the 1967 used previously. The Taylor acoustics haven't been seen since Elevation. Maybe drowned? Maybe then replaced with the Gibson J200's and J200 Pete Townshend's due to the flood? Or maybe just replaced due to different taste in acoustics post Elevation.

Notice that since Super Bowl, Adam has used a number of new (to him) bass that he didn't previously have. The Shoreline Gold and Sherwood Green Fender Jazz's were new to him for last tour. Same can be said of the Green, Gold and natural finish Lakland Darryl Jones models. The Bob Glaub and Joe Osborne model Laklands have been seen since Elevation (flood victims?). I HOPE that the Auerswald was not a victim. Just thought about that... that'd be tragic.

Ofcourse, Adam also has tons of new stuff that we've began seeing... Warwick Buzzard and Warwick Stryker. Good news is that his Gibson bass guitars seemed to be spared from flood issues.

I found out about the flood from Fernandes guitars. They were sending Edge a replacement the day I called. The flood was later confirmed.

Irony? U2 were in New Orleans (Super Bowl gig) when it happened. Hence, Edge understanding N.O. musicians losing gear in 2005/Katrina and feeling a bit closer to their plight, he was quickly on-board with Gibson for "Music Rising"

Last I saw, the Clapton Stratocaster (with said skeleton and snake)...

Love_Town-Rattle_And_Hum-display-1.jpg

...was at the Cleveland R&R Hall of Fame.

010.jpg

It would look better on my living room wall... and yet MORE superior in The Edge's hands playing some U2 songs. :up:

:drool::drool:xinfinity

Why is it on a R&H stand though? Why not ZooTV?

I'm trying to remember if we've seen Adam's '72 Precision bass (the one that had lost most of its finish) since Elevation. It'd be a shame if that one was lost in the flood. It'll give me an excuse to watch the Chicago dvd this weekend. Circa 2003: Dallas gets a phone call, Hey, Dallas we got the insurance check, would you mind picking up some vintage basses and guitars for us. Maybe they sent him out with a wishlist. :drool:

I hadn't made the connection between the flood and Edge's involvement in Music Rising, but you're absolutely right, E_O.

Lastly, it's a shame to see that strat under glass in a museum when it should be hooked up to a warm glowing tube amp and howling like a wounded beast. :drool:

Is there a full list of songs Bono has played guitar on and what guitars he has used for them? Because a lot of those (the solid body ones especially) don't register in my memory.

Is there a full list of songs Bono has played guitar on and what guitars he has used for them? Because a lot of those (the solid body ones especially) don't register in my memory.

Hmmm, not that I know of, but maybe it's time we made one. It shouldn't take too long because, unlike Mr. The Edge, Bono seems to favor one guitar at a time. I don't think he's regularly played a solidbody since the early/mid-80s.

You were correct in that Bono seems to favor hollowbody guitars more than solidbody. But he has used some solids.

Early-ish 1980's Bono used a Fender Lead II for "A Day Without Me". Use of said guitar goes through around The UF tour.

Joshua Tree tour saw Bono using more guitar: [black] Washburn EA40 for With Or Without You. He also used a Gibson J-160 during the JT tours and there was the Alvarez/Yairi DY56 [tobacco sunburst finish] (Unsure of which tunes it was used)

Picture of the Alvarez here:
Alvarez/Yairi - DY56 (electric/acoustic) - 198x - tobacco sunburst

He also had a Fender Telecaster Deluxe during the JT tour. Bono used the Danvel/Nelson (custom made) Telecaster style guitar during the JT tour also.

Hollowbody guitar-wise was a red Gibson ES335.

ZOO tours things changed yet again, with Bono favoring his black Gibson ES-175s

POPMART was the sparkle ES175s, one in red one in blue and the red 1958 Chet Atkins. Lest we forget the black Les Paul Custom, used early in the tour. This guitar seems to have been refinished with a metallic type finish during the tour.

So that cover many of those used during the 1980s to 1990s

I'm trying to figure out what songs he would have used them for, though. Why did he use a Tele during the JT Tour, for example?

I'm trying to figure out what songs he would have used them for, though. Why did he use a Tele during the JT Tour, for example?

It always seems a bit mysterious why Bono decides to play guitar on certain songs. I mean, while certainly capable, he's not a traditional rhythm guitarist. I think sometimes it is as much about the visual element as it is the sound (ie. The Fly on ZOO TV and Vertigo). And those sparkly ES-175s in red and blue look great with the Popmart backdrop. I'm wondering which of the NLOTH songs he'll play on, maybe MOS?

Danvel/Nelson built two gutiars for U2. A Strat style guitar for The Edge(see "...Streets..." on Rattle And Hum) and a Telecaster style for Bono.

Why the Telecaster style and the Telecaster custom? Bono just experimenting, I suppose.

I meant why, as in, what songs does U2 play in which Bono would play a solidbody?

It always seems a bit mysterious why Bono decides to play guitar on certain songs. I mean, while certainly capable, he's not a traditional rhythm guitarist. I think sometimes it is as much about the visual element as it is the sound (ie. The Fly on ZOO TV and Vertigo). And those sparkly ES-175s in red and blue look great with the Popmart backdrop. I'm wondering which of the NLOTH songs he'll play on, maybe MOS?

Only the title track has shown him playing any guitar, and MOS barely has a lead guitar, let alone one for him.

If they play Fez-Being Born live, he'll probably play the power chord rhythm.

I meant why, as in, what songs does U2 play in which Bono would play a solidbody?

As for the Joshua Tree tour, I am pretty sure that Bono is using the Danvel/Nelson Telecaster on some songs - check the Paris 1987 DVD that came with the JT Deluxe box.

In God's Country, from that Paris show comes to mind:
YouTube - Rare U2 In gods country live from paris 1987

Judging by the picture that I've seen of Bono with BB - "When Love Comes To Town" is probably another that Bono played a Tele Deluxe Custom

YouTube - U2 - When Love Comes To Town (Rattle and Hum)

I've seen Bono playing the black Les Paul Custom (a solid body guitar) during "Gone" and "Last Night On Earth" during the opening night show in Las Vegas.

Last Night On Earth (Vegas):
YouTube - Gone (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

Gone (Vegas):
YouTube - Last Night On Earth (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

And the metallic finished Les Paul Custom (I think the black one was refinished) was used for Last Night On Earth in Los Angeles and shows near that time frame:

Last Night On Earth (LA):
YouTube - Last night on earth

Is this the fourth guitar he's been seen playing on Magnificent? I mean, in the video he's playing the Falcon, and he's been seen playing the Music Rising guitar and the Gretsch in the promo shows. And now this.
Don't forget the brown Tele during the set on the BBC roof in London. That makes five.

Back
Top Bottom