This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song always was on my top 5, but now it is really growing a lot on me and become one of my favourites. I can't remember the last time Adam and Larry (specially Adam) did shine and standed out so much as a rhythm/bass team. Plus, those keyboards... :drool: I just love it and I think they're what gives life to the song.
This is a good example of what I expected from DM producing U2. This is also a good example of how U2 really wants to they can still create interesting pop/rock songs that run away from the self-revivalisms, from the U2-isms, but at the same time still keeping discreet hints of U2's own DNA and simultaneously sound fresh and new for U2's (latest) standards.

One of the better tracks on SOI for sure.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

SLABT was my first favorite and this has been my favorite for 2 weeks, but now I'm a bit hooked on LH.

Our local alternative station program manager plays this now. He immediately played The Miracle and SFS. I wonder what he'll play next?!

How does that work? Can any of the songs receive airplay? I don't know why I thought the songs had to be released as singles.

Okay, here me out.

The beat is very catchy and I like the song. However, does anyone else feel like the beat is very.....Halloween sounding? Like a horror movie/spooky sounding beat? Even they way he sings "College" sounds like they are "coming to get you".

Thats what I picture when I listen.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I love the Halloween sounding synth that starts at about 1:20, this has become my favorite track on the album.

Some people have criticized that sound, and all I can say is they need to lighten the fuck up.

Those synths really stood out to me from the beginning, but thankfully not as much as Edge's beautiful Rolling Stonesish guitar opening. I got over the synths and barely notice them now and they go well w/ the college square verse.

Best song in the album, for me. Wonderful job from Adam, Larry and Edge in this song. Hope they play it live, because that's the kind of song that could grow a lot being played live. This song's pace can lift up arenas and stadiums.

Best song in the album, for me. Wonderful job from Adam, Larry and Edge in this song. Hope they play it live, because that's the kind of song that could grow a lot being played live. This song's pace can lift up arenas and stadiums.
Definitely. Love this song.

After the recent comment from the band about this originally being the first song on the album, has anyone tried a new playlist with that spot?

It's weird to me to start the album with the band's political awakening before something more personal. I think they made the right choice.

After the recent comment from the band about this originally being the first song on the album, has anyone tried a new playlist with that spot?

It's weird to me to start the album with the band's political awakening before something more personal. I think they made the right choice.

Soldier soldier is more about the army of them versus those holding them back, I think. I see it fitting because Bono is talking to his dad who is discouraging them and they are going on with it anyway. Bono/the band are telling everyone they are committed to this idea of a band. After seeing The Clash live and thinking them regular blokes like themselves, being blown away by them, it gave U2 the guts to go for it. They are now fully committed - "we signed our lives away, complete surrender the only weapon we know... this is where you can reach me now.

The surrender is to the music, to the dream of their band.

Good points. Maybe it works. It is similar to The Miracle, just different band affecting them in a different way.

I usually stay far away from mixing up an album to create my own playlist. However, MOS' placement in NLOTH just won't work at all for me. I usually skip it because it just doesn't do much for me.

Now there's this new found knowledge of Reach Me Now being the long-planned opener. I'll try it, but does that mean that the rest of the album was the order it is on SOI and only Reach Me Now changed its place? Need more info! ;)

This would have made an interesting opener to the album. Sure Bono says they didn't want to lose any potential fans having a song with such a long intro starting things off. But WTSHNN is calling...

Now there's this new found knowledge of Reach Me Now being the long-planned opener. I'll try it, but does that mean that the rest of the album was the order it is on SOI and only Reach Me Now changed its place? Need more info! ;)
Raised By Wolves was originally planned as Track 2.

This would have made an interesting opener to the album. Sure Bono says they didn't want to lose any potential fans having a song with such a long intro starting things off. But WTSHNN is calling...

Yeah, he said something in that interview about putting the "songs" up front, and then pointed to JT as an example. Streets has a long, atmospheric intro that certainly took some chances considering what was popular at the time.

I just responded to the Top 15 U2 songs thread and guess which song made the cut? :D

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom