Things you DO and DON'T wanna hear on this album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you = wrong

:madspit:

:wink:

I just smell the hint of the overuse of "love" in THIS album. Only Love....For Your Love...Love Love Love....just seems a bit overdone already. But, I'm sure the songs will kick major ass and nobody will care about it.

All you need is love. :wink:

Do: Give us new metaphors
Don't: Dredge up the old ones. "beauty/soulmate", "kneeling", etc

Do: Have more free-flowing lyrics
Don't: Include verses that sound as if Bono and Edge had ping-ponged them so often that they start to sound like the result of a Mad Libs session.

...but at the same time...

Do: Have Bono sit down and write some singable prose. I miss that from the JT/AB releases
Don't: Have the prose sound like a separate animal from the music. What I love most about U2 songs is when the bass, drums, guitar and lead vocal all sound distinct, but fit together seamlessly.

Do: Have some basslines that just dominate the song. New Years, Lemon, DYFL?.. thick bass that gets stuck in your head and hips, loosens your head on your neck, and stays with you for hours after hearing it.

Don't: Lose Larry and Adam under the production.

Do: Return to being an art-rock band, the one I fell in love with around ZooTV, the kind that had people actually dancing to Numb, the kind who'd order pizza for the crowd. If the (Red)Wire intro is any indication, Bono's looking to extend his 'Edge is from the future' idea from Vertigo and push it further.

Don't: Remain static, or take yourselves too seriously.

I view HTDAAB as one of U2's best - far better than the rather disjointed ATYCLB and "Pop". The second half of ATYCLB is very weak and "Pop" is ridiculously all over the place. I'm not saying every track on "Bomb" is brilliant ("A Man and a Woman" is one of the worst U2 songs I ever heard), but I thoroughly enjoy it. Had U2 removed "A Man.." and maybe another track ("One Step Closer" is another track I avoid), but included "Fast Cars" and "Mercy" I think they would have had a true fan-loved masterpiece. So if the new album can remove more clunkers and keep the brilliance, we could have something exceptional. If, at its worse, it's as good as "Bomb", then I'll be thrilled.

Y'know, I actually agree with almost everything you've just said here about Bomb....except for Mercy...but thats ANOTHER story. :wink:

I actually think that they could have put Xanax and Wine (instead of Fast Cars) in place of AMAAW (which is indeed their worst song EVER) and it would have worked extremely well. One Step Closer is also very weak.

Though I will say that there's something about that album that doesn't flow right. I don't get that same "feeling" when I listen to Bomb like when I do with many other U2 albums. (example: UF, JT, AB, and even ATYCLB) There's something about it that doesn't gel. The songs are great, but the album isn't for some reason.

...and some great Sake.

Thats what I'm drinking right now and it kicks major ass. I highly recommend it to everyone.

CHEERS!!!!:cocktail:

Someones pretty happy now, the Sake is increasing your level of excitement and happiness.

I don't even know what i'm talking about now. :wink:

Do you realize how much time you've wasted typing all that stuff and Bono's not even gonna read it?

Let's see... I have 4500 posts in 8+ years. You have 35000+ posts in 6 years. How much time have you wasted vs. me?

And it wasn't about Bono reading it - it never was. Do any of us write for Bono to read? I mean, how ridiculous is that thought? These are just my thoughts and comments as they pertain to the thread.

And these are just that - my comments. You wrote that you stopped reading after my comment on R&H. It's unfortunate. All I wrote is that if U2 ended their career with R&H, I'd say it was on a down note - and I can honestly say that most fans and critics would agree. Now, does this say anything about the album's quality? Does it say anything about its popularity? No. But R&H was not on par with the brilliance that U2 had release before or after R&H.

I posted in this thread for fun. This is our personal wish list. But it has NOTHING to do with reality. If U2 actually listened to everyone here, they'd go insane. There's no way U2 can please everyone. So it's best not to please anyone but themselves. And I hope they do. While I don't agree with all of their practices and do feel that some recent works should be cheaper and more generous (more b-sides, no lottery, cheaper tickets, etc.), I'm happy to hear what they produce. Because regardless of whether I love every track or not, I find myself enjoying most of every album - and that's what keeps me a U2 fan.

This is why it was a shame Indra stopped really listening after R&H. That person seems to have missed out on a lot of great material. But this is all my opinion. With 35000 posts, surely you can create your own wish list of "do's and do not's" and not attack others.

neither do I...but CHEERS!!!!!:cocktail:

more SAKE!!!!!

(I just opened my second bottle)

How much are you planning to drink, better not effect your posting too much though.

Anyway, on topic.

I want an album that oozes awesomeness, craft and innovation.

I like how there is gonna be electro/techno in there. :drool: Right up my alley (POP, AB, ZOOROPA)

How much are you planning to drink, better not effect your posting too much though.

haha!

only two bottles worth. i'm too old to drink like I used to. :wink:

fine...I'll play into this thread.

I want them to include songs that are good upon the initial listen, but take many listens to become GREAT. Those are the types of songs that I love....the ones that "grow on you".

Let's see... I have 4500 posts in 8+ years. You have 35000+ posts in 6 years. How much time have you wasted vs. me?

owned.jpg

haha!

only two bottles worth. i'm too old to drink like I used to. :wink:

fine...I'll play into this thread.

I want them to include songs that are good upon the initial listen, but take many listens to become GREAT. Those are the types of songs that I love....the ones that "grow on you".

I'd prefer songs that with first listen are kickass and as you listen to it more and more are more kickass. :D

He said Stay was a try hard song. :angry: I strongly despise that comment.

Yeah, I despise most of what people write too. :wink: But I read it because it presents an alternative view and helps expand my own thinking.

"Stay" isn't a bad song. But it does try too hard. "Stay" was "Zooropa's" version of WoWY or "One". It tries to be this brilliant slow love song. And while it isn't bad, it just isn't as powerful as those other songs. Again, it's as if U2 wanted to write another track like them, so they forced it. As a result, it just doesn't quite have the impact. However, I can fully accept others enjoying the song.

In what is almost 2009, one would think the phrase "in my opinion" or IMO or any variation thereof (e.g., IMHO) would be obvious and unnecessary. Clearly this is my opinion. I state nothing as fact, other than chart data. And these days, others love the charts and sales info. more than I do, so I am just a bystander, posting periodically when I have time (like now while I'm on vacation). So please view these as my opinion, not something that I speak as fact.

Yeah but my posts are more fun! :wink: And besides, LemonMelon seems to be catching up with me on post count. Does that mean you're gonna pwn him next? :sad:

And it wasn't about Bono reading it - it never was. Do any of us write for Bono to read? I mean, how ridiculous is that thought? These are just my thoughts and comments as they pertain to the thread.

And these are just that - my comments. You wrote that you stopped reading after my comment on R&H. It's unfortunate. All I wrote is that if U2 ended their career with R&H, I'd say it was on a down note - and I can honestly say that most fans and critics would agree. Now, does this say anything about the album's quality? Does it say anything about its popularity? No. But R&H was not on par with the brilliance that U2 had release before or after R&H.

I posted in this thread for fun. This is our personal wish list. But it has NOTHING to do with reality. If U2 actually listened to everyone here, they'd go insane. There's no way U2 can please everyone. So it's best not to please anyone but themselves. And I hope they do. While I don't agree with all of their practices and do feel that some recent works should be cheaper and more generous (more b-sides, no lottery, cheaper tickets, etc.), I'm happy to hear what they produce. Because regardless of whether I love every track or not, I find myself enjoying most of every album - and that's what keeps me a U2 fan.

This is why it was a shame Indra stopped really listening after R&H. That person seems to have missed out on a lot of great material. But this is all my opinion. With 35000 posts, surely you can create your own wish list of "do's and do not's" and not attack others.

Oh geez! :crack: I was just kidding, man. I suppose it came off mean cos I didn't include a smiley. Sorry. For the record, I did read your entire post. But I know I won't ever agree with you on JT. :grumpy:

I'd like to see a return to some of the atmospherics they experimented with The Unforgettable Fire... but with a heaviness that the band is capable of now-days.. especially since Edge is much more proficient on guitar now. I'd like to see Bono really belt out tunes this time. I want to see him push himself more.

I don't want the new album to suffer from the loudness war that's going on. I don't want the album to sound uneven like the last album. I don't want songs to suffer because Bono admitted in that recent interview that they're going after the young audience. What made U2 so great in the past was their ability to create their own landscapes and not try to imitate what the current musical trend is.

Yeah, I despise most of what people write too. :wink: But I read it because it presents an alternative view and helps expand my own thinking.

"Stay" isn't a bad song. But it does try too hard. "Stay" was "Zooropa's" version of WoWY or "One". It tries to be this brilliant slow love song. And while it isn't bad, it just isn't as powerful as those other songs.

I think they nailed it, personally. One of U2s best written songs, Bono's in top form here. :wink:

Do: surprise me.

Don't: Let me say I told you so.

DO: Whatever album they feel like putting out, whatever's inspiring them right now.

DON'T: All the bitching I hear on the internet from people who r trying 2 impose what they feel an album by a band in which they r NOT a member should sound like.

Do: Let loose and be a humorous/ridiculous over-the-top band again who's not afraid to push the limits of pop/rock to its most creative/innovative.

Don't: work with Will I Am...oh wait...we're doomed :doh:

Do: Fuck up the mainstream again. Live up to the quote of Edge "music can get boring, sometimes you need to mix things up a bit"....this is what we need now.

Dont: Put it in autopilot and produce something unchallenging to the fanbase. We need something that will make U2 fans first say what the F**K, but after awhile come around to seeing the brilliance of the album.

Do: INTERESTING, Subtlety, Creative Risk, Ambition for Ideas
Don't: Auto Pilot/Karaoke, Creative Safety Nets, Ambition for Pop Relevance

I think based on what I've heard, they've decided to get more interesting, Bono's writing from a character standpoint (less brow-beatingly obvious) and musically they are trying some different things. I would suspect they'd rather have a great set of ideas this time than a great set of chart hits that never come.

They only thing that worries me is that they (once again) spent too long in the studio.
Which among other things, is not good for Bono's pipes no matter how you want to dress it up. Among others, there is a desensitized ear that sets in amongst the people closest to the sessions who are making all the important decisions. It's easier not to fuck up when you only spend 6 months recording (Joshua Tree) rather than 4 times that long.

Do: an album. It's been waiting to happen since Zooropa. And you needn't prove anything to anyone any more.

Don't: borrow from your past like you did on Bomb (I'm not liking all the UF and AB comparisons on NLOTH). You'll only get away with it once.

do: songs like one, even better.., fly, dirty day, ..
dont: songs like wild honey, miami, grace, one step closer, ...

I view HTDAAB as one of U2's best - far better than the rather disjointed ATYCLB and "Pop". The second half of ATYCLB is very weak and "Pop" is ridiculously all over the place. I'm not saying every track on "Bomb" is brilliant ("A Man and a Woman" is one of the worst U2 songs I ever heard), but I thoroughly enjoy it. Had U2 removed "A Man.." and maybe another track ("One Step Closer" is another track I avoid), but included "Fast Cars" and "Mercy" I think they would have had a true fan-loved masterpiece. So if the new album can remove more clunkers and keep the brilliance, we could have something exceptional. If, at its worse, it's as good as "Bomb", then I'll be thrilled.

agree with much of what you typed- ATYCLB is half a good album- the second half is pretty average, Pop just suffered from not being finished properly before it was released

I'm still a big fan of Bomb- I'm not that keen on One Step Closer but the rest I like

do- be a bit more experimental this time- much as I like Bomb- I don't want a Part 2 of it.

don't- use any bloody rent-a-rappers on the album (bit disturbed about rumours of will.i.am)- had more than enough of that on the garbage album Madonna released earlier this year

Back
Top Bottom