Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely going to the Chicago show. That will be fun. Anyone else going, lmk if you want to get a drink before / after or something.

8 hours from the nearest one. At least that makes the decision easy for me. I'll save up for the tour.

wow. crazy to see Nashville on there! Very cool that it's at the Ryman "Mother Church"

Even though it is here in my town, I probably won't go as I have less than no money. But glad to see him come through this part of the country.

Fingers crossed for a ticket in London. Hopefully there will be some confirmation on the u2.com subscriber pre-sale soon...:drool:

It’s confirmed on the individual event listings and in the U2.com email for the announcement, along with a wink-nudge on bookstore appearances.

I’m on vacation for the west coast dates, and it isn’t remotely responsible of me to fly across the country for Boston/NYC. And I imagine tickets will vanish instantly for those citites.

But still got me thinking …

Wondering if he’ll preview new material.

I also think this is might be kind of a test run for something that could evolve into a Springsteen on Broadway-type show.

But maybe not. That was so uniquely suited for Bruce.

I’m on vacation for the west coast dates, and it isn’t remotely responsible of me to fly across the country for Boston/NYC. And I imagine tickets will vanish instantly for those citites.

But still got me thinking …

Wondering if he’ll preview new material.

I also think this is might be kind of a test run for something that could evolve into a Springsteen on Broadway-type show.

But maybe not. That was so uniquely suited for Bruce.

The band apparently is ready to tour next year, and the Sphere dates may be unique presentations vs whatever they’re out doing on the standard dates. I suppose it’s possible they adapt some of the storytelling into the Sphere show, but given the narrative on I+E, not sure they’d need to go down that well again for the rumored stadium tour.

The band apparently is ready to tour next year, and the Sphere dates may be unique presentations vs whatever they’re out doing on the standard dates. I suppose it’s possible they adapt some of the storytelling into the Sphere show, but given the narrative on I+E, not sure they’d need to go down that well again for the rumored stadium tour.

I am very, very curious about what they are going to do next.

And I’m also curious to hear how they explain the past 10 years, and how they understand where they are now as a band.

I am very, very curious about what they are going to do next.

And I’m also curious to hear how they explain the past 10 years, and how they understand where they are now as a band.

A decade of unforced errors is why they can’t issue a third volume of greatest hits (unless they called it Greatest Misses, but they’re not as funny/ballsy as they say they are). So they’re delivering a re-recorded compliation album instead. Which I think is kinda smart? “New” recordings with low stakes. They don’t need to reclaim being anything besides themselves.

For a guy who has spent so much time in Washington DC over the last 20+ years, I was hoping he’d kill two birds with one stone and do a stop here while visiting with some of his politician buddies, but alas…

For a guy who has spent so much time in Washington DC over the last 20+ years, I was hoping he’d kill two birds with one stone and do a stop here while visiting with some of his politician buddies, but alas…

Blame Headache… and wait for the bookstore announcements

I get the impression the bookstores will be in the cities he's playing shows in, just during the afternoon day of or after show.

That’d make the most sense, though there are days in between some dates, and odd for him not to do an event the day the book comes out unless that is reserved for a bunch of tv appearances.

Last edited:
Blame Headache… and wait for the bookstore announcements

:mad:

also disappointed with no DC.

i'd definitely go up for the Beacon Show if it were on a weekend, but don't think it's doable on a Wednesday night.

oh well.

the whole band will be in town come December for the Kennedy Center Honors, so maybe they'll add something later on down the road.

They likely think the past decade has been one of their best ever.

I think they will defend the two (only two!) albums they’ve released in the past 13 years … as well as the three well-received tours … but they have to know something has happened beyond turning 60.

Bring back McGuinne$$!

I think they will defend the two (only two!) albums they’ve released in the past 13 years … as well as the three well-received tours … but they have to know something has happened beyond turning 60.

Bring back McGuinne$$!

I think they’ve been outright dopey since the NLOTH single choice and promo - McG was outdated in approach - but curious how he would’ve fared in an environment that he didn’t seem to have much of a handle on. Blackberry over Apple? Even then, it seemed off. Very corporate.

Would he have made the Apple SOI deal? Dunno if he would’ve conceptualized it, but he sure as hell would’ve taken it. Vertigo was an iTunes commercial hit. And Paul loved HITS. If Guy was behind that idea, however, the band would’ve not heard it and would’ve released a new album to… little fanfare? The first single that kinda sounded like the previous two album singles? Honestly kinda hard to say.

I think they’ve been outright dopey since the NLOTH single choice and promo - McG was outdated in approach - but curious how he would’ve fared in an environment that he didn’t seem to have much of a handle on. Blackberry over Apple? Even then, it seemed off. Very corporate.

Would he have made the Apple SOI deal? Dunno if he would’ve conceptualized it, but he sure as hell would’ve taken it. Vertigo was an iTunes commercial hit. And Paul loved HITS. If Guy was behind that idea, however, the band would’ve not heard it and would’ve released a new album to… little fanfare? The first single that kinda sounded like the previous two album singles? Honestly kinda hard to say.

It is a big unknown. Is all publicity good publicity? They might argue it’s worse to be ignored than hated. But … I don’t know.

At least with Paul he was solely focused on them, whereas Guy also has, like, Madonna. Who also hasn’t been making good decisions theee past 10 years.

The iTunes release was brilliant except for one minor detail which became a major blunder.

Give people the power to delete it.

The iTunes release was brilliant except for one minor detail which became a major blunder.

Give people the power to delete it.

Nah. Opt-in would’ve solved it by relying on consumer permission *and* interest. Opt-out would’ve been an ultimatum. Deleting after the fact, which they did eventually offer, was cleaning up the crime scene - the damage had already been done.

Nah. Opt-in would’ve solved it by relying on consumer permission *and* interest. Opt-out would’ve been an ultimatum. Deleting after the fact, which they did eventually offer, was cleaning up the crime scene - the damage had already been done.

Well, deleting on an iPhone is literally a swipe left, as forgettable as swiping left on Tinder.

There may have been some "OMG why is this album on my phone" but the real anger and punchline came from the fact that people couldn't delete it unless they had a Mac and downloaded a tool that came out months later.

David Remmick of the New Yorker was on our local NYC Public Radio this morning talking about their Annual Festival.
I came in sort of the middle where he was talking about Bono who is part of this year's fest bc of his book. Mr Remmick said he was talking to Bono. B said well you don't live to far from me (in NYC) why don't you come over to talk about the book. So he did.

I was half asleep so I'll have to recheck it once Brain Lerher's 10-noon show for today is posted on I-Tunes. Remmick said while B will be talking about the book, he expects B to talk some politics, and some band stuff since his life has been so entwined with them.
Perhaps a bit of performance, nothing set though.

David Remmick of the New Yorker was on our local NYC Public Radio this morning talking about their Annual Festival.
I came in sort of the middle where he was talking about Bono who is part of this year's fest bc of his book. Mr Remmick said he was talking to Bono. B said well you don't live to far from me (in NYC) why don't you come over to talk about the book. So he did.

I was half asleep so I'll have to recheck it once Brain Lerher's 10-noon show for today is posted on I-Tunes. Remmick said while B will be talking about the book, he expects B to talk some politics, and some band stuff since his life has been so entwined with them.
Perhaps a bit of performance, nothing set though.

Hopefully a little bit of mischief too!

I don't believe there will be an actual TOUR next year. I believe the new album will come in late 2023, and the tour won't be until 2024. U2songs pretty much already said they've heard the album won't be until later in the year. The Vegas shows will either be part of the Promo tour for the next album, or they'll be part of the reason the album is delayed into 2024. We are talking about U2, afterall, and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get back out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom