Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally this would be one of those things where a long-standing fanclub membership would give one a jump on access, alas…

I do wonder if this is going to be priced as ridiculously as the New Yorker festival event.

Ideally this would be one of those things where a long-standing fanclub membership would give one a jump on access, alas…

I do wonder if this is going to be priced as ridiculously as the New Yorker festival event.

Yeah, I have a feeling we're talking crazy prices, but we'll see.

https://www.u2songs.com/news/stories_of_surrender

Short theatre tour this fall - book readings, performances, “mischief.” Not u2 but Bono with some other musicians
Thanks, RD. Sounds interesting.
(my sis went to see Bruce on Broadway and loved it
and they are both storytellers, singers, writers ?)

Not that I'll be able to afford it. That's ok, though.
A U2 tour will be a challenge, but I so loved the E+I show I saw so if that's my last in person show so be it.
With Internet I can get the shows later.

“Mischief” for Bono is probably walking into the audience and taking selfies with his mouth open.
Yup.

Hey r u in PR, or The States?

Are you and your people ok?

In PR. We’re hanging in there, recovery has been slightly faster than the last time around but not fast enough. My area did not receive a direct hit from the eyewall, thankfully. Family and friends doing ok for now. :)

I'm thinking Iris will be one of those tunes that would be revised in a stripped back form when U2 release their reworked versions. Sad thing is the song we know is a bastardised one that Tedder got his grubby hands on it. The earlier version they did with Avicii is evidently a sort of rough draft but the genesis of a great song is there.

Particularly the lyric and melody that follows:

"I said free yourself to be yourself, if only you could free yourself, I have seen the dark and I am waking from that sleep".

So much more inspired, heartfelt than the soulless generic melodies that Tedder brought to it. It may have required another producer to spot the uncut gems in these songs and moulded them into something greater. Tedder was not it, unfortunately the band thnk otherwise.

That’s the song that would become Iris. Outside of that cool Edge solo and a few good lyrics it wasn’t that great and it’s easy to hear why it was reworked into Iris.

I'm thinking Iris will be one of those tunes that would be revised in a stripped back form when U2 release their reworked versions. Sad thing is the song we know is a bastardised one that Tedder got his grubby hands on it. The earlier version they did with Avicii is evidently a sort of rough draft but the genesis of a great song is there.

Particularly the lyric and melody that follows:

"I said free yourself to be yourself, if only you could free yourself, I have seen the dark and I am waking from that sleep".

So much more inspired, heartfelt than the soulless generic melodies that Tedder brought to it. It may have required another producer to spot the uncut gems in these songs and moulded them into something greater. Tedder was not it, unfortunately the band thnk otherwise.

Iris is arguably the best song on SOI. Rough take here.

Wow, I popped in today because I thought everyone would be buzzing about Edge’s blazing guitar solo on whatever version of Iris is playing on the social media post for the theater book tour.

Or am I an idiot and this is from some already released remix or something..?

Whatever it is, yowza!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLyXhPIiKX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Yeah that’s the outro of the avicii version (Stars Don’t Go). Love the lyrics and the guitar. The beats are but hit and miss, but it does make me wonder what early versions of those tunes would have sounded like.

Love this bit:

Once we are born
We begin to forget
The reasons that we came
But I am sure it was you I met
Long before I had to
Name myself
To gain myself
I needed you to remain myself
I have seen the dark
And I am waking from that sleep

I'd like to hit the Boston show. But we'll see:

A. How much tickets cost.
B. How difficult they'll be to get.

A will somewhat determine B… but there are, incredibly, subscriber presales.

Last edited:
Beacon theater is a bit of a pain in the ass to get to especially on a Wed night. I think I’ll pass on this one and make sure I’m at the next tour.

Got the text message at 8 AM sharp. Happy to see that Bono will be busy again.

Last edited:
If I wasn't almost 3 hours from Chicago, I'd probably try to see it but nah. Not on a weeknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom