RS: In their own words - U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoocarolina

Refugee
Interesting article:

U2 in Their Own Words : Rolling Stone

Seems like each band member has interesting ideas about how the long the band will go on, Adam sounds like it will be as long as they want, Edge is not direct, Larry says they'll know and then come back for one last time, interesting ....

My guess barring nothing unforseen, atleast until 2018 to get them to 40 years then maybe a 2023 reunion for one more go then that's it. Anything from this point is gravy .....

I think U2 are the one band I know who wouldn't do a "Reunion Tour". The feeling I always had is that they will be doing this well into their 60's, just like The Rolling Stones. Or at least until the moment where they feel they're not creative and hungry anymore. But I honestly don't see that happening.

Edge:

When anyone has a bad day and they want to leave the band or throw someone else out of the band, it doesn't last very long. I occasionally go through this thing, once a decade, where I go, "OK, that's it, I've had enough. It's over. It's all too much." And then I go through the process: "OK, what am I going to do with my life now?" So I start thinking, I would still want to make music. Am I a solo artist? To be perfectly honest, I'm not a solo artist. I need to find collaborators. OK, who do I want as my drummer? Fuck, there's no one better than Larry Mullen. What about bass? Shit, it has to be Adam. OK, singers? Oh shit, there's no one better than Bono. So I end up redesigning us for better or for worse. It's kind of ideal. That's not to say that it is not challenging.

I just know I make better music when I'm working with Bono. I make a lot of music on my own but no one ever hears. It just gets better when I'm working on it with Adam, Larry and Bono and Brian [Eno] and Danny [Lanois]. Who knows, at some point I might do some more collaborations outside of the band or solo projects. But I'm not rushing to. I like what I do.

That made me smile. :heart:

Yeah, I like wider explanations of it from them, rather than just trotting out a “one more month/unfinished” line.

I also think that albums double life is kinda fascinating. Everywhere else in the world it’s okay. Pop/Popmart as a fuck up really isn’t even a part of their biography, but in the US it’s a big one. I swear if you compiled every instance of them getting asked about it, or even it just referenced as a fuck up – like this, which seems kind of waaay off topic for the interview – 95% of them will be from US media.

Yeah, I like wider explanations of it from them, rather than just trotting out a “one more month/unfinished” line.

I also think that albums double life is kinda fascinating. Everywhere else in the world it’s okay. Pop/Popmart as a fuck up really isn’t even a part of their biography, but in the US it’s a big one. I swear if you compiled every instance of them getting asked about it, or even it just referenced as a fuck up – like this, which seems kind of waaay off topic for the interview – 95% of them will be from US media.

It was a fuck up even for Australian standards.

Says the guy who thinks Creep was Radioheads last decent effort.

Zing! I actually refused to give Radiohead a chance for a long time because of Creep. I like the song now but definitely not one of their finer efforts. Pretty much everything post-Pablo Honey is :drool::drool::drool:

Zing! I actually refused to give Radiohead a chance for a long time because of Creep. I like the song now but definitely not one of their finer efforts. Pretty much everything post-Pablo Honey is :drool::drool::drool:

Yeah, when it came out I actually really hated Creep.

so finallly an interesting U2 interview and we're discussing Creep?
excellent
well done

I am impressed with Bono's fair view on POP
Larry seems to be the one who would call it quits on the band
but they all approach this topic quite level headed

so finallly an interesting U2 interview and we're discussing Creep?
excellent
well done

I am impressed with Bono's fair view on POP
Larry seems to be the one who would call it quits on the band
but they all approach this topic quite level headed

It's funny though bc Larry mentioned the part about ending it and then getting back together for one last time, sort of like getting an itch after a few years....but to tell you the truth, they sort of do this every few years anyway, reconstruct the band ...

Back
Top Bottom