Rate: No Line on the Horizon Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is NLOTH?

• 10: Best

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • 9: Masterpiece

Votes: 240 28.9%
  • 8: Extraordinary

Votes: 246 29.6%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 152 18.3%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 91 11.0%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 4: Mediocre

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • 3: Bad

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 2: Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Worst

Votes: 8 1.0%

• Total voters
I've got be honest, I voted average on this one, and then was surprised when the results came up, at how many people voted masterpiece.

Although I think some of the tracks on it are great. If I rate it along the lines of which album I would choose to play out of all the others, I can't rate it any higher :shrug:

Still think it comes in after AB@ number 2 i actually still enjoy the drop of with the middle 3 shame the album will never get the credit it deserves

I've got be honest, I voted average on this one, and then was surprised when the results came up, at how many people voted masterpiece.

Although I think some of the tracks on it are great. If I rate it along the lines of which album I would choose to play out of all the others, I can't rate it any higher :shrug:
Yeah, for me NLOTH is their weakest album ever, for reasons I won't go into. But I think what you have to keep in mind with polls like this is Father time. NLOTH is still too new for people to be objective about it. People are also responding to the fact that it's the only faintly (and it is faintly) arty and textured music they've made since at least 1997, which in comparison to earlier material this past decade makes it seem really great.

If Interference did this same poll ten years ago exactly, I'll bet ATYCLB would have finished in the top 5 albums. But now it's more like in the bottom 5.

Hang around for another ten years, and then we'll see how NLOTH does. It will give a more accurate picture.

I also voted 'Good'. I've been a fan for less than a year, so every album is practically 'new' to me. Since then, I listened to each album lots of times and I feel it's not one of their best albums, more like one of their 'worst (though I don't think they've made a bad album yet). It has a few good songs, a few average, but also some awful songs imo (Get On Your Boots, Stand Up Comedy).

On the 80s and 90s albums, I feel their best and worst songs are still much better than the best and worst from NLOTH. I feel the same with ATYCBL and HTDAAB, so it could be I just like their style better in the 80s and 90s rather than the quality of the music.

It's been two and a half years since it came out. Should be enough for objectivity.

It's been two and a half years since it came out. Should be enough for objectivity.
I'm not sure about that. For example, when Bob Dylan put out New Morning in 1970 -- after the ridiculous Self Portrait -- reviewers wrote that it was his best work in years, etc. Then, when Planet Waves came out in 1973/74, people again over-rated it. Finally, when Blood On The Tracks was released at the start of 1975, everyone realized that all his albums since 1967 had been half-assed, but nobody during that period seemed to realize it. People tend to think non-objectively about more recent things until they're put in context, or maybe until after the band is dead (hopefully that won't be for a while!).

But I think what you have to keep in mind with polls like this is Father time. NLOTH is still too new for people to be objective about it.

If Interference did this same poll ten years ago exactly, I'll bet ATYCLB would have finished in the top 5 albums. But now it's more like in the bottom 5.

I have to disagree with both these points. The album is old enough, the honeymoon factor really only last about 6 months in here and then people are pretty honest with themselves. The tour is over, we've had the disappointment of not getting a new album when we thought we might, etc. So there's been enough time and ups and downs to make the honeymoon phase wear off.

As far as ATYCLB, I don't think you're right at all. I've seen people's opinion actually get better with time. Has it ranked in the bottom 5 in here(don't know, I don't pay attention to the polls)? I've noticed a lot of interferencers that hated it "not experimental" at first but now admit to liking a lot of the pop sensibilities of the album. :shrug:

I don't like being told to wait 10 years or some shit to praise what I have considered a strong album from day 1, by someone who has disliked the album since day 1 and is himself lacking the objectivity to approach it with less than jaded ears. There are tracks I dislike, and those were apparent almost from the beginning. I doubt my ears will soon be opened to the banality of MOS. But hey, I dropped my score by 1 point over the past 2 years, so who knows, maybe it'll be a 3/10 a decade from now.

Hm, I think it's been out long enough, and my opinion still hasn't changed. I still think it's their 2nd best album, and a true masterpiece. Though footnote being that NLOTH2 should've ended the album.
Sure, commercially it wasn't handled well. The singles chosen were a bit off and badly timed with videos and promotions. But does that take away from the music? Not in my books.

When NLOTH initially came out, I loved it. Instantly. Partly because I liked the atmospherics and sonics of the record, partly because I just dug so many of the songs, and partly because it sounded like such a departure from Bomb, which I consider one of U2's weakest albums.

Having said that, I'm not sure I rank it quite as high as I used to, which is the opposite for me as U2 albums usually grow on my slowly. But I think I just wanted to like NLOTH so much after Bomb, and I think because a few of the songs are SO good, it possibly made me initially to regard the album higher than I do now.

Listening now, I think about half the songs on the album are weak to mediocre, and the album seems to lack a cohesiveness to me. Part of it is the track order, but rearranging it on iTunes really doesn't solve the problem, because I simply put the tracks I didn't like at the end and never listen to them anyway. I initially ranked the album just above ATYCLB, now I think I'd rank it just below it.

Having said that, I think MOS is one of the best songs U2 has ever recorded. While ATYCLB has more songs that I like, MOS is better than any single song on that album. I'd easily rank it as one of my top 5 U2 songs.

So I'd answer the poll "Good, with moments of greatness"

I personally think its a good album - not great. Not their strongest but def not the weakest either.

I tend to agree with the track listing and some of the tunes such as White As Snow - come on! Was there not something else in the old vault they could dust off thats better than that song?? :doh:

I tend to agree with the track listing and some of the tunes such as White As Snow - come on! Was there not something else in the old vault they could dust off thats better than that song?? :doh:

White As Snow is absolutely beautiful to my ears. A definite favorite. :drool:

I don't like being told to wait 10 years or some shit to praise what I have considered a strong album from day 1, by someone who has disliked the album since day 1 and is himself lacking the objectivity to approach it with less than jaded ears.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but for the record I don't dislike the album particularly. I think it's a good album, but I also think it's U2's weakest for several reasons. I think 'Cedars of Lebanon' and 'Magnificent' and 'White as Snow' are great. The rest I can live without, but 'Unknown Caller' and 'Fez/Being Born' are all right. So, half the album is good to great, and half is mediocre to terrible.

To me it's great album, I never skip any song besides Cedars (which I find boring)....
After 2 years I keep listening to it every day, thing that wasn't the case with ATYCLB and HTDAAB..... last time it happened was probably POP or Achtung Baby.

^^ Well said,i love this album. On my most played list on itunes,there are 7 horizon songs in the top ten. With number one being the title track with 189 plays.

To me it's great album, I never skip any song besides Cedars (which I find boring)....
After 2 years I keep listening to it every day, thing that wasn't the case with ATYCLB and HTDAAB..... last time it happened was probably POP or Achtung Baby.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. :) Cedars is the only song I find lacking on there, the rest doesn't get skipped.

What I find with U2 albums is that it takes a bit to grow on me. I DETESTED Pop. But after a few months I started to listen a little - then slowly it became a pretty good album, at least to me.

But I think sometimes it has to grow on the listener.

I guess 2.5 years later, Moment of Surrender is the song that's still as strong or stronger than it was when I first heard it. Given how long it is, it's amazing how it stays fresh all the way through and doesn't get boring.

Moment of Surrender, White as Snow, and Cedars of Lebanon are the ones that sound the most "mature" to me, in that they seem appropriate for a 50 year old to sing. They all also seem to be new ground for U2.

I like No Line, but that song is missing something, maybe the "fart" of a chorus is where it's lacking. Magnificent has a great beat, great bassline, and amazing chord sequence and guitar riff, but I think it goes on too long, and Edge should have come up with something for the verses.

Unknown Caller is good, but the verse lyrics don't do it for me. I actually do like the chanting though.

Fez-Being Born is the start of a good weird idea, but I think that one should have been pushed a few orders of magnitude into weirder territory. They should have messed with the sounds in that so much that it would be impossible to even tell what kinds of instruments were being played.

Breathe is just kind of eh to me. As a guitar player, it sounds a song that is more fun to play than it is to listen to.

Get on Your Boots is ok as a quick throwaway song. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's not single material.

The other two songs actually annoy me. I never listen to them. I have no desire to listen to inane motivational songs or lyrics about being a rock star, and certainly no desire to have those two mixed together.

Nice post, Mike.

Get on Your Boots is ok as a quick throwaway song. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's not single material.
You know that, and I know that... but did U2? I still can't wrap my head around GOYB as lead single.

The other two songs actually annoy me. I never listen to them. I have no desire to listen to inane motivational songs or lyrics about being a rock star, and certainly no desire to have those two mixed together.
Agreed entirely. They don't fit into the album at all.

This album has grown on me, its fantastic. Favourite song would have to be NLOTH or Magnificent, but recently Fez has become one of my favourites, too! Whats your fav?

Listened to it today and its still an excellent album. NLOTH through UC is just a brilliant stretch of music. I had to skip White As Snow because I was driving and couldn't risk falling asleep behind the wheel. I guess I'm in the minority who actually enjoy Crazy Tonight and GOYB being on there. I honestly like those songs. SUC still sucks. I quite like Edges riffs, the cool sounds throughout, the drumming and bass but the lyrics just fucking kill it. That said, I didn't skip it. Fez-BB is still awesome and it gives me goosebumps. Breathe is clunky but its a great ballsy kinda song, and Cedars is still one of my favorite Bono vocal deliveries.

Say what you want to about the rest of the songs, but the only songs that don't fit the actual feel of the album are 'Stand Up Comedy' and 'Get on Your Boots'. If those two songs had been left off and 'Winter' had been included, this album would have had the cohesiveness of Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree - regardless of it being a masterpiece or not.

Say what you want to about the rest of the songs, but the only songs that don't fit the actual feel of the album are 'Stand Up Comedy' and 'Get on Your Boots'. If those two songs had been left off and 'Winter' had been included, this album would have had the cohesiveness of Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree - regardless of it being a masterpiece or not.

:up:

No Line On The Horizon is a cool song. Magnificent was a let down - the beach clips ruined it for me. The rest of the album is a snoozer :reject:

Just listened to NLOTH tonight in the car with this track order, and was throughly impressed with how much more improved it is this way:

1. Fez-Being Born
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Magnificent
4. White As Snow
5. Unknown Caller
6. Moment of Surrender
7. Breathe
8. Cedars of Lebanon

I know that's cutting things a bit short but the atmosphere is totally unbroken and it flows much, much better. Putting White As Snow so early was done kind of on a hunch, and surprisingly it works! I could barely stand it before, but it's much more listenable to me right after Magnificent, and transitions very nicely into Unknown Caller. Somehow I've gained some appreciation for the song having it in this slot. I guess you could put Crazy and Boots after MOS here, but didn't try that, leaving out the infamous middle three "radio songs" altogether (SUC is garbage no matter where it's at). Anyway just thought this was interesting, and can safely say that the NLOTH material as listed above is indeed some of U2's finer work this past decade. Still an excellent album in my opinion. :up:

James

Back
Top Bottom