NLOTH Constructive Criticism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People should be able to criticise the album though. That's what debates all about. Its brilliant but I don't think its without flaws.

I agree, debate is important. It's just the "oh, I'd do that to this bit" and "I'd add this there" non musician brigade that I was digging at.

And all U2 albums have flaws. I'd say go with the feeling and spirit when listening to U2 music. And the spirit of this album is outstanding and the songs are very moving.

I couldn't string a couple of notes together myself, it's great to get to hear artists who can. Stirring stuff.

That's my 2 cents anyway:wink:

I guess I'd like to see more songs like Magnificent, MOS, Unknown Caller and Fez-Being Born with a palpable atmosphere that can be restrained and soar seamlessly. :up:
I think the album would have become self-indulgent if it went down that road. I think stirring it up was the right thing to do. U2 have many more colours than just those songs you mention.

I love the album, and too lazy to write out everything.

but I REALLY REALLY have to agree about this Lillywhite thing. Get this guy out....

I love the album, and too lazy to write out everything.

my thoughts too. i mean, there are very small changes i would have made to mixing or guitar effects, but that's also because i'm a guitar player, so i naturally critique the guitar more than anything.

Here's what I would do if I had the chance to take a hack at the album before they left the studio.

NLOTH: Something to lead into the song other than that drone note. And a vocal take by Bono that doesn't sound like it was taken from a demo.
Magnificent: Bring the second guitar up higher in the mix (this is a problem throughout the album), and rewrite some of the verse lyrics.
Moment of Surrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... (get rid of this dull, extremely overrated, way-too-long piece of shit altogether. What a waste of seven minutes)
Unknown Caller: The solo could be a lot more aggressive. The chorus is very repetitive and nonsensical, I would have them rewrite the lyrics at least. They don't fit the mood of the song whatsoever. And get rid of the "sunshiiiiine sunshine" part at the start - unnecessary.
I'll Go Crazy...: This song is mixed very well, and the chorus is great. The only thing I might do would be to make it sound like a bit more of a blowout at the start of the chorus (the "it's not a hill" part is great, but it could absolutely pop). One of the best songs on the album.
Get On Your Boots: It's pretty awful. Ditch it entirely. They can do way better than this for a lead-in single.
Stand Up Comedy: Again, bring up the second guitar in the chorus. Extend the solo section, there's a lot of potential there but since it's only about 10 seconds there's very little room to expand.
Fez-Being Born: Take out the "let me in the sound" in the Fez section and keep it either instrumental or get them to write something original. This isn't hip hop, there's no need for a sample. Make the transition better between the two sections. Take out the stupid xylophone backing behind the guitar in the Being Born section and get Edge to play the same thing on the low E. This should be a dark, aggressive song until the key change at the end.
White as Snow: Great song. The bass and guitar play off each other really well, and the subdued theme of the song is kept where it should be.
Breathe: Another excellent track, the only thing I would do is bring the rhythm guitar up in the mix again, especially during the prechorus. Oh, and get Bono to come up with something other than "ju ju man ju ju man" - it's a distracting lyric when everything else around it isn't.
Cedars of Lebanon: I wouldn't change a thing about this song. There's nothing overbearing on this track at all, and it's an excellent album closer with great, deep lyrics.

The best songs on the album are the last three, and I'll Go Crazy.

ETA: I jsut want to add that despite all of the above, I really do like this album (other than Moment of Surrender) and think it's their best work since at least ATYCLB, and most likely since Pop. But there are still some deep flaws and things that could have been improved if they had worked on it for a bit longer (and by that I mean not waiting so long to get into the studio).

one thing I would say is if they were going to talk all this stuff about "going in a new direction" then do it Balls out....

they did songs like CRAZY, which is purely for radio airplay. I enjoy the song and will love to hear it live, but I feel like Bono seriously rolled out of bed and wrote those lyrics. I remember Iovine hearing the record and saying "it needs one or two more songs" they probably did SUC and CRAZY after that.

The album just seems to flow so good until Crazy and SUC. I do love Boots.

In the end that's all I have to bitch about. I love the record, and I think they are def. doing new things, I just wish they took it a few steps furthur. There's a lot of great sounds I hear in those u2.com clips that didn't make it.

This is just what I prefer but NLOTH needs more songs that you listen to in the dark, perhaps trying to sleep. I remember listening to VLV (yes, it's that album again) last summer when I couldn't sleep, that's when I really started appreciating that album (and especially its ending). Same thing with JT. MOS and COL could have the same effect (haven't had the chance, though), but remove songs like SUC and perhaps GOYB and replace them with some One Tree Hills.

I have high expectations for Songs of Ascent for just this thing. That's one thing that makes me love an album, and for now NLOTH is just a great album.

Wow, so the nitpicking begins? Don't we have enough threads for this already?

Like which threads? Point one out.

I thought the intention for this thread was to have specific criticisms, with maybe some reasoning and justifications. Instead of just blind complaints.

The rest of the threads are to the effect of "White As Snow sucks..." or "Why I didn't like the album..." or "Maybe the naysayers were right..."

Which all have an entirely negative connotation.
I like the album, I think it could be improved, where should I go to voice my opinions? I'm not going to the SUC appreciation thread to tell those totally enjoying the song why I don't. Opening this thread, is it's own warning.

We can say all this without raking the album over the coals and even enjoying it for what it is at the same time.

I don't see any outright bashing on this thread.
Yet, I already see apologist cry babies. What does that tell us?
That the bashers aren't the only unreasonable people on this forum.

Not for bashing the album, but just wondering what you think could be better or expanded the next time around.

-Though the album cover looks nice, it makes the album out to seem more "gray" than it really is.

It also makes the album seem more watery than it really is. It actually isn't very watery at all!

Before reading everyone else's posts, these are my nits to pick:

- Please, guys, stop uber-compressing the tracks. I'd love to have more dynamics.
- Also, there seems to be an emphasis on upper-mids, that sometimes gets to be uncomfortable.
- We want more volume on Edge guitars. It's lowered down to pop music levels.

That's basically it...The production kinda irks me. The songs are great, though.

Also, Edge is a master of clean tones, but his distorted tones in this album leaves something to be desired. Listen to the Black Keys, or Muse, and you'll get an idea...

What a bunch of losers on this forum - go out and make a better album than NLOTH yourselves

That's the idea, isn't it? It's like fantasy baseball. We're just having fun with the idea, is that alright..to have a little fun? That said, most of us like the album, so relax. I'm sure there are things you would've liked to hear differently. And I'm sure U2 do as well. Hell, they've criticised all their previous albums at least once.

I remember Iovine hearing the record and saying "it needs one or two more songs" they probably did SUC and CRAZY after that.

They worked on SUC for over a year...it wasn't written after Iovine comment. Crazy was one of the beach clips so it's been around for a while too. And the album version is actually toned down from the clip.

Adam recently said they wrote White as snow in the recent sessions.

Luckily Flood and Jacknife Lee weren't near this album.

They worked on SUC for over a year...it wasn't written after Iovine comment. Crazy was one of the beach clips so it's been around for a while too. And the album version is actually toned down from the clip.

Adam recently said they wrote White as snow in the recent sessions.

Luckily Flood and Jacknife Lee weren't near this album.

I say bring in the Flood, he produced one of my fave albums of all time D. Mode's "Violator".

If they worked on SUC for over a year, then that's just depressing. Take a cue from MOS and Bad.

You might be the only one to like LAPOE more than SBS. Haha.

No, he's not. I like SBS for its impact on young people, its sincerity and its audacity at the time it was released, I love it because it has been part of my own biography, but musically LAPOE is some light years ahead of it, you can argue they're repeating topics, but as far as I know, peace is still needed on this planet.

Unknown Caller - I wish the drumming wasn't so "light" sounding - I wish it had more attack, thus increasing the strength for vocals in the chorus, which in itself is one of the highlights of the album. I was waiting to hear something like the version we see in Daniel Lanois' movie trailer (when they were in Fez), but I find this version less exuberant or cathartic, which it should have been. This version sounds almost...apologetic, instead of having the guys belt their heart out.

Crazy Tonight - The bridge is weak, it feels like it was dropped in at the last minute. The lyrics are half-baked and so is the music for it. I wish they did more of a stripped version of the chorus (as a bridge) with just bass and guitar or something before the outro begins.

Fez - Being Born - Bono's wailing during the instrumental parts are rather distracting and take away from the hypnotic feeling the music creates.

SUC is my least favourite song but ironically it contains my favourite part of the album:

02:47
it has a very AB feel and the led zep vibe comes through that was spoke about during recording sessions.

anyone else?

yes yes... they should go back to using shorter titles such as Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of.

that would make the songs all the more better.

I think their longer titles nowadays are awkward where they once were beautiful; older titles almost couldn't be shortened, but the new ones surely can. Stuck in a Moment (You Can't Get Out of), (I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go) Crazy Tonight, for example. "Crazy Tonight" as a title sounds great; "Streets Have No Name" sounds incomplete. That's my take.

Essentially, my number one priority would be to get Lillywhite out.

Although I think all songs on the album are fine songs, I can't quite appreciate some of them in album form. Crazy Tonight, SUC, and Breathe I would certainly take out. I'd write some new lyrics to Get On Your Boots, even though I think they're throwaway in a refreshing way (I think people get too up in arms about their badness). I'd have leaner, meaner, less "Edge", more edgy guitar tones throughout.

As far as a good song that I'd change, it'd be Unknown Caller - I agree with whoever said that it should be weirder, stranger. As it is it is perhaps more spiritual than expected - and perhaps that's exactly how it should be. But I'd like to hear it with more blips and bleeps, and certainly less stereotypical Edge-like playing.

On the title track, I'd have Bono singing less emphatically during the "OOOOHHHHHs" (even if they'd make less sense that way) and I'd bring in some of NLOTH 2 toward the end...a more punky spirit on the choruses may actually help the entire song.

Similarly, on Fez - Being Born I could do without Bono's wordless yelping during the pre-verses. It ruins it for me. The words in the verses and the singing of them couldn't be better.

My main complaint is Edge's overuse of the same guitar tone, but I can live with that because I like all the songs.

Back
Top Bottom