Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HMTMKMKM absolutely fits in Zooropa. It adds a little extra punch to the beginning of the album. The crunchy guitar and vocal effects fit that era almost perfectly. And sandwiched between Zooropa and Numb is pretty much as perfect a fit that you can get.

Sonically, HMTMKMKM is a better match for Pop than Zooropa.

But anyhow ... Zooropa, Passengers, Pop. What a great trio. Where has that band gone?

The lemon incident swapped the band with an alternate dimension version of the band. Somewhere in the multiverse, our U2 is still making super interesting music.

Babyface is creepy. Boots is cringe. Whether or not you find Babyface as cringey because it is creepy means like... babyface has to take the cake.

But the musical sound of Babyface is still solid, something Boots can’t challenge.

Babyface is creepy on purpose and an excellent sonic creation. Production is crisp and spacious, Edge's guitar tone is like little else he's ever done.

It's not a great song, of course, probably my least favorite song on one of my top albums ever, but it's an oddity from my favorite U2 era so there are things about it that I like.

Last edited:
Babyface is creepy on purpose and an excellent sonic creation. Production is crisp and spacious, Edge's guitar tone is like little else he's ever done.

Most of this. It sounds great, love the instrumentation. The toy piano juxtaposed with the lyric and the discombobulating rhythm parts.

And I prefer it to Dirty Day, which probably could have used another pass on the mix. I think even Edge said as much.

Watching the Grammys right now.

It’s next to impossible to imagine U2 taking the stage alongside these acts. No disrespect to anyone.

The world has changed.

Watching the Grammys right now.

It’s next to impossible to imagine U2 taking the stage alongside these acts. No disrespect to anyone.

The world has changed.

Yet they just ran through the candidates for best pop solo performance, and I gotta say... probably the worst year for pop music in a very long time.

I believe you are required to love Dua Lipa.

I like “Cardigan” and that Harry Styles song about watermelon jolly ranchers.

Oh, look — Lionel Richie. Maybe U2 could play.

I believe you are required to love Dua Lipa.

I like “Cardigan” and that Harry Styles song about watermelon jolly ranchers.

Oh, look — Lionel Richie. Maybe U2 could play.

Otherwise my credentials would be taken away. I’m also required to be absolutely torn and conflicted by Doja Cat.

I mean, U2 are rock royalty at this point and if they contacted the Grammys saying they were available (assuming they had new material out), they wouldn't be turned away.

And unlike most of these big acts, they won't feel pressured to do a medley, and understand the power of one good song performed well.

Of course, you have to actually play a good song, and not Get Out Of Here With That Shit or Get On Your Eyeliner.

If they have a Vertigo, or a more powerful slower track like MOS, they could go over big.

i like babyface, for what it is. sure it's nothing special and it kinda plods on a bit too long, but it's not one of those actively objectionable, run-to-hit-the-skip-button clunkers that U2 has plenty of.

it is definitely one of their worst live songs (which thankfully the band recognized quickly), but the album version is easily better than, say, the middle trio of NLOTH, or the singles from SOE.

Babyface fits perfectly on Zooropa though, both in terms of the lyrical themes and the sound. There's so much going on in the recorded versions of all those songs, I love that album.

I've always put HMTMKMKM on to my extended Pop playlist.

they shoulda just called the song Horseyfaeces amirite

images

Back
Top Bottom