Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand why many don't like The Showman, but I love it because it comes off very loose, very fun. And the chorus is catchy as hell.

Compared to the strained platitudes of other attempts at fun like Crazy Tonight or Get Out, it stands a lot taller.

I understand why many don't like The Showman, but I love it because it comes off very loose, very fun. And the chorus is catchy as hell.

Compared to the strained platitudes of other attempts at fun like Crazy Tonight or Get Out, it stands a lot taller.

Absolutely. Could’ve been a fun singalong moment if they had used it in place of Elevation and utilized the stage similarly to how they presented it at the opening E+I show:

IMB_GBMMZJ.JPG

But they’re dumb.

It sounds natural, not forced like GOOYOW. Which is basically a poor mans Beautiful day.

Fast Cars and Mercy were vetoed by Larry in the 11th hour because, from what I remember, it would have made the album 60 minutes long. Not due to quality. And as we know Fast Cars was included as a bonus track.

Then lose Crumbs and/or One Step Closer.

Dammit Larry!

Last edited:
It seems Adam is still the ambassador of this in-between cycle. Hoping for some juicy tids and bits to come from this:

[TWEET]twitter.com/rockonteurs/status/1417821333845651462[/TWEET]

I've never listened to this podcast, but Guy Pratt is a great bassist and I just noticed he's worked with A.R. Rahman, for what that's worth.

EDIT* Embedding (anything) rarely works for me on this forum for some reason:

twitter.com/rockonteurs/status/1417821333845651462

It’s a very good podcast, well worth checking out and they’ve had some great guests on there.

Adam said on the rockonteurs podcast they HAVE been re-recording old songs in an acoustic setting, but just to challenge themselves. Never said anything about releasing the songs. They have a song in sing 2, no concrete plans as they cant plan any tours just now because if covid. Says they have songs ready once they decide what to do with the next album,wouldn't commit to anything. I think we are looking at late 2022 into 2023.

Adam said on the rockonteurs podcast they HAVE been re-recording old songs in an acoustic setting, but just to challenge themselves. Never said anything about releasing the songs. They have a song in sing 2, no concrete plans as they cant plan any tours just now because if covid. Says they have songs ready once they decide what to do with the next album,wouldn't commit to anything. I think we are looking at late 2022 into 2023.

Thanks for the summary. Certainly seems like the rest of this year will be Sing 2 (and possibly Bono's book) centric. Maybe we'll get an info dump around the holidays with a blu-ray something or other.

Kind of a relief re: the acoustic songs hinted at a few weeks ago are re-recordings of older songs. I brought that I thought that was the case up, but the conversation eventually turned to generally deciding that they might be recording new material. If they release any of it, it sounds like fodder for supplemental material to a greatest hits package, or the JT30 film or something.

Thanks for the summary. Certainly seems like the rest of this year will be Sing 2 (and possibly Bono's book) centric. Maybe we'll get an info dump around the holidays with a blu-ray something or other.

Kind of a relief re: the acoustic songs hinted at a few weeks ago are re-recordings of older songs. I brought that I thought that was the case up, but the conversation eventually turned to generally deciding that they might be recording new material. If they release any of it, it sounds like fodder for supplemental material to a greatest hits package, or the JT30 film or something.
Would seem weird to re record well known songs and not release them in some form. Fan club gift next year?

It would be hilarious if the band couldn't win an Oscar for contributing to Gangs of New York or the Mandela film but wind up getting it for Sing 2. Best Original Song winners these days often come from animated films so it's not the craziest possibility.

I hope they're not sitting on material just because they can't play it live yet. We know what happens when they wait too long.

It would be hilarious if the band couldn't win an Oscar for contributing to Gangs of New York or the Mandela film but wind up getting it for Sing 2. Best Original Song winners these days often come from animated films so it's not the craziest possibility.

I hope they're not sitting on material just because they can't play it live yet. We know what happens when they wait too long.
That's what I was thinking,he says they always think in terms of touring and they can't do that just now. Said they have songs in the silo ready to go,as long as they don't tinker!

I wish U2 realized that being a Studio Band and a Live Band are not mutually exclusive. They're the biggest band in the world, they can do whatever they want! Their one-off singles are usually pretty good and decently received, they just never support them if/when they start going anywhere.

One of the most frustrating things about them trying for Hits anymore, is that they only try every 5 years or so. If they truly wanted to be relevant, they could try being more prolific. Greater risk of backlash, for sure, but there's that Michael Scott/Wayne Gretzky quote that applies here...

For a band that has postured with new technology over and over throughout the years, they're incredibly hesitant to actually jump in to the modern way of getting content to their fans/out into the world.

Also, I wonder what the deal is with the remastered music videos.

At first I was hoping they'd unveil something video related at the end of the campaign, but they finished Zooropa about a month ago and have once again seemingly said, "FUCK POP!" Maybe Larry got the internal memo that Discotheque was due up soon and that was enough to end the project.

I wish U2 realized that being a Studio Band and a Live Band are not mutually exclusive. They're the biggest band in the world, they can do whatever they want! Their one-off singles are usually pretty good and decently received, they just never support them if/when they start going anywhere.

One of the most frustrating things about them trying for Hits anymore, is that they only try every 5 years or so. If they truly wanted to be relevant, they could try being more prolific. Greater risk of backlash, for sure, but there's that Michael Scott/Wayne Gretzky quote that applies here...

For a band that has postured with new technology over and over throughout the years, they're incredibly hesitant to actually jump in to the modern way of getting content to their fans/out into the world.

Let's be honest here. It's not just them taking too long between projects. It's the most obvious thing that they seem to not be aware of. THERE ARE NO ROCK BANDS ON POP RADIO, AND YOUR STREAMING GAME IS WEAK SO YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A "HIT" SONG AGAIN.

I listen to the pop station when I drive with my daughter. The typical hour includes:
2 Dua Lipa songs, Li'l Nas X, Doja Cat at least once, Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, The Weekend and usually 2 Olivia Rodrigo songs, Rinse and repeat. Anything else thrown in is pure pop, usually female solo artist, or rap/R&B.

Maaaaybe 5 or 10 years ago you would get a Coldplay song, or an Imagine Dragons, or 21 Pilots, Or Panic At the Disco, and yes I'm really stretching the definition of "Rock" here. But that isn't the case anymore.

To be anywhere on the charts now, you pretty much have to be on pop radio as it has probably 10 times the spins of any other radio format out there. You also have to have a fan base whose primary way of listening to music is Youtube, Spotify, Apple Music, etc... And those same people have to actually have the time and interest to listen repeatedly.

All said, U2 have few/none of those things. The idea that they may still have some notion of having another hit, is so tone deaf to the reality they are in. Just put down the acoustic guitars and make some music that matters to you, and let the chips fall where they may.

What Adam said about plans going forward.View attachment 12905

This is something I'm not very excited about.... in my opinion the band is not great in doing these stripped down versions. And, after a while, it would be great to get new, fresh u2 songs. Or releases that 've been shelved for a long time (studiorecordings from Mercy, North Star, Boy falls... etc. Etc.). Songs of Ascent would've been exactly the right thing to release in these weird times without touring.

By the way what happened to the Heartland, JT30 movie? Cinemas opened their doors months ago.

In short: there would've been a lot to look forward to, but the news about recordings of acoustic songs is (again) a great disappointment.

i believe Adam said it was an old song that they were recording acoustic for the soundtrack - and considering that Still Haven't Found features heavily in the first trailer? Yea, I'd say that's the odds on favorite.

One thing we have been told will not be part of the plans is a thirtieth anniversary tour.

Ultimately, probably a smart move.

we are told that there will be a focus on some sort of new digital experience to celebrate the album. Not only will they celebrate the album, but we are told we will get a deeper look at the birth of the album, and the album’s roots in Berlin.

I'm not sure how much deeper they can go than the feature-length documentary that was already made, but doing some interactive, innovative thing online could go some ways in rehabilitating their image, or at least stressing the importance of their metamorphosis.

i believe Adam said it was an old song that they were recording acoustic for the soundtrack - and considering that Still Haven't Found features heavily in the first trailer? Yea, I'd say that's the odds on favorite.

I should have known better than to expect something new. But not really what I want them doing, either, as this would be pretty embarrassing even if it did well.

I just had a chilling thought: what if they're recording an acoustic Achtung Baby for its 30th anniversary?

If anything I would think they could do a recorded show in a empty warehouse/arena with a stage/tribute to ZooTV. Sale it as a virtual ticket for $10-$20 thru U2.com and play AB/Zooropa songs for the fans.

I guess we'll see but I'm not getting my hopes up too much w/ the ATYCLB Anniverasy release...

Back
Top Bottom