New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this basis know if Larry is simply done being in U2 because he’s over it, or does Larry not want to be a part of what U2 has become?

makes me wonder if Bono’s talk of dropping the extra curriculars and recommitting to the band was a reaction to Mr Sunshine

makes me wonder if Bono’s talk of dropping the extra curriculars and recommitting to the band was a reaction to Mr Sunshine

That Paul McGuiness chapter in Surrender made me think the same. I love Bono, but he is probably a LOT to handle on a day to day basis. :lol:

he's also - ya know - old.

there does come a point where you need to focus on what's most important in the time you have left. at 60+ years old no one can blame him for wanting to hand his non band, non family work off to someone else.

That too. The health scares probably put some stuff into perspective.

there does come a point where you need to focus on what's most important in the time you have left. at 60+ years old no one can blame him for wanting to hand his non band, non family work off to someone else.

playing with the band is not non-band work. Unless this you’re thinking this becomes a “Larry in the sheets, Bram in the streets” arrangement

I think Bono and Edge can’t live without it. One thing I noticed at the Beacon is how much Bono seemed to be absolutely loving it up there. He was so at home.

One gets the sense that Edge is the same. They both want to be remembered as all time songwriting ledgends.

Adam seems pretty much DTF whenever.

Then there’s Larry.

I think Bono and Edge can’t live without it. One thing I noticed at the Beacon is how much Bono seemed to be absolutely loving it up there. He was so at home.

He really was spectacular during those shows. Just loving it up there. So long as he is having so much fun and being so damn good, there is no way he is stopping, Lardence be damned.

Also, hiiii Irivine! :heart:

I thought the quote "when you drum as hard as Larry"was funny. Like he drums that hard. U2 is not a metal band.

I thought the quote "when you drum as hard as Larry"was funny. Like he drums that hard. U2 is not a metal band.

Are you trying to tell us that Bono exaggerates and that the Edge's guitar has never actually been on fire? :sad:

Yeah I got a chuckle out of that.
Ny those standards Lars Ulrich would have exploded into a million pieces years ago. (Which would make lots of folks happy).

Yeah I got a chuckle out of that.
Ny those standards Lars Ulrich would have exploded into a million pieces years ago. (Which would make lots of folks happy).

I get that they're not a metal band.

However, I certainly get where Bono is coming from. Go back and listen to War or watch any footage from that tour especially!

I've always thought Larry was an underrated drummer. An all time great? No. Unique and doesn't get enough credit for his innovations, versatility and contributions to U2? Absolutely. So I always followed his playing and watched him as closely as the other band members.

I had seen U2 live and watched countless hours of footage before the Somerville Theatre NLOTH promo show in 2009.

I was working security down front right below the Edge and remember being SHOCKED at how hard Larry hit those drums! Every bass drum hit, every cymbal crash SHOOK and reverberated through my entire body in a way I never quite experienced before. Even after hundreds of loud rock shows.

Had I heard louder, more complicated, harder rock, metal drumming sounds? Yes. Was it clearly not that? Yes again. However, Larry has a hard hitting style that's kind of hard to describe. But you will feel it. Rest assured.

In that context, Bono's comments aren't surprising at all to me. Seeing as he's been closer than I was that night for 45 years.

On a related note, I still think too much is being made of Larry's little trip to the disabled list! We all know he's the surly one. As everyone has said, that's been known for decades. We also know he's well capable and not afraid of speaking out, and doesn't much care who he makes uncomfortable when he does so.

If this were the end for him, or if he was sitting out for other reasons, I think we'd hear about it! Maybe not anything long or in depth, but he'd make his feelings known.

Do I see a scenario where he stops before the rest of them want to and all of a sudden they're faced with a decision? Yes. I just think everything we know about Larry tells us we are not there yet.

I take what they've all said about this Vegas residency at face value.

He really was spectacular during those shows. Just loving it up there. So long as he is having so much fun and being so damn good, there is no way he is stopping, Lardence be damned.

Also, hiiii Irivine! :heart:

Hello [emoji112] great to see you back!

I mean, I know most of us don't care for it (I should probably go back and finish those last 3-4 songs I have not heard yet), but are we not counting SOS as a studio album? :hmm: It's not like it is just a greatest hits compilation of prior recordings. Or is the standard new music only?

I mean, I know most of us don't care for it (I should probably go back and finish those last 3-4 songs I have not heard yet), but are we not counting SOS as a studio album? :hmm: It's not like it is just a greatest hits compilation of prior recordings. Or is the standard new music only?

It is definitely a unique effort by U2, but I don't count it as new music. I love U2 and have been with them on every musical direction they've gone in, but I gave SOS 2 listens and I was good. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime down the line, but not now.

I respect the effort that went into Songs of Surrender. I rarely go back to it, but when I do I actually enjoy a lot of what's on there.

When I first heard of the project I thought it would be nice for, like, Sunday morning drives, beach playlists, vacation relaxing moments, etc... and, well, pretty much nothing else.

And that's pretty much what I've used it as, and hey, I like it for those moments.

I don't think I've so much as thought about SOS since the week it came out, let alone re-listened to it. A few of the reworkings were brilliant and a few others were cool, but for me the other 30 songs ranged from "this is basically the same track" to "what is this crap?"

i think the key with SOS - and the band's approach - is the relative lack of push that they gave it in comparison to other projects.

yes - they marketed it. yes, they put up billboards. they did some press. so it wasn't just a throw away project - but it was also a far cry from their normal promotional machine.

no videos outside of one lyric video for Pride. no late night appearances - no bono and edge doing acoustic shit on the usual circuit. no promo shows. and the whole thing kinda just died out after release as everything pivoted to the Sphere shows.

it was just a thing they did. if you like it, great. if you don't, who cares.

I enjoy it at times. I really love some versions of the songs. Others I can’t remember.

Not listening to much of any U2 at the moment. But I’m sure I’ll cycle back in the fall.

Until The End Of The World & I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For sounded great and I come back to those. Oh yeah, Pride too.

I think for me it’s as much a comment on the strength of new music so far this year that I haven’t listened to it more. There’s a lot to like on it, and even if you can only find 8-10 you’d go back to, that’s a mini album worth of goodness. Since it came out there’s been three different Fridays where 3 albums from bands I love have dropped and I haven’t gotten around to all of them yet. An album of u2 re-workings isn’t going to break through that noise consistently. When I have listened to parts of it in the last month, I am still enjoying it.

You know what's fucked up? I still think U2 has one more great album in them. And it seems we're almost at a point where it could be the last album with all 4 original members. Now, I really enjoyed U2's last 2 albums. I liked SOI a little more than SOE. If they're able to somehow successfully meld all the great things they did over say the last 23 years, they might have a great album. :wink: With all the fucked up shit that's gone down in the world, there should be plenty of good material for songs. Bust out the guitar for Christ's sake! We just gotta make sure Larry doesn't drum too hard.

Back
Top Bottom