New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IF they truly have an album in the can, I'm surprised as it will have been the quietest recording session for them in memory

Which suggests either they were successful in keeping everything largely a secret OR there's less interest in new u2 recordings in general, and fewer people snooping for tidbits & beach clips

I think for sure your 2nd point is accurate. Man...the SOI hype and rumors were wild and that was even tame compared to 2004.

That reminds me, we had a member here that posted about going into her local record store and asking the employees if they heard anything about the new album almost daily. :lol:

Does the band even have to be together anymore for recording? From what I recall during SOE, it seemed like the songs were patched together digitally.

Edge puts down his piece, it's sent over to dublin and Larry + Adam record their sections....Bono comes in and sings over the track....from an Arbys

Does the band even have to be together anymore for recording? From what I recall during SOE, it seemed like the songs were patched together digitally.

Edge puts down his piece, it's sent over to dublin and Larry + Adam record their sections....Bono comes in and sings over the track....from an Arbys

I think this is largely what happens. And I think we can hear the results, unfortunately.

But, hey, maybe working like this enables them to keep working and (very slowly) still put out new music.

I think this is largely what happens. And I think we can hear the results, unfortunately.

But, hey, maybe working like this enables them to keep working and (very slowly) still put out new music.

I agree. The magic of U2 was them in a room jamming until the songs came out. It drove producers and even themselves mad, but that’s where the spark exists.

I’m not sure it can really fire up with their current method. It’s basically Edge laying down all the music (which he did before too, but then they all got together to play it) and the rest of the band are session players.

A few songs have been close. Little Things almost gets there but for me it still feels too clean. A song like that in the 80s or 90s might have been a little bit longer or some instrumental parts vs a pop song. Not sure they really improve the ending tho

I agree. The magic of U2 was them in a room jamming until the songs came out. It drove producers and even themselves mad, but that’s where the spark exists.

I’m not sure it can really fire up with their current method. It’s basically Edge laying down all the music (which he did before too, but then they all got together to play it) and the rest of the band are session players.

A few songs have been close. Little Things almost gets there but for me it still feels too clean. A song like that in the 80s or 90s might have been a little bit longer or some instrumental parts vs a pop song. Not sure they really improve the ending tho

This is what Bono means I think for them to really” go there” as he says to make a really great record. Sacrificing their other interests and get back into a studio together with a focused and tough effort. Think of it as just like us regular shlubs working from home. Some put in the effort, even more effort, and some take advantage of it and mail it in. Some people flourish in an office together and I think this band is no different.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp of "I don't want a new U2 album unless it's a classic". I don't need big singles or anything like that but I would love for them to release one that critically is thought of as an amazing late career album.

The Foo Fighters just accomplished this after almost 30 years with "But Here We Are", which is arguably in their Top 3. It's possible with U2 but they need to be focused, stick with a theme, and not over tweak.

I'm in the camp of "I don't want a new U2 album unless it's a classic". I don't need big singles or anything like that but I would love for them to release one that critically is thought of as an amazing late career album.

The Foo Fighters just accomplished this after almost 30 years with "But Here We Are", which is arguably in their Top 3. It's possible with U2 but they need to be focused, stick with a theme, and not over tweak.

I'd be in both camps if that was how they operated. If they released an album every 1-2 years with some goods, and some forgettable, I'd be happy. If they released an album every 5 years with god-tier songs every 7 years, I'd be happy.

Instead we get every 5-6 years with 1-2 good songs, and the rest a muddled mismatch of styling. I like SoE a lot, but the try-hardness of YTBTAM - American Soul is so wildly out of place (and I like the former quite a bit).

I'd be in both camps if that was how they operated. If they released an album every 1-2 years with some goods, and some forgettable, I'd be happy. If they released an album every 5 years with god-tier songs every 7 years, I'd be happy.

Instead we get every 5-6 years with 1-2 good songs, and the rest a muddled mismatch of styling. I like SoE a lot, but the try-hardness of YTBTAM - American Soul is so wildly out of place (and I like the former quite a bit).

I'm firmly in the camp that I hoped their advancing years would see them wanting to get more material out there and maybe try different things - but they want to stick to what they've always done - all efforts in to a single album with tour ever 5 years or so.

I wonder if the try-too-hard songs are the result of not have an album's worth of decent tunes. They have to force a few over the finish line...

I wonder if the try-too-hard songs are the result of not have an album's worth of decent tunes. They have to force a few over the finish line...

interesting - so instead of the commonly held thought that they take too much time and over-tinker, it's actually a case of not having enough time to get enough good songs?

Willing to put $10 on them having at least 2 songs that were better than American Soul and Get Out they could’ve put onto the last record. They are holding things for other projects instead of just releasing EPs or non-album singles. Oldness and fear are not proper QC measures.

I guarantee they thought Get Out was going to be a hit because it would remind people of "You Can Go Your Own Way" and had the thumping bass and drum like "Beautiful Day".

What they don't realize is that nostalgia will only really work if they release an album that sounds more like The Joshua Tree at this point.

I guarantee they thought Get Out was going to be a hit because it would remind people of "You Can Go Your Own Way" and had the thumping bass and drum like "Beautiful Day".

What they don't realize is that nostalgia will only really work if they release an album that sounds more like The Joshua Tree at this point.

7syoaw.jpg

wild to think of this place as popular once. or any of y'all olds not being cranky.

I can't even fathom people talking about HTDAAB as an upcoming U2 album.

Last edited:
wild to think of this place as popular once. or any of y'all olds not being cranky.

I can't even fathom people talking about HTDAAB as an upcoming U2 album.

The beach clips!!

The orgasmic reaction to 30 seconds of Miracle Drug…..

It was fun to get those clips where now we have rereleases of dvds

Back
Top Bottom