New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they can ever figure all of this out they have a chance to be a really good band….maybe even great.

This is absolutely what they should be doing at this point of their career.

They should take a page from the Rolling Stones book. Since 2012, they have just focused on one region per year (NA, Europe, Australiasia, etc). They typically do 20 or less shows per year. U2 should adopt this method, and then just release albums or EPs whenever they feel like it. It would take the pressure off them in a lot of ways, and would probably result in us getting more music released overall.

Uh.. no.

Neil McCormick doesn’t believe a NEW U2 album will be released until 2025. Realistically they won’t start working on it seriously until after Vegas, sometime in 2024. So late 2024/early 2025, with a tour beginning in 2025 is the best case scenario, I think.

Ugh, I wish I could go to one of these Vegas shows!!

Maybe. Neil can say a lot of things. Doesnt mean it will happen.

Adam saying they won't decide what to do next until after the sphere,and they see what's happening with Larry. So likely new album late 2024?

Adam saying they won't decide what to do next until after the sphere,and they see what's happening with Larry. So likely new album late 2024?

What did he actually say, that's a bit worrying if they're assessing Larry's situation... hope it isn't concerns that he won't be able to play and quits.

It merely sounds like they can't decide what to do next until they know for sure what the deal is with Lar Lar.

This is exceptionally wishful thinking, but considering last new album was 2017… this could mean flipping the release order of SOA and the guitar album. Unlikely to tour extensively off SOA. They could drop it while they record guitar album - so SOA March 2024, some Bono/Edge promo stuff, and songs of filthy guitars Nov 24/Mar 25.

This is exceptionally wishful thinking, but considering last new album was 2017… this could mean flipping the release order of SOA and the guitar album. Unlikely to tour extensively off SOA. They could drop it while they record guitar album - so SOA March 2024, some Bono/Edge promo stuff, and songs of filthy guitars Nov 24/Mar 25.

Methinks they’ll want to tour both. If they line up the releases they could conceivably get a stadium run and an arena run similar to JT30/I+E. Moreover, Vegas buys them some time. Kennedy Center Honors, Bono’s book and book tour, SOS release and then they do the Vegas dates and that’s all roughly within a 12 month span.

They could take 2024 out of the public eye and be back in 2025 with *something* but it all comes down to Larry.

It merely sounds like they can't decide what to do next until they know for sure what the deal is with Lar Lar.

Yip, they've been pretty consistent on this point at least. With Bono's shows, rehearsals either side for the Sphere shows and then those shows, that's going to be all of this year taken up.

Assuming Larry is then fit and raring to go, I'm going to guess next year will be recording the album, so release and tour to come the year after.

Original rumours were up to 12 shows - adding the Wednesdays from the start is interesting. 12 shows and we haven’t hit November yet.

Original rumours were up to 12 shows - adding the Wednesdays from the start is interesting. 12 shows and we haven’t hit November yet.

my guess is this... they committed to 12 shows, and will hit the 12 - but left some space open to add more if demand allows.

but, at the same time, if demand doesn't allow? they want to be in and out and not hanging around fabulous las vegas nevada into november for a show here, a show there - thus the approach they've taken here.

my guess is this... they committed to 12 shows, and will hit the 12 - but left some space open to add more if demand allows.

but, at the same time, if demand doesn't allow? they want to be in and out and not hanging around fabulous las vegas nevada into november for a show here, a show there - thus the approach they've taken here.

And the registration approach lets them see demand before a single ticket is sold.

And the registration approach lets them see demand before a single ticket is sold.
Yup.

I've been saying since these rumors first started that the people who thought this shit was going to be at least a grand to get in the door were nuts.

It's a 20,000 seat arena. Even the band wanted to make sure tickets would sell before going all in.

One of the guitar magazines interviewed edge in the last couple of weeks and he mentioned that they have “tons” of new material to pick from for the new album. I don’t think they are starting from scratch - maybe they just think SOA on the back of SOS might be a bit too mellow and they are mining their unreleased catalogues for a more update release. Either way, after 6 years of no new music I’m sure they will drop something next year.

One of the guitar magazines interviewed edge in the last couple of weeks and he mentioned that they have “tons” of new material to pick from for the new album. I don’t think they are starting from scratch - maybe they just think SOA on the back of SOS might be a bit too mellow and they are mining their unreleased catalogues for a more update release. Either way, after 6 years of no new music I’m sure they will drop something next year.

All comes down to Larry’s readiness. Will they go work in the studio without him able to play?

All comes down to Larry’s readiness. Will they go work in the studio without him able to play?

I’m sure there’s lots they can progress in terms of writing and demoing. And if there’s stuff from the last few years they’ve put on tape they will certainly have a jumping off point. I think we can be hopeful that Jan 2024 isn’t the very start of the process.

“I’m not sure U2 are going to turn into AC/DC exactly," Edge warns, tempering expectations fuelled by Bono recently that he might pull an Angus Young on the next album.

"I’ll still be trying to find ways to use the instrument that are new and unfamiliar. But I’m absolutely convinced that the guitar is going to be front and centre within mainstream music culture in a year or two, and I want to be part of that revival.”

I wonder what Edge is listening to for him to believe that guitar is going to make a comeback in today’s pro tools- hip hop world? Any guitar resurgence seems related to the niche instagram/ TikTok virtuosos or church worship music crowd.

Unless Edge was listening to this https://youtu.be/kwbJrxxqDtI

And was thinking to himself, U2 can do something more interesting than the above.

Back
Top Bottom