Linear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also being a great photographer, doesn't automatically make you a great director. It is quite a different art. (and directing is harder)

:crack: Directing is harder, eh? Care to expand on that? I suppose you are both a photographer and a film maker?

Has anyone got (a quality version of) the coverart for Linear?

I just downloaded it and put it on my iPhone as a film, and would like to use the DVD's cover as coverart... Couldn't find it anywhere though, just the diagonal image that was part of the boxset coverart...

:crack: Directing is harder, eh? Care to expand on that? I suppose you are both a photographer and a film maker?

Neither, but it is obvious which is harder. It's like walking vs running.

You can tell by the Breathe segment, the burning motorcycle would make for a great still, but extended into a 4 minute video it becomes a rather boring clip.

Neither, but it is obvious which is harder. It's like walking vs running.

You can tell by the Breathe segment, the burning motorcycle would make for a great still, but extended into a 4 minute video it becomes a rather boring clip.

I'd have to disagree with you man. You were right when you said theyre two different arts. The analogy of running vs walking doesnt hold though. Sure, on the surface, you would think 'well one is a moving picture, so it must be more difficult', but in a way, photography is being handicapped by the fact that the picture isnt moving. Instead of having an entire scene (with time, dialogue, music, etc) in which to get your message across, you have to do the same within a single frame. It takes incredible skill to achieve in one frame what a film maker might in thousands. Now, I'm not claiming that photography is harder. I'm simply saying they are different disciplines. Whether you like Linear or not is obviously subjective, I just dont think its accurate to claim film is harder than photography or vice versa

I'd have to disagree with you man. You were right when you said theyre two different arts. The analogy of running vs walking doesnt hold though. Sure, on the surface, you would think 'well one is a moving picture, so it must be more difficult', but in a way, photography is being handicapped by the fact that the picture isnt moving. Instead of having an entire scene (with time, dialogue, music, etc) in which to get your message across, you have to do the same within a single frame. It takes incredible skill to achieve in one frame what a film maker might in thousands. Now, I'm not claiming that photography is harder. I'm simply saying they are different disciplines. Whether you like Linear or not is obviously subjective, I just dont think its accurate to claim film is harder than photography or vice versa

But on film you have to get the dialogue, music, action, editing etc right as well.
And you have to hold your audience's attention for a long span of time, which is harder than taking a nifty photo that a viewer may find interesting.

Not all photography conveys as much as a film does either.

But on film you have to get the dialogue, music, action, editing etc right as well.
And you have to hold your audience's attention for a long span of time, which is harder than taking a nifty photo that a viewer may find interesting.

Not all photography conveys as much as a film does either.

Well, referring to photography as 'nifty' somewhat belittles it, so I dont know what kind of esteem you hold photography in to begin with. Sure, you have to get dialogue, music, action, editing, etc right when you make a film. Thats kind of what I was getting at with them being different beasts. A film maker has to hold your attention for a long span of time, but in that span, you have many different scenes, many different stories, many different subplots. If you were to go to a gallery showcasing a photographers specific body of work, where you'd find many pictures possibly dealing with the same theme or message, I'd say that in some cases, you'd be required to hold the viewers attention for a longer period.
And of course not all photographs convey as much as a film, but it could easily be said that not all films convey as much as a photo does. Try comparing a Brett Ratner film to some of Gregory Crewdson's work

I think calling him a bad director is a bit much. The premise in this film is a bit too thin to stretch accross a 1 hour album. Especially given that the songs have changed slightly so that they dont quite fit the story.

I mean, all the happens is the dude packs in his job, burns his bike, and rides down to the south of spain... and it goes for an hour....

It's not so much a film as it a screensaver, a background set of images, to play over a home stereo / DVD system at a party. (insert joke here about it being "some party" lol)... Bono has said the album is about surrender and pilgrimage and both of those themes are addressed in the film.

Best part is the shot of the stripper's ass right as the "let me in the sound" part kicks in :drool:

Watched it last night, what a load of old pish.
No point even trying to defend it for what it is.

Move to trash indeed.

I haven't seen it yet, but Corbijn is a photographer, he isn't really a film director, thus I'm not surprised it isn't a proper "movie". The film seems to be more a montage of pictures. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

I havent seen the GOYB part yet. Sounds like i'm missing the best bit!:ohmy:

I do like the Magnificent section with the fuzzy filming of the band. But what's up with the waitress staring at the fella whilst he's eating?!:huh: I kept waiting for her to walk over and kiss him.

Wouldnt it be funny if U2 couldnt be arsed to do a video for Magnificent when it comes out as a single, and just released the footage from Linear instead? :|

The movie sounds kind of strange ... can't wait to watch it to find out myself.

I only paid 40 euros for the box set, still I would have loved to have some U2 performance video or extra footage or some kind of documentary on the DVD instead of that movie or in addition to the movie.

At least the book looks good.

Yes this is the thing I'm most interested in.
DTS/Dolby surround sound would give the album a whole new dimension sound-wise.

I am really, really surprised and disappointed the move is not mixed in 5.1 dts. I think all U2 recordings (except the latest remasters) are not very good. A lot of other artists use the 5.1 technology to let their music sound as best as possible. The music in dts 5.1 can sound so powerfull.

I like the movie, but I'm very disappointed about the sound. :sad::sad::sad:

I am really, really surprised and disappointed the move is not mixed in 5.1 dts. I think all U2 recordings (except the latest remasters) are not very good. A lot of other artists use the 5.1 technology to let their music sound as best as possible. The music in dts 5.1 can sound so powerfull.

had they mixed it in 5.1, i would have bought it even with how awful the movie is. that would have made it worth it. since they have never done anything in 5.1, except for concerts, you had to know they wouldn't. if they ever do mix an album in 5.1, it will be well after the album comes out as a special edition, and it will cost $50.

as much as u2 likes to talk about innovative ways to release music, they are woefully behind the curve.

Just watched it, and...

What a pretentious, self-absorbed piece of shit that was!!!

I think calling him a bad director is a bit much. The premise in this film is a bit too thin to stretch accross a 1 hour album. Especially given that the songs have changed slightly so that they dont quite fit the story.

I mean, all the happens is the dude packs in his job, burns his bike, and rides down to the south of spain... and it goes for an hour....

I think the story was just a means to obtain visuals though. Each song has a visual concept. its not really meant to be watched as a story, though the story kind of ties it all together. And the images take a backseat to the music, hence the repetition that everyone is complaining about. I believe Anton shot it as he would tour visuals to be played on the screen during the concerts. If theres too much going on onscreen, it would be distracting from the music. I wouldnt be surprised if we see a lot of these during the tour. If you take it for what it is, i think the visuals are really quite beautiful

It's not so much a film as it a screensaver, a background set of images, to play over a home stereo / DVD system at a party. (insert joke here about it being "some party" lol)... Bono has said the album is about surrender and pilgrimage and both of those themes are addressed in the film.

Best part is the shot of the stripper's ass right as the "let me in the sound" part kicks in :drool:

I have not seen it yet so I can't comment either way... but I heard the same thing as LyricalDrug, that it is not a movie so much as a moving image instead of a still album cover the whole time. How would you rate it as a background screen saver?

Have loved Anton's work for years, so splashed out on the box. £45 in the UK - the digipack was £22 - so £23 for the book and DVD didn't seem too bad.

I do think people not liking this are missing the point a bit - its not supposed to be a movie, but just some visuals to create some mood and atmosphere to go with the music - and for the most part it does so very well.

Something like Unkown Caller - no, its not that exciting, but it captures a mood, and the timing of the visuals to the music is spot on, or Winter (which I love), with the bike going round bends in a perfect fit with the music being a couple of examples.

Shame about Being Born though - think that one needed something a bit more interesting - as someone else said, some more dramatic coastal scenes maybe.

But whatever else, I love that NLOTH and Linear are musically and visually interesting in a way U2 perhaps haven't been since Achtung Baby

That's kind of what I thought too. Some songs are great matches of music and imagery, others are a bit weaker (yes, I think Being born is bad, and there are perhaps too many motorcycle songs). I bet that's due to the cuts the movie suffered (the fabled lost half hour) and the changes to the songs.

But it's a nice addition to the album and Winter is great (IMHO, of course).

Certainly it's the most ambitious U2 album in a while, when you look at the whole package, even the artwork.

I like the movie, but I'm very disappointed about the sound. :sad::sad::sad:

5.1 is not necessarily "the best". whereas I agree it can be a great format, in the end you only have two ears, so everything is "mixed down to stereo" anyway.

Good music and sound should be possible just with two audio channels.

I agree though that for movies, etc.. 5.1 can be really nice.

its an interesting film. not mind blowing. i sort of consider it in the realm of the pop artists, just setting a bunch of images to music with no straight narrative. Example, during White As Snow, Said (I think that's the actors name... you know... the new guy from Lost) is just sitting on his motorcycle looking up at the clouds, and they start moving.

Yeah, UC is just shots of moving roadways. But i sorta liked that. I like the stuff that lets you zone out and just enjoy the music with a moving canvas behind it. We'll get better orchestrated music vids later.

I guess I was sort of hoping that we'd see more of a "film that follows the lyrics" type of thing (example, motorcycle shots would have made the most sense during Being Born) but instead its Said eating a salad while the waitress, filled with ennui, chews on her fingernails with that trademark Corbijn look in her eyes.

But over all its a cool little art piece companion.

I also think Being Born not matching is a direct result of last minute album tracklist changes. When Corbijn was working on the film, weren't Tripoli and Every Breaking Wave in there instead of White as Snow and Being Born.

Who knows...maybe Tripoli is a song about clouds and Every Breaking Wave is a song about salads. :D

"Every sailor knows the sea / is a friend made enemy / so pass the balsamic vinaigrette / this ocean aint seen nothin yet"

Sorta goes with the abandoned "food" concept of the album (see the Butter on Toast line from Winter)

"Every sailor knows the sea / is a friend made enemy / so pass the balsamic vinaigrette / this ocean aint seen nothin yet"

Sorta goes with the abandoned "food" concept of the album (see the Butter on Toast line from Winter)

LOL!!!! oh shit, funniest post I've seen. +internets to you, kind sir

i´ve got the box set today and i just can say that i love it. the design, the book itself etc..real good work.

linear is also featured in the bookled of the CD..there are loads of stills of the movie in there. and i also like the concept with the maps and latitudinal lines. it´s a good concept at all and it was worth to spend 48 euros.

Back
Top Bottom