Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I may have an opinion about this song...
I didn’t think I would like it, based on the snippets we’d heard and the general opinions on here.
I finally listened today. And I like it. A lot. Another U2 song that speaks to me exactly when I need it.
:rockon:

If I may have an opinion about this song...
I didn’t think I would like it, based on the snippets we’d heard and the general opinions on here.
I finally listened today. And I like it. A lot. Another U2 song that speaks to me exactly when I need it.
:rockon:
I actually find the lyric in the first verse and the 'bigger' section of the chorus really powerful. As a dad. For me that really works as a letter from a parent to a child.
Kudos Mr Hewson.

I actually find the lyric in the first verse and the 'bigger' section of the chorus really powerful. As a dad. For me that really works as a letter from a parent to a child.
Kudos Mr Hewson.

:up: My dad died a couple of years ago, so maybe that’s a reason why it resonates with me.

:up: My dad died a couple of years ago, so maybe that’s a reason why it resonates with me.
Argh fuck. Condolences. I can very much see that lyric resonating for you.
I've been a bit pissed with some of Bono's lyrics this album, but credit where it's due. He's nailed this one.
Not only the words but the rhythm of his delivery.

I'm becoming a fan of this song. Truly didn't see that coming!

I'd love to see what they would come up with if they sat down and decided "Fuck hits and relevance, let's just go with our instinct and stop second guessing everything" ... but then of course held to that.

If anyone's written a song on here before, they'd know that second guessing is part of the craft. It's not exactly something you can just turn off. If that were the case, we'd have I Feel Free instead of UTEOTW, Down With the Days instead of Numb, etc.

It's just this band does enough interviews where we know a lot about how they record and then perhaps blame that for the album release delays or our dissatisfaction with the newer material in the Internet age.

Just throwing it out there, and it might mean bugger all, but here in the UK, the singles from AB didn't chart very high (except The Fly)

Uh no, they did pretty well considering four of the five releases came out after the album...

The Fly #1
Mysterious Ways #13
One #7
Even Better Than the Real Thing #12 RMX #8
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses #14 (5th single from album)
+
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) #4
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me #2
Miss Sarajevo #6

The actual ZOO TV era (let's call it) including Passengers and Batman was pretty successful as regards singles and was more or less repeated with Pop which had four Top 10 hits in 1997.

Ive given this about a dozen spins today so Ill weigh in on my thoughts and try to provide some reasoning rather than a blanket statement of "This song is like finding gold in my pocket" or "This song is like poop in my cereal bowl"

My thoughts:

The first 20 seconds are beautiful sounding. The record player "screeching/popping" sound at the very start that then leads into the chiming and organ sound is just awesome.

Bono's vocal delivery is cool and different. I especially like how he manages to deliver the line "The Face of liberty is about to crack, she had a plan until she got a smacked in the mouth and it all went south" he changes speed and style in his delivery and it works.

The lyrics are on point, my favorite being "The enemy is armies of assistance", which to me means people who are complacent and don't speak out…love it. The Lincoln's ghost line does stick out as odd but its not that bad and Im okay with it.

The chorus start of "Get out of your own way" is a bit subdued in the way "You're The Best thing About Me" is but then when it goes into the main chorus it picks up and explodes. During which we hear the background singing of "oooooh, ooooooh, oooooooh" which sounds awesome!

Edges solo is nice but seems like they have him on a leash and he doesn't really let loose. He is also not front and center in this song but similar to SOI, in the background doing a lot of work.

The rap part is very out of place and is just off to me, I don't like it. Im sure it will have a flow on the album into American Soul but I don't care for it at all. Thankfully, its at the very end of the song and I can ignore it.

I hate rating songs so soon but my first impression (might change for the better or worse): 8.5/10 its a good song.

Everything you said.

I love the song, I hate the rap. This and Blackout are my favorites thus far.

My only issue is the stupid and embarrassing things they keep putting in their songs, an issue that was only prominent since Vertigo IMO (and Miami as an isolated case, but all of Miami sucks for me anyway).

All this talk of Some Days lyrics is not the same as what I mean. The whole song is like that.

I feel frustrated because I know U2 are still capable. I think they've still got it. Which is different from the arguments of those who say they haven't got it anymore. But U2's decisions are what frustrate me. They end up ruining their own songs. GOOYOW with the preach at the end, The Blackout with the rhyming names. Things like these really don't need to be there.

I know I could edit GOOYOW myself to snip off the last 30 seconds or so, but the fact that I'd have to do that just because U2 decided to put something truly stupid in their song... People may like it, but I don't, and people should be allowed to voice their opinions on here without getting snapped at constantly.

This band still have it, GOOYOW is a good song but it's ruined by the preach, Blackout is a good song but the rhyming names pisses me off. Things like that!

Furthermore, they make great songs that don't even make albums, which further frustrates me! I know it's all opinion, but adding The Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands to SOI wouldn't have harmed anything, and for me would have brought the album up loads.

Yes I may 'obsess', but that's ok, or should be. I'm quite analytical with certain things, actually have OCD and aspergers diagnoses too, as fans we should be allowed to question U2's decisions.

And for the record, I am not one of these "old U2 is amazing and new U2 sucks" people - in my case, all throughout their career, I have liked U2 songs here and there - chunks from each album, but things on each album I don't like. October never did it for me, War is half and half, TUF is half and half for me. I don't really like Zooropa, and Pop has some good stuff but also some real flaws. I love ATYCLB except the last 2 tracks, and for the most part I like Bomb. I love AB, not crazy about Zoo Station or The Fly though (they're ok). TJT is probably the only album where I like every track on it. NLOTH is full of weird and questionable cringeworthy stuff for me, although oddly I like Crazy Tonight. SOI didn't have much embarrassment on, but was mostly meh for me.

So my point is, we all come from different walks of life and different tastes that nobody else can predict.

My favourite U2 song has always been Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, a song that is largely ignored by the band. Frustrating.

They ignore Horses, and all of Pop. Which is a travesty.

Lucifer, Troubles, and Crystal are all amazing songs.

I'm exhausted after reading the last 10 pages.

My only thought after reading each post is, Elevation has some of the lamest U2 lyrics ever, and I love it anyway. Judging by the crowds in Chicago and Indy, so did the entire stadium. Just sayin, Ned.

Uh no, they did pretty well considering four of the five releases came out after the album...

The Fly #1
Mysterious Ways #13
One #7
Even Better Than the Real Thing #12 RMX #8
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses #14 (5th single from album)
+
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) #4
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me #2
Miss Sarajevo #6

The actual ZOO TV era (let's call it) including Passengers and Batman was pretty successful as regards singles and was more or less repeated with Pop which had four Top 10 hits in 1997.

But,

Beautiful Day #1
Stuck In A Moment #2
Elevation #3
Walk On #5
Electrical Storm #5
Vertigo #1
Sometimes #1
City Of Blinding Lights #2
All Because Of You #4
Window In The Skies #4

Also, from TUF to RAH,

Pride #3
The Unforgettable Fire #6
With Or Without You #4
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For #6
Where The Streets Have No Name #4
Desire #1
Angel Of Harlem #9
When Love Comes To Town #6
All I Want Is You #4

Every single one of these songs made the top 10. And most of these made the top 5. 3/5 of AB's singles didn't even make the top 10.

So I stand by my point that the AB singles did worst in the UK during U2's TUF-HTDAAB run. Sure, they still did fine. But the 5 AB singles have the lowest average chart position than all the other U2 albums between that time. But... on the flip side, the AB singles did better than most other U2 album singles in the US hot 100...

Last edited:
I actually think this song is the best of the new ones so far (barring a studio version of Little Things). It’s seamless and cohesive with pretty decent lyrics. It should be popular in an ideal world. :up:

But,

Beautiful Day #1
Stuck In A Moment #2
Elevation #3
Walk On #5
Electrical Storm #5
Vertigo #1
Sometimes #1
All Because Of You #4
Window In The Skies #4

Also, from TUF to RAH,

Pride #3
With Or Without You #4
Desire #1
Angel Of Harlem #9
All I Want Is You #4

Every single one of these songs made the top 10. And most of these made the top 5. 3/5 of AB's singles didn't even make the top 10.

So I stand by my point that the AB singles did worst in the UK during U2's TUF-HTDAAB run. Sure, they still did fine. But the 5 AB singles have the lowest average chart position than all the other U2 albums between that time. But... on the flip side, the AB singles did better than most other U2 album singles in the US hot 100...

But it was the 18th best selling album of 91 and it was out for six weeks. 31st best seller of 92.

ATYCLB was the 30th best seller if 00 and was out for two months. 23rd of 01.

This tune grabs me. I dig it.
Woke up w the chorus in my head this morning.

LadySpinHead and Kiwilad - re your exchange about those lyrics on the ‘big’ chorus: I’m solidly w you. I love how the cadence pumps with the rhythm. The lyrics pump me up (and I am not a real lyrics guy, usually). They’re great and as a newer dad, I think about how I’m gonna dust my kid off and send her back to fight her own battles. That’s what I get from this.

Sorry for your loss, LSH.

I don’t get the hate for the Kendrick part. I’m not remotely a hip hop guy, but he’s got a great voice, and that will sound great going into American Soul. Also, there’s a bit of a musical decay for a few seconds before it so you can hit stop if you want before it drops.

Def get the BD vibes, but it does get to its own place, and honestly I’d rather listen to this than BD today. Call it newness factor or whatever - probably is - but there’s nothing wrong w that.

Glad for the edge break, still kinda wish he wasn’t such a perfectionist even with his guitar parts, but his melodic sensibilities are so fucking great (he’s reliable). His SINGING has really been great lately.

I don’t really care for the whole “drum machine jumps to a real drum kit” schtick, but they do it well. Larry is solid, so is Adam.

I’d give it a 7. Could go either way over time. Bet it will be GREAT live.

There hasn't been a Fleetwood Mac pun in like 500 posts.

The fuck is wrong with you people? Ya know what, forget it. I don't want to know.

I keep singing GOOYOW in my head to the tune of the Fleetwood Mac song whenever I think about it. :crack:

I finally listened to GOOYOW in full on Spotify today. After one listen, my first impression is, and it pains me terribly to say it, but....
It sounds like a Coldplay song. That's after one listen, so it's only a first impression, but it sounds like a standard pop song. Maybe that's not a bad thing, but I'll have to listen to it more to get to know it better.

Also, the phrase "Get out of your own way" seems sort of clunky to be used in a song. It's like a big pile of words. But, again, I've only listened to it once, so maybe it'll grow on me.

Also, the phrase "Get out of your own way" seems sort of clunky to be used in a song. It's like a big pile of words. But, again, I've only listened to it once, so maybe it'll grow on me.

Where the streets have no name... where the streets have no name...

You've been tryin' to throw your arms around the world...

Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car... Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, alright.

I think they've had worse and did okay. Not quite as rapid-fire as the verses in Breathe anyway. :lol:

I feel frustrated because I know U2 are still capable. I think they've still got it. Which is different from the arguments of those who say they haven't got it anymore. But U2's decisions are what frustrate me.

I think this is why I still care as much as I do. I'm actually a big fan of 2000s-era U2 - none of it touches their 80s and 90s output, to me, but there's still enough there to consider this my favorite band.

They *definitely* still have it. First of all, I loved Songs of Innocence (with the exception of The Miracle and Cedarwood Road). ATYCLB was full of joy and uplift. Even HTDAAB and NLOTH have moments that make you go "holy shit, *this* is why I love this band." For me, those are songs like Original of the Species, SYCMIOYO, Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon.

For every song I'm let down by, like "The Miracle", there are one or two songs that blow me away, like both versions of Every Breaking Wave or Raised By Wolves.

I'm just concerned on this one because as much as I love The Little Things That Give You Away, there are songs like GOOYOW and American Soul that make me just go "eh." I'll reserve my judgment for when I hear the album, but I hope the rest of the tracks have a bit more weight behind them.

Bono's vocal delivery is cool and different. I especially like how he manages to deliver the line "The Face of liberty is about to crack, she had a plan until she got a smacked in the mouth and it all went south" he changes speed and style in his delivery and it works.

This bit and Edge's solo singing in TBT are both stellar moments!

My apologies for any negativity about the song. This is what I hate about dismissing songs...you never know what meaning it might have for someone else so it can be offensive.

The downside of rants and frustration (about new music that you just want to love but don't) I guess.

woke up this morning and had to listen straight away... whenever i hear a new song that i love, i have to listen on repeat for a while, so as to immerse myself in it :lol:

but jeesus it's perfect - the delivery of the lyrics, the melody, the way it travels, the contrasts, band is tight and together, and i love the spoken word at the end

going to be a loooong month

leak leak leak!!

I'm really liking this one.:up:

Hope the video is controversial to backup some of the lyrics.

I think this is the best of the 5 songs we've heard so far. It's an unoffensive pop song that's catchy as hell and a bit of fun . Nothing more, nothing less. I like it :up:

But,

Beautiful Day #1
Stuck In A Moment #2
Elevation #3
Walk On #5
Electrical Storm #5
Vertigo #1
Sometimes #1
All Because Of You #4
Window In The Skies #4

Also, from TUF to RAH,

Pride #3
With Or Without You #4
Desire #1
Angel Of Harlem #9
All I Want Is You #4

To be fair unlike the Vertigo/05 phase, tour aside, all five AB singles were not promoted beyond their music videos/radio play and such and such and considering four of the five were released after the album was released and also while the band was heavily invested in touring and not doing loads of TV spots and personal appearances, Top 15 is very decent. I never suggested they were comparable to the era prior and what was to come where U2 became more invested in SNL, web streams, Letterman, Late Show set ups etal as promotion, but you gave the impression they'd done poorly so I countered.

And the whole 1990-1998 era from AB to The Best Of, prior to ATYCLB = 10 Top 10 UK singles out of 15 released in an era where unlike 2000 onwards they did not do regular TV spots and showcases etc.

In short, aye, no bad...

My apologies for any negativity about the song. This is what I hate about dismissing songs...you never know what meaning it might have for someone else so it can be offensive.

The downside of rants and frustration (about new music that you just want to love but don't) I guess.

Thanks, but I’m ok with it- no worries. Songs have different meaning to different people- and that’s the beauty of it. Someone else hating it won’t take away from my loving it.
I can’t stand Cedars of Lebanon, but that song could be a savior to someone else. It’s all good.

I'm quite surprised by how much I enjoy this one. It isn't the sort of U2 I'm normally crazy about, but I think it just works really, really nice as a slightly dreamy, effortless pop song. It's not an all time classic or anything, but it's fun, light and isn't trying to be more than it is. Probably my second favourite of the tracks we've heard after The Blackout.

I think this is why I still care as much as I do. I'm actually a big fan of 2000s-era U2 - none of it touches their 80s and 90s output, to me, but there's still enough there to consider this my favorite band.

They *definitely* still have it. First of all, I loved Songs of Innocence (with the exception of The Miracle and Cedarwood Road). ATYCLB was full of joy and uplift. Even HTDAAB and NLOTH have moments that make you go "holy shit, *this* is why I love this band." For me, those are songs like Original of the Species, SYCMIOYO, Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon.

For every song I'm let down by, like "The Miracle", there are one or two songs that blow me away, like both versions of Every Breaking Wave or Raised By Wolves.

I'm just concerned on this one because as much as I love The Little Things That Give You Away, there are songs like GOOYOW and American Soul that make me just go "eh." I'll reserve my judgment for when I hear the album, but I hope the rest of the tracks have a bit more weight behind them.

I despised Cedarwood Road the first 50 times I heard it. Then I heard it live. Enough said.

I expect these songs will do well live. And I love GOOYOW. Great message for Bono's sons and mine.

Back
Top Bottom