Does this album feel unfinished to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Boots and Stand Up ruin an otherwise excellent album. Man, I wish they would have swapped those two donkeys for something else. When I get to that part of the album it's skip, skip for me. Actually, I'll force quite itunes, delete those tracks and empty trash, reboot. :p

To be honest I think for their next proper album they should take a leaf out of Radiohead and REM, and a after they get the songs in a robust state, do a small 8 or 12 date tour of small venues and road test the songs. Both REM and Radiohead have used the live recording as the backing tracks for some album songs. As we saw with the POP single mixes, playing the songs (well Please anyway) live allowed the band to a better grip on what they were trying to do.

That's funny. If you think they should take a leave out of Radiohead's books after you state that the album sounds overproduced- I say that's a bit of a oxymoron. I bloody hope they don't start producing the album like Radiohead's last effort. Did you hear the vocals?

Also, is it only me who hasn't even heard the new album yet? I havn't even listen to NLOTH 2 the track that was on the Boots CD single I got yesterday. You lot are like those naughty children who purposely search for where they're parents have hidden their presents. Meaning they have no surprise at Christmas morning. I always knew that Santa had them anyway. On March the 2nd you'll have nothing to look forward to, but I will. :wink:

if this album is unfinished than I dont ever want to hear a finished album
it might do me in completely

Some of the lyrics are forced, and at first felt uncomfortably so.
Yeah exactly that was how i felt.
Well okay apperantly you disagree with me, i guess the producing is finished then. But some parts felt like it was rushed. Not musically but lyrically and some parts seems a little "lazy".

Actually while I love the album, there is a POP like quality to some of the songs, in that the band or the production team made some choices which do not necessarily benefit the songs.

Breathe for instance is a good track which a bit over produced and some of the transitions are clunky. Eno eluded to this when he said the Edge will have listened to the song more than any U2 fan ever will.

Unknown Caller is a brilliant track, but it really needed a middle 8, you've got a 6 minute track where the vocal section last around 2.30. While I love the intro and outro, one of the two should have been shortened and a middle 8 put in before the last chorus. As it is, I'm not sure the long intro works well after MOS.

Stand Up Comedy is another song where it's been produced to a point where it's lost its teeth. The lyrics don't help.
Well i like the intro to Moment of Surrender, but i also think the outro to UC is too long.

That's funny. If you think they should take a leave out of Radiohead's books after you state that the album sounds overproduced- I say that's a bit of a oxymoron. I bloody hope they don't start producing the album like Radiohead's last effort. Did you hear the vocals?

Also, is it only me who hasn't even heard the new album yet? I havn't even listen to NLOTH 2 the track that was on the Boots CD single I got yesterday. You lot are like those naughty children who purposely search for where they're parents have hidden their presents. Meaning they have no surprise at Christmas morning. I always knew that Santa had them anyway. On March the 2nd you'll have nothing to look forward to, but I will. :wink:

I don't think the album is overproduced, but Stand Up Comedy and Breathe are. The rest of the issues I have are actually mostly with song structure. Unknown caller is long seemingly for the sake of being long, and I could understand it if it was the first track, or the first track of the second half of the initial concept.

Back
Top Bottom