Album Delay: The real reasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xmasfutureposter.jpg

:love:

Bonus points for using the Muppet movie...

Watch the real reason for the album delay be the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Bono Friday. :wink: Has anyone discussed this yet? I don't know if he's nominated this year though.

Watch the real reason for the album delay be the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Bono Friday. :wink: Has anyone discussed this yet? I don't know if he's nominated this year though.

He probably is nominated, since you can now place a wager on it in Vegas :wink: Too bad they don't release who the nominees are before the award is decided, anyone know why they try to keep it secret?

They do release the list, and I don’t think he made it this year, but maybe he was nominated later or whatever. Who knows? I know one of the winners so far (medicine or science, I think) won for AIDS and cancer research. I just thought if AIDS was already part of the prize panel’s focus, maybe he could get it. That, and the album’s delay, made me do one of these: :shifty:

They do release the list, and I don’t think he made it this year, but maybe he was nominated later or whatever. Who knows? I know one of the winners so far (medicine or science, I think) won for AIDS and cancer research. I just thought if AIDS was already part of the prize panel’s focus, maybe he could get it. That, and the album’s delay, made me do one of these: :shifty:

:ohmy: Really? I have always heard that the list is never released, only the winners announced, and the reason we usually end up finding out who was on the list is just from people "leaking" it.

It appears as if you're right. I did some searching and the nominees list is supposed to be top secret. I just remember reading the nominee lists every year so I thought they were official.

So, maybe he will get it! :wink:

Think about it. If he does get it, it'll be the biggest promotion for the new album. He’ll be all over the news because 1. He’s the winner and 2. He’s a rock star who one it and he obviously has star quality (it could be similar, maybe even bigger, than when Gore won in terms of people freaking out). And all the stories will include the phrase "U2's next album will be released . . . "

Also, he said he wants 2009 to be U2’s year. What does that mean? It could still be their year if it released in November as originally planned. Also again, it was a relatively short time after U2.com posted the postponing of the album and Lanois said he was going to start mixing. I know U2.com is slow with releases, but we all know U2 can take a while to write songs because of their organic process. Hitting a “rich” songwriting vein after you have 50-plus songs sounds a bit fishy to me anyway. :wink:

Well he has been nominated the last 3 years I believe, but even he says he doesn't think a rock star will ever win it. :hmm:

it's just me, but i don't think bono will win the nobel peace prize this year or next year or whatever. maybe when he's 70 or something, but it just seems very unlikely.

Bono has been nominated for a couple of years now, but actually that doesn't mean anything because there are thousands of people nominated each year, you can basically nominate anyone who has some support. BUT I also believe Bono won't (and shouldn't) receive the prize. He doesn't need it anyway to do his political work, and there are many others out there who, frankly. deserve it much more, they just aren't in the media so much. Bono himself has said so several times. I think there would be A LOT of controversy if he won it and the pressure on him would be even higher, not sure I would like to see that. He's still a rock star and singer in a band, how would that look if a band has a Nobel Prize laureate as their singer? :wink:

Bono has been nominated for a couple of years now, but actually that doesn't mean anything because there are thousands of people nominated each year, you can basically nominate anyone who has some support. BUT I also believe Bono won't (and shouldn't) receive the prize. He doesn't need it anyway to do his political work, and there are many others out there who, frankly. deserve it much more, they just aren't in the media so much. Bono himself has said so several times. I think there would be A LOT of controversy if he won it and the pressure on him would be even higher, not sure I would like to see that. He's still a rock star and singer in a band, how would that look if a band has a Nobel Prize laureate as their singer? :wink:

:up: Excellent post, my opinion is pretty much the same as yours. He shouldn't be awarded the Peace Prize just yet in my opinion. There's still time for him to get it later on.

I see where some of you are coming from, but I think a win is closer than we think. If not this year, then soon after that. Think about it — what did Al Gore do? He made a documentary. He spoke and raised awareness of a big issue that needs attention. Bono has done way more than Gore did. I’ll admit, he didn’t have the sudden sea change in opinion on the issue, but he’s done more to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa than Gore has done for climate change. I don’t see him getting the prize as unrealistic.

I'd like to see others, less in-the-spotlight people win the Nobel prize, not a rock star/celebrity, regardless of how much he has done.

"Chinese Democracy" is coming out this year.(go check bestbuy.com)
u2 can't compete with that album.
so 2009 it is!
i know what album i will be buying. :drool:

I've heard some songs off of Chinese Democracy....bad...real bad. I actually wished they had released it in the 90's so that by now I could have totally forgotten about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom