After a year...what do you think about NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you feel about the placement of the songs?

I don't know how the tracklisting would've flowed if they replaced CT, GOYB, SUC and Breathe (my least faves and songs that sound out of place) with 4 better more atmospheric songs that would've suited the overall sound of this album. But if they had done that (gotten rid of the 4 songs that sound like BOMB outtakes), i'm sure they could have successfully shifted the remaining songs (with added better ones) around until they fell into an order that was cohesive and made sense.

I'm not sure if I answered your question.

Yeah exactly. That's why the song ranking thing can produce weird results. It's not the way I think of or enjoy albums.

It's definitely a fun way to measure the way you feel about an album. It probably does skew some results. If I really like every song on, let's say, The Joshua Tree and give most songs a "10" with the exception of one song that I barely regard (this is purely hypothetical), would that result in it reporting a higher fondness over perhaps Achtung Baby if I consistently rated all the songs on it "9s"?

I don't know how the tracklisting would've flowed if they replaced CT, GOYB, SUC and Breathe (my least faves and songs that sound out of place) with 4 better more atmospheric songs that would've suited the overall sound of this album. But if they had done that (gotten rid of the 4 songs that sound like BOMB outtakes), i'm sure they could have successfully shifted the remaining songs (with added better ones) around until they fell into an order that was cohesive and made sense.

I'm not sure if I answered your question.

I get what you are saying. You would have a better understanding of the flow of the tracks had they included 4 different tracks to replace the ones you are unsatisfied with. The only confusion I have is that you list one song as "CT"...could you please clarify?

Crazy Tonight
LOL.. :applaud:

U2.com > Sign In

How did the live version of I'll Go Crazy evolve?
Dec: When we got to Barcelona, the band were talking about a section of the show which could kind of reference dance music - and there was talk of a few things. They all really liked the Redanka remix. So we ended up doing a mash-up between that and the Dirty South remix. The band then performed this live with a completely new arrangement.

I have not taken the quiz, but I am not in the least bit surprised that R&H is making some people pinch themselves and check their opinions. I often overlook the album or lump it in the middle owing to the same criticisms we have all heard here, but when I put it in, live and studio, there is not much I find wrong with it!

I guess it is just another testament to how U2 do not put out bad records!

NLOTH is still an outstanding album to me...really love it...still top 3 for me and at times it is my favourite...just want to hear more of it live...I really hope I get to here Fez live and even SUC (which btw is a great song!! I wasn't keen on it to begin with...)

I don't agree with some posters on the CT, GOYB, SUC "out of place" thing...it's right to change the direction and tempo of the album at that point.

I've had my perfect fill of the more atmospheric beginning by then...it then hits a bit of pop...then gets a bit brasher then I love the lyrics and feel of SUC...then the album ploughs off in another direction beginning with Fez.

It truly is an outstanding album and history will be kind on it I think.

gives me a headache. IT's at #7

I find myself putting the album on and then pressing the stop button about halfway, there's something about the production/mixes that makes my head hurt. The only song that I find is perfectly produced/mixed is Cedars of Lebanon.
In terms of aural pleasure I'm getting much more out of artificial horizon than no line on the horizon.
When the tracks are rearranged in a different order (for example moving MOS to the end and magnificent as opener, GOYB at #2) it works a bit better for me. Still, it's one of the least listened to U2 albums in my collection.

1) AB
2) JT
3) POP
4) under a blood red sky (I didn't own any of the first 3 albums until recently so this was my source of songs from that era).
5) ATYCLB
6) zooropa
7) NLOTH
8) HTDAAB
9) rattle and hum
10) UF (did not own this one until recently)
11) Boy (only bought this one when it was remastered)

Been away awhile glad to be back. ;)
I still love NOLTH. I'm still not "tired" of it and still find magic and mystery while listening to it. It has all the right elements that I love about U2. Of course I'd prefer more textured ambient experimental stuff but that's just me. Maybe that's what Songs Of Ascent will be. If it comes out as planned.
My faves in no order now are:
UF
Pop
Zooroopa
NLOTH
War

Keep in mind I enjoy all U2 albums on some level but these are my personal favorites. And yes I know that JT and AB are in most people's eyes, perfect and/or better albums them some of my choices but for various reasons, these are the ones I go to the most.

I have not taken the quiz, but I am not in the least bit surprised that R&H is making some people pinch themselves and check their opinions.

Yup. I think, if Rattle & Hum lost all its live cuts (though I rather like "Helker Skelter" off the top) and was given a smoother aural bath in the Lanois-style, it would be as good as The Joshua Tree.

For me, No Line On The Horizon is U2's Steel Wheels. An overly labored record of commercial/artist compromises which ended up being less an artistic creation and more an advertisement for a massively indulgent tour on such a overblown and corporate level that it nearly kills off memories of the young band who stopped the concert in mid-performance if there was an advertisement hung in the building.

Still some good tracks on it, but it's largely forgettable.

After a year NLOTH is one of my favourite albums ever, it's a wonderful album and I'm still in love with it. I don't get why the hate to the central songs, an album needs some dynamics and changes inside, if not it will be monotonous and boring.

Yup. I think, if Rattle & Hum lost all its live cuts (though I rather like "Helker Skelter" off the top) and was given a smoother aural bath in the Lanois-style, it would be as good as The Joshua Tree.

For me, No Line On The Horizon is U2's Steel Wheels. An overly labored record of commercial/artist compromises which ended up being less an artistic creation and more an advertisement for a massively indulgent tour on such a overblown and corporate level that it nearly kills off memories of the young band who stopped the concert in mid-performance if there was an advertisement hung in the building.

Still some good tracks on it, but it's largely forgettable.

Eh, not even Lanois/Eno could save Rattle and Hum. I wish U2 had stopped that movie and just released the album...I still think most of the critisism stems from the movie, rather than album. (ie much like Popmart's initial shows hurt Pop IMO)

I think NLOTH regains the acclaim and "street cred" U2 (may have) lost (for some) with the previous 00's output. It's the best record and album they made in years. Although I agree the album is, sadly, overshadowed by the massive tour (although that is the case for every U2 album after AB...).

I wish U2 had stopped that movie and just released the album...I still think most of the critisism stems from the movie, rather than album. (ie much like Popmart's initial shows hurt Pop IMO)

Yeah, there's no doubt about that (there was also a very pretentious book that went along with it -- it's hilarious, if you ever get a chance to read it). But we part opinions on the R&H material. In my opinion, each and every song they cut for that LP is friggin' awesome (and yes, I love "Love Rescue Me").

I think NLOTH regains the acclaim and "street cred" U2 (may have) lost (for some) with the previous 00's output... Although I agree the album is, sadly, overshadowed by the massive tour (although that is the case for every U2 album after AB...).

Heh. Well, I don't think they ever had any "street-cred". They were hated by millions of rock snobs back in, like, 1987. You're right about the tour overshadowing everything, though. I think that's why I get the whiff of Dinosaur-ism from them, sometimes. But it's not really their fault -- it's a lot to do with the times we live in (ie., few people invest money in recordings, so few people get excited about CDs in general).

I think I'm just bored of U2 at this point. They're very much into the career-ist arc now, which is understandable at their age and with the size of their entourage. I can understand why they're so careful when there's that much at stake. But, you know, sometimes I think I would find them more interesting if they did a Bob Dylan and disappeared into domestic life for years, or did a Led Zeppelin and drove cars into Hotel swimming pools, or did an R.E.M. and didn't tour after a big album.

It's kind of like: U2 will release an album.... promote it heavily... talk about how much they want radio-hits... play a huge, enormo-tour to middle-class Starbucks drinking fans... win some Grammies... etc. We kind of know the script before it happens. I sort of miss the element of unpredictability and danger rock music used to entail.

Frankly, the most exciting thing that happened to them in the past 5 years was Bono throwing his back out.

And I disagree. I didn't say there was anything good about Bono's being injured. Only an idiot would say that. I said, half-jokingly, that this kind of news was more exciting than the band's current career arc.

Since you missed it, I wasn't criticitizing U2 specifically -- I was making an observation about the entirety of the contemporary rock/pop-music culture of which U2 is an eager member of. My observation applies to a lot of groups, besides U2. My post had nothing to do with Bono's back.

And finally, where did I say that I "hate" the album? That is much too strong. I like the album, but I find it relatively weak (held against their high standards), and, when taken in consideration of the band's formulaic career moves at this point, I find the whole U2 enterprise somewhat uninteresting.

Don't worry, though. Since I find them uninteresting, I'm bound to post here less and less. And thus Bono won't have to suffer the psychological anguish you seem to think he's going through from reading my posts.

And I disagree. I didn't say there was anything good about Bono's being injured. Only an idiot would say that. I said, half-jokingly, that this kind of news was more exciting than the band's current career arc.

Since you missed it, I wasn't criticitizing U2 specifically -- I was making an observation about the entirety of the contemporary rock/pop-music culture of which U2 is an eager member of. My observation applies to a lot of groups, besides U2. My post had nothing to do with Bono's back.

And finally, where did I say that I "hate" the album? That is much too strong. I like the album, but I find it relatively weak (held against their high standards), and, when taken in consideration of the band's formulaic career moves at this point, I find the whole U2 enterprise somewhat uninteresting.

Don't worry, though. Since I find them uninteresting, I'm bound to post here less and less. And thus Bono won't have to suffer the psychological anguish you seem to think he's going through from reading my posts.

Why do you always think I don't understand your posts? I do, I read them completely and I still think you should control the things you write, not everything is Ok to be said, not even if the person/people you are talking about will not read your post, I'm not worried about Bono's suffering any kind of anguish because of you and I'm far from suffering it myself, but that doesn't mean that you haven't been rude, because you have.

I'm not going to discuss what you said about the album or about U2's carreer, everyone can express their opinion and at the moment I'm not really that interested in yours.

the way i look at it now and with every album over a year after its release is......

now that i have and know the album, could i live without it? the answer has always been "no" with every U2 release. honestly, i've played the ranking game too much, i don't know where NLOTH falls and don't really care any more. i like the album a lot, and MOS, NLOTH, UC, and Fez-BB are among my favorite U2 songs.

I listened to the album yesterday and I have decided that I like it more than when it was first released. I do skip more tracks then on some other albums. I can't quite put my finger on why..the middle third perhaps? I still like a few moments alot. IMO, Fez and Cedars are the best cuts. Breathe and Mag are on the next tier. The rest don't really do much for me.

The responses to NLOTH 1.25 years after release are very different around here as compared to HTDAAB and ATYCLB. While the positive impressions of HTDAAB were more extreme at the time of the leak than those of NLOTH, there's no doubt that hardcore fans, taken as a whole, appreciate this album more. Much more. I guess when you consider all the Pop love around here, maybe it's not that surprising that hardcore fans seem to appreciate more precisely that which casual fans seem all too ready to dismiss. It's interesting.

I guess when you consider all the Pop love around here, maybe it's not that surprising that hardcore fans seem to appreciate more precisely that which casual fans seem all too ready to dismiss. It's interesting.

good observation :up:

The responses to NLOTH 1.25 years after release are very different around here as compared to HTDAAB and ATYCLB. While the positive impressions of HTDAAB were more extreme at the time of the leak than those of NLOTH, there's no doubt that hardcore fans, taken as a whole, appreciate this album more. Much more. I guess when you consider all the Pop love around here, maybe it's not that surprising that hardcore fans seem to appreciate more precisely that which casual fans seem all too ready to dismiss. It's interesting.

I know what you mean, but I doubt we can make this broad of a statement about a group with as large an appeal as U2. The "around here" in your post seems to suggest you equate "hardcore fan" with "Interference regulars", but I would cast suspicion on this point. While the people on here are indeed harcore fans, I don't think they (we?) represent the normal big U2 fan. Well, we might, but I don't think it should be assumed so.

the way i look at it now and with every album over a year after its release is......

now that i have and know the album, could i live without it? the answer has always been "no" with every U2 release. honestly, i've played the ranking game too much, i don't know where NLOTH falls and don't really care any more. i like the album a lot, and MOS, NLOTH, UC, and Fez-BB are among my favorite U2 songs.

great post! :up:

Back
Top Bottom