the saints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
what do you think the lyrics mean? as sung by u2 and green day, and when applied to katrina. Do you think "no matter how hard i try i know thiers no reply" means, someone praying to god and relizing he;s not gonna do anything? yet the song itself is like anthem for the "saints" to come. in this case, is that a.the air force planes coming from iraq to save thier own people, or b. god and his servants are coming in some spiritual way to help people. ?

it's straight forward in my opinion.
No matter how hard they try, they realise theres no reply.

Its a direct stab at the inability of the American government to get aide to those directly affected from Katrina in the immediate aftermath. "I" being anybody in that area at the time when they realised that their not getting enough help.
And as the video says NOT AS SEEN ON TV. ie what should of happened but didnt.
but i suppose songs are open to interpretation, and remember this is a classic scottish Punk song not U2's and Green days.

Last edited:
I also think "saints" is a bit mocking in its use, refering to rescues that never came, cops who shot first and asked questions later....

ClaytonMan said:
it's straight forward in my opinion.
No matter how hard they try, they realise theres no reply.

Its a direct stab at the inability of the American government to get aide to those directly affected from Katrina in the immediate aftermath. "I" being anybody in that area at the time when they realised that their not getting enough help.
And as the video says NOT AS SEEN ON TV. ie what should of happened but didnt.

Actually you summed it up quite nicely. Outside of the Iraq war this was the most grevious act of incompetence and lack of compassion - not to mention pure fear that we are not, in general, worthy.
What wasn't done in Louisanna and Mississippi is shame personified. May it never happen again.

i get it. reading it that way, also makes me feel the song more. althrough one could use the "no matter how i try.." as qustioning god and why he would allow this this to happen. yet, somehow, it can also be hopeful . like SBS.

Maybe I'm way wrong here, but I don't see the song as having been sung to make a political statement. I think it's more of a religious statement. You know, a "How much longer can the suffering go on?" kind of thing.

I just wish it would stop playing on the radio all the time. I'm getting sick of it.

I love the song, although I agree that too much radio airplay could turn me off it. Luckily the main radio station I listen to doesn't play U2. :)

I have to admit, the first time I heard Saints, my brain put a more literal cast to the lyrics... "Crying to my daddy on the telephone, how long now.... I say no matter how I try, I realise there's no reply"
It just made me think of Bono's father's death. :(

But yes, I'm sure the broader interpretation is what they were aiming for, especially since it's a cover. Does anyone know what meaning the original artist (The Skids) had for the song?

I can totally see why they would pick this song and dedicating it to Katrina releif, considering allt he lyrics about weather changes and coming home. And even though the *political stab* might not be as obvious in the album version, it is more than obvious (to me) in the live version from NO. I got goosebumps hearing Bono sing "....child on the rooftop, mother on her knees. Her sign reads: PLEASE! I AM AN AMERICAN!!"

Back
Top Bottom