ASOH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I heard more than once, I forget the source, that A Sort of Homecoming was about an Irish soldier who died in WW1 and his ghost retuned home to see his family. Actually it wasn't just a ghost, he was supposed to have been seen standing at a lake on the family estate, but when they went to him he vanished. They found out later he had died that very day. It makes sense, since that would be a A SORT of Homecoming. I saw a special on this legend on the history channel once, so there is a story like that. Has anybody heard this story or a different one? If it is true, it's one of the coolest things they've ever done.

Last edited:
Ooh, I think I saw the same thing on the History Channel. It was a really interesting story... haunting, but cool. I think it would be kinda cool if that's what the song's about, but I've never heard that before. :shrug:

The title is taken from a poem by Paul Celan, a writer whom Bono greatly admired. Celan wrote, "Poetry is a sort of homecoming".
Personally, I've always felt this song was about death, but I don't think it was ever meant in the literal sense you suggest, as being based on an actual, or even legendary event surrounding the death of a First World War soldier. I've never seen any mention of this anywhere, and sadly I have the kind of trivial mind that remembers stuff like that. If you can find the source for your memory, I'd be fascinated to read it.
By the way, I love that song; it's definitely in my U2 top 10.

I've never heard of anything like that, but it is an interesting slant on a thought-provoking song. I liked your comment about it being a SORT of homecoming, U2Kitten; I'd never thought about it as being about death. I also think it's a great song, the best one on UF.

I didn't know that story. *creepy* Although I always connected the song with death, is one of my favourites.

Actually it wasn't just a ghost, he was supposed to have been seen standing at a lake on the family estate, but when they went to him he vanished.

it is very interesting becouse paul celan who inspired this song died by his own hand: he drowned himself in Seine on May 1st 1970.his poetry was marked by his terrible experiences he gained during II world war and there is a certain mood in lyrics for that song that refers to his poems.

Back
Top Bottom