Bono's Slane Castle Leather Jacket (Replica)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
silver

u2elevationjetwing2.jpg

u2elevationjetwing3.jpg

bonoelevationsilverjacketsleeve.jpg

bonoedgeElevationsmiles.jpg

1 more gold

bonogoldelevationjacketmic.png

Yeah, they are staples.. and instead of "leather lashings" as detail on the sleeves and etc. it appears to be leather "cord" weaved on the jacket.. a very cool design as well.. im telling you, this dude "Bono" has some awesome jackets! lol :)

Yeah, they are staples.. and instead of "leather lashings" as detail on the sleeves and etc. it appears to be leather "cord" weaved on the jacket.. a very cool design as well.. im telling you, this dude "Bono" has some awesome jackets! lol :)

He definitely does! That is really cool about the staples. Now you're making me want one of these jackets. :wink:

haha i'll probably wind up with one of every color and style... for real.. haha

I know your problem , once you got the templates right, the hard work is over and you'll end up making them all.
I must agree that the silver one is the coolest, I also still like the red one very much,
its hard to find something for the braided strip allong the stitches.

Yeah.. i like that Silver one too.. i mean, if one wanted too one could go to a thrift store and find a cool/decent looking leather jacket that fits good then go get a hole punch for leather or material at a fabric store and punch small holes in the jacket along the seams (holes on both sides of the seams) and then get some leather cord or buy some long leather stripes of any color and then simply braid the leather across the seams as you would if you were threading a shoelace onto your shoe and make a very cool looking "Bono style" jacket.. and wouldn't have much money invested at all... I might do that myself just to see how it turns out... i think i might actually cut a jacket in half at the seams and then try to braid leather back over the seams to hold the jacket together and then get some big staples and a staple gun and add those as wanted on the jacket.. i bet it would be pretty cool looking!! :hmm:

I bet it would be! If I was a bit more creative like that I'd try it too, but I'm afraid I'd just ruin a jacket! If you have any luck with that, please let us know. :hmm:

Will do! But honestly, i don't think you could really "ruin" the jacket... look at Bono's jackets... they honestly look very worn and rough.. and they look as if he "just found a bunch of random material and things to use for accents around the house and just started adding stuff randomly" . I mean, "Staples" for example.... a VERY cool look yet its such a simple idea...

Very true. :) I think that's why the silver is my fave. It's the roughest looking of the lot. And totally :drool:

Would you like any more pics of the others such as the green? I could always add a few more.

Bono's jacket choice is usually way good! I would really enjoy a day in his jacket closet :giggle:
The stitching in the silver jacket along the seems looks like its just a simple cross stitch, which is done a bit messy, to give it a more punk-rock / worn look.
using a hole puncher is a very good idea, its a bit more work , but saves your needlework allot of time.

Does it have any D-rings on this one ?

No D-rings on the one with silver accents (Pictured above on the cover of the magazine). That jacket appears to be the easiest of all his jackets to replicate if one wanted too.. key word.. "Appears".. About the jackets looking "Worn", the jacket IS created with that look "to a certain extent".. but remember, Bono and the guys are walking on that cat-walk all night... (heart shape stage from Elevation tour OR even the new 360 stage) and there is a LOT of dirt coming off the souls of their shoes and grit and grim and there is also alot of dust and dirt floating around any venue at pretty much all times.. now, with that being said, look how much Bono likes to lay down on the cat-walk or stage.. and how much he loves to crawl around and roll around on the stage... he does that every single night for 2 hrs or every other night and the jackets hardly ever (if ever) get washed... its as if keeping them dirty (as they get dirty) is like a good luck charm for him or something lol Take a look at the gold accent jacket (the one he wore the most during the elevation tour and he wore it in the elevation music video), notice during the Boston show the jacket is quite "clean" or at least the gold shows up better... then go watch the video's on you tube called "U2 does much" and look how dirty that jacket is... i like the "Worn" look alot!! My red jacket (pictured on page 1 of this thread) is brand new and so ive been wearing it ALOT just to get it worn in naturally.. i play with my dogs roll around on the floor, change the oil in my truck wearing it haha.. just to get the REAL worn look.. its very light weight as its made that way on purpose.. more for "style" than "Function" (stay warm)... so its very easy to wear inside a pub all night or whatever and not get hot... (built the same way Bono's are cause he has to try hard to stay cool and look "cool" during his performances)

oh, and ive got a few pics of the "Green" one.. but i'll have to upload them later when i get a chance...

Ok, and i just noticed that the jacket pictured above (on the cover of the magazine) isn't leather at all... its cotton.. so is the red star... you have to zoom in alot but once you do you can see that its not leather.. its got a clear coating on it that gives it a shine however so... :hmm:

Ok, and i just noticed that the jacket pictured above (on the cover of the magazine) isn't leather at all... its cotton.. so is the red star... you have to zoom in alot but once you do you can see that its not leather.. its got a clear coating on it that gives it a shine however so... :hmm:

Really? How can you tell? It still looks leather to me. :hmm: (not the star, that I know you can see the fraying on the edges)

No D-rings on the one with silver accents (Pictured above on the cover of the magazine). That jacket appears to be the easiest of all his jackets to replicate if one wanted too.. key word.. "Appears".. About the jackets looking "Worn", the jacket IS created with that look "to a certain extent".. but remember, Bono and the guys are walking on that cat-walk all night... (heart shape stage from Elevation tour OR even the new 360 stage) and there is a LOT of dirt coming off the souls of their shoes and grit and grim and there is also alot of dust and dirt floating around any venue at pretty much all times.. now, with that being said, look how much Bono likes to lay down on the cat-walk or stage.. and how much he loves to crawl around and roll around on the stage... he does that every single night for 2 hrs or every other night and the jackets hardly ever (if ever) get washed... its as if keeping them dirty (as they get dirty) is like a good luck charm for him or something lol Take a look at the gold accent jacket (the one he wore the most during the elevation tour and he wore it in the elevation music video), notice during the Boston show the jacket is quite "clean" or at least the gold shows up better... then go watch the video's on you tube called "U2 does much" and look how dirty that jacket is... i like the "Worn" look alot!! My red jacket (pictured on page 1 of this thread) is brand new and so ive been wearing it ALOT just to get it worn in naturally.. i play with my dogs roll around on the floor, change the oil in my truck wearing it haha.. just to get the REAL worn look.. its very light weight as its made that way on purpose.. more for "style" than "Function" (stay warm)... so its very easy to wear inside a pub all night or whatever and not get hot... (built the same way Bono's are cause he has to try hard to stay cool and look "cool" during his performances)

U2 Does Much happened after the Toronto concerts in May, and Boston dvd was June, so maybe he has more than one identical jacket- a media/interviews one, and a performance one?

Mmm nah I don't think so. I think he wore the same jacket in....Calgary? Or a few other early shows, and it was clearly leather or some sort of animal skin anyways lol

Yeah looking at the way the collar is cut especially. Really looks like leather to me.

(Remember that magazine pic is just a scan, and my scanner pics up the actual texture of the magazine's paper which you can see in some spots.)

don't know.. i mean, i have a jacket that is made of the same material that im thinking this one is made of that looks exactly like leather but isn't leather at all... i could be wrong however.... as you said, its hard to tell in the magazine...one thing i did notice however is that the arm seams as well as back seam and down the sides are actually leather cord WITH safety pins all over... im actually in the process of modding that jacket i was talking about that looks like leather but isn't.. i started this evening (the 8th) and so i will post some pics soon... im just taking random ideas from Bono's jacket and seeing what i can do for the least money. Looking pretty darn cool so far though!!

Thing is, the one from the magazine cover is the exact same one he's wearing in those live shots in previous posts (marked as "silver"). Don't forget, magazine covers get heavy touchups and editing. His skin and glasses don't look like that in real life, either! lmao

geeze... now, i don't know if that IS safety pins on the seams... (looked like it).... I recently looked up that jacket that was auctioned (i think its the same one) a while back and it said in the description "Has silver paint on the seams".. hmm....

Hell , anyone could even use metal wire with leather wire and make it look awesome.
Would fit with the staples.

geeze... now, i don't know if that IS safety pins on the seams... (looked like it).... I recently looked up that jacket that was auctioned (i think its the same one) a while back and it said in the description "Has silver paint on the seams".. hmm....

His actual worn jacket was auctioned? wow, do you have a link to it?

yep.. here ya go...

Full Leather Jacket � U2LOG.COM - U2 news – horizontally yours since July 2000

Say's there is a label inside that reads "odd Lynn".... the name is actually "TODD LYNN"... he's a fashion designer .. very well known and also caters to numerous stars such as Bono, Snoop Dog... lots of others... I contacted Mr. Lynn about making me a jacket exactly like he made Bono... price? $7,000.00 (us currency).... thanks but no thanks lol i'll make my own... haha

which one? the one with the gold on it? Message me your email and i can send you better pics to that.

Back
Top Bottom