Videos of U2 recording in studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Could you guys post links and videos of the band recording in studio? I saw the video of Larry drumming in studio and wanted to see more.

Can be from any era, I don't really care. I just want to see more into the band actually making and recording the music in the studio.

Anyone up to helping me out?

Could you guys post links and videos of the band recording in studio? I saw the video of Larry drumming in studio and wanted to see more.

Can be from any era, I don't really care. I just want to see more into the band actually making and recording the music in the studio.

Anyone up to helping me out?

1. Larry Drumming - (27 april 2008) - Get On Your Boots
  2. Green Tea - (31 may 2008) - Get On Your Boots
  3. Edge Back - (8 june 2008) - Unplugged jam (unreleased), Magnificent, For Your Love (--> Stand Up Comedy), Delay riff (unreleased?)
  4. Adam Bass - (16 june 2008) - Unreleased intro (Sexy Boots?), Get On Your Boots riff (unplugged).
  5. The Couch - (20 june 2008) - Discussing lyrics, no music.
  6. Larry In Studio - (28 june 2008) - Unreleased track ("Mariachi"?)
  7. Eno's Keys - (4 july 2008) - Probably Eno working on Breathe (Crashing cymbals) while Lanois plays an bare version of his song Agave.
  8. Adam Fans - (12 july 2008) - Breathe
  9. Larry Drums - (18 july 2008) - Possibly No Line On The Horizon (?)
  10. Motorcycle - (1 august 2008) - "Glockenspiel" (Unreleased)
  11. Larry Stuff - (9 august 2008) - For Your Love (--> Stand Up Comedy)
  12. Nice Drive - (27 august 2008) - My Mistakes Were Made for You by The Last Shadow Puppets and All Over Town (intro only) by The Kooks.
  13. Eno's Gels - (19 september 2008) - Possibly quick snippet of Get On Your Boots, later with Bono/Lanois discussing Winter (Linear Version).
  14. Edge Funk - (6 october 2008) - Unreleased bluesy jam by The Edge.
  15. Dallas - (13 october 2008) - Extended middle-eight section rehearsal from Winter (Linear Version)
  16. Edge Red Drums - (24 october 2008) - Edge interviews Larry, no music.
  17. Edge Put It Down - (2 november 2008) - Magnificent
  18. Sea and Sky - (17 november 2008) - Larry shows us the "No Line On The Horizon"-moment in Dublin. No music.
  19. Toilet Break - (22 november 2008) - Breathe, with Edge using an Ebow, unreleased version.
  20. Till Your Well Runs Dry - (8 december 2008) - Acapella singing round the dinner table.
  21. Father Brian Eno Drums - (15 december 2008) - Magnificent
  22. Gavin Board - (12 january 2009) - Discussion about songs on Eno's whiteboard, no music.
  23. No Line On The Horizon - Fez - (10 february 2009) - Same as The Guardian video I.
  24. The Buzzard - (13 february 2009) - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
  25. Three Cities - (15 february 2009) - Same as The Guardian video II.
  26. Here are complete transcripts for the videos above that I put together a while ago: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-the-horizon-complete-transcripts-199293.html

iTunes Bonus or something like that: evolution of Unknown Caller and French Disco (-->Magnificent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ns45lVwjfQ

I've put together a video of U2 working on Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of and Walk On. I edited out those excerpts from a CBS 60 Minutes interview conducted back in 2001 that I think bonocomet sent me a while ago.

Is there anywhere I could upload it for people to see without risking to be banned (i.e. without using my regular YouTube account) and not register?

Supposedly, there's another part of this interview where Bono demonstrates an early version of Original Of The Species, but it's not in the material I had.

Here's roughly what I included in the version I stitched together:

BONO: It's all changed since-- since-- since-- since I was here.

(Footage of Bono and Mabrey)

MABREY: (Voiceover) He met his future wife and the other members of U2 in high school.

-- Not in my version --

MABREY: (Voiceover) They recorded their first albums in a studio in a rundown part of town.
BONO: Messages from Argentina, from Australia.

(Footage of graffiti to U2 on walls; Bono and Mabrey)

MABREY: (Voiceover) It's become a mecca for U2 fans. What do you listen to in your car?

(Footage of Bono singing for Mabrey)

MABREY: (Voiceover) It's a work in progress, a song he wrote for his two daughters.
BONO: It's a beautiful song about-- I just-- I guess by-- just about being yourself, which is the hardest thing to do.

(Footage of U2 in studio)

MABREY: (Voiceover) We caught up with U2 as they were recording the tune "Stuck in a Moment." Now it's nominated for song of the year.
-- /Not in my version --

BONO: Normally, we don't let people into the studio, and after a few hours, you'll-- you'll know why.
MABREY: (Voiceover) Bono arrived with his laptop full of lyrics...

(Footage of Bono in studio looking at laptop screen)

BONO:
"Out of me, out of you; out of reach of rescue."
MABREY: (Voiceover) Enough for 100 songs, but only 11 made the cut. Now let me see that again.
BONO: Fastest one finger in the West. This has been great for me because I can't read my own handwriting.

(Footage of Bono and Mabrey)

MABREY: (Voiceover) Bono, the band, and the producer try to cut and paste a hit.
Unidentified Man #1 (It's Daniel Lanois, you punks!:grumpy:): In a minute, we'll be scratching it out on this big piece of paper for Bono to stand up and sing.

(Footage of Bono and U2 singing in studio)

MABREY:
(Voiceover) They may be Bono's lyrics, but in the studio, it's a democratic process. Everyone's opinion is equal. Drummer Larry Mullen.
LARRY MULLEN: Whenever we sang it, it-- it-- it didn't sound like it made sense.
BONO: All right. Let me try that again then. OK, go-- go-- well, do-- do them all from the top.

(Footage of U2 singing in studio; aerial footage of stadium)

-- CUT --

MABREY: (Voiceover) But he devoted so much time and effort to debt relief that there was hardly time for the music. The last album was two years in the making. Bono goes off. He has his crusades. Does it interfere with the band or does it bring something fresh to you every time?
MULLEN: Yes, it does interfere with the band. I-- I mean, if he's not around and part of the-- the-- it's-- it's like it's a four-legged table. And, you know, with one leg missing, even for short periods of time, you know, the thing becomes a little unstable.

MABREY: (Voiceover) But it must bring so much back to the music as well. Because you're not a pop band.
MULLEN: (Voiceover) No.
MABREY: You're not singing, "Ooh, baby, baby."
MULLEN: Sometimes I wish.

Source (transcript only!): http://www.atu2.com/news/interview-with-bono.html

Holy crap, thanks a bunch Edge 89! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!

1. Larry Drumming - (27 april 2008) - Get On Your Boots
  2. Green Tea - (31 may 2008) - Get On Your Boots
  3. Edge Back - (8 june 2008) - Unplugged jam (unreleased), Magnificent, For Your Love (--> Stand Up Comedy), Delay riff (unreleased?)
  4. Adam Bass - (16 june 2008) - Unreleased intro (Sexy Boots?), Get On Your Boots riff (unplugged).
  5. The Couch - (20 june 2008) - Discussing lyrics, no music.
  6. Larry In Studio - (28 june 2008) - Unreleased track ("Mariachi"?)
  7. Eno's Keys - (4 july 2008) - Probably Eno working on Breathe (Crashing cymbals) while Lanois plays an bare version of his song Agave.
  8. Adam Fans - (12 july 2008) - Breathe
  9. Larry Drums - (18 july 2008) - Possibly No Line On The Horizon (?)
  10. Motorcycle - (1 august 2008) - "Glockenspiel" (Unreleased)
  11. Larry Stuff - (9 august 2008) - For Your Love (--> Stand Up Comedy)
  12. Nice Drive - (27 august 2008) - My Mistakes Were Made for You by The Last Shadow Puppets and All Over Town (intro only) by The Kooks.
  13. Eno's Gels - (19 september 2008) - Possibly quick snippet of Get On Your Boots, later with Bono/Lanois discussing Winter (Linear Version).
  14. Edge Funk - (6 october 2008) - Unreleased bluesy jam by The Edge.
  15. Dallas - (13 october 2008) - Extended middle-eight section rehearsal from Winter (Linear Version)
  16. Edge Red Drums - (24 october 2008) - Edge interviews Larry, no music.
  17. Edge Put It Down - (2 november 2008) - Magnificent
  18. Sea and Sky - (17 november 2008) - Larry shows us the "No Line On The Horizon"-moment in Dublin. No music.
  19. Toilet Break - (22 november 2008) - Breathe, with Edge using an Ebow, unreleased version.
  20. Till Your Well Runs Dry - (8 december 2008) - Acapella singing round the dinner table.
  21. Father Brian Eno Drums - (15 december 2008) - Magnificent
  22. Gavin Board - (12 january 2009) - Discussion about songs on Eno's whiteboard, no music.
  23. No Line On The Horizon - Fez - (10 february 2009) - Same as The Guardian video I.
  24. The Buzzard - (13 february 2009) - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
  25. Three Cities - (15 february 2009) - Same as The Guardian video II.
  26. Here are complete transcripts for the videos above that I put together a while ago: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-the-horizon-complete-transcripts-199293.html

iTunes Bonus or something like that: evolution of Unknown Caller and French Disco (-->Magnificent)
YouTube - U2 FEZ video bonus NLOTH HQ

:bow: Thank you so much for sharing this! I really enjoyed watching all those vids.

Back
Top Bottom