U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooooooooooooo happeeeeeeeeee!

Question for those that are a subscriber of U2.com - does this presale ticket access code actually work with success? I have such terrible luck getting tickets now - I so much preferred lining up for them and having real fans getting them.........

Q - If I renew my U2.com subscription, will I receive a ticket access code for presale tickets?

A -In a touring period, paid-up subscribers receive an opportunity to enter a special ticket presale.

don't be too happy too fast - it's just a rumor, albeit from a very reputable source. nothing has been made official.

regarding the code? it's not a guarantee, but since Vertigo it's been fairly reliable.

When the initial Vertigo tour presales went sideways, Larry made a statement in the midst of an award acceptance to set shit straight and there’s been nary a wrinkle since.

[Obligatory seniority/three presales tiers for 360 statement here]

I just don’t see what U2 was doing in 2015 that was any different than what they’ve always done and I hope they continue to do: stand behind new material and push the boundaries of what’s possible in a live setting.

Also, I never said “open” in my post, so not sure who you’re quoting? And they literally played the Apollo in 2018, which is more or less The Greek. So … ?

The difference is that SOI was the weakest received album of their career at that point. Any critics’ aggregate or user score aggregate around the web confirms that (and as far as critics are concerned, U2 has a MASSIVE edge with mainstream, legacy publications that give them 4 or 5 stars no matter what). Some of you loved it, fine. The majority clearly did not.

Them doing a one-off Apollo show across the country frol me that’s very hard to get tickets to isn’t the same as a tour of cool outdoor amphitheaters where they could play near where I live to 5-8,000 people a show. I’m just listing what my ideal show would be. For others, it’s a video game in an arena and that’s cool too! Saw Purity Ring last night and they were phenomenal.

Yup, almost as bad as calling someone a sycophant for liking it :wink:

I think anyone arguing thar U2 SHOULD be opening a tour with 13 songs from SOI/SOE is a lost cause and up the band’s arse. So the sycophant tag should remain.

U2 has been too big for amphitheaters for over 30 years. Seeing them from the arena floor (for $120 or less) has basically been a club-like experience for the past 20 years.

IMG_8267.JPG

The difference is that SOI was the weakest received album of their career at that point. Any critics’ aggregate or user score aggregate around the web confirms that (and as far as critics are concerned, U2 has a MASSIVE edge with mainstream, legacy publications that give them 4 or 5 stars no matter what). Some of you loved it, fine. The majority clearly did not.

Them doing a one-off Apollo show across the country frol me that’s very hard to get tickets to isn’t the same as a tour of cool outdoor amphitheaters where they could play near where I live to 5-8,000 people a show. I’m just listing what my ideal show would be. For others, it’s a video game in an arena and that’s cool too! Saw Purity Ring last night and they were phenomenal.

Pop was not that well received, nor was Discotheque. And even after the Vegas show and the embarrassing ratings for “A Year in Pop” they continued to push that album hard, even to generally empty stadiums.

I’m glad they did. I’m less of a fan of Pop than many in here (I like it, tho) and I loved PopMart and respect them for this.

I think SOI will be reevaluated at some point, and I think many of those reviews were centered around the Apple debacle. If you read the reviews of I/E, however, the tour was generally rapturously received, I guess despite all that new material which everyone hated.

Do you think you’d be able to even get tickets if they were playing 8,000 seaters?

While I love a lawn show, U2 is not lawn seats music. At least for me. I tend to like the “tight narrative” shows … but that’s too long a discussion to get into.

I think anyone arguing thar U2 SHOULD be opening a tour with 13 songs from SOI/SOE is a lost cause and up the band’s arse. So the sycophant tag should remain.

When did this ever happen? They didn’t do this at all. You are making this up.

The longest stretch of SOI songs was iris-CR-SFS. That’s three, and they followed it with SBS.

Going back and checking set lists in 2015 and 2018 were very mixed with old and new. So, you don’t know what you are talking about. At all it seems?

Last edited:
I+E is their best tour thematically and production-wise since ZooTV, and I’ll cherish those nights for a long time. Felt like they were really trying.

E+I was more like going through the motions and only served to show how special the Innocence tour was.

Maybe it's going to be an Achtung Baby 30th anniversary show? AB played back to back for the first half and mix of other songs for the second. It would be incredible in that venue. Let's face it, Bono has too many health issues for another world tour. Seems like a genius idea IMHO. Just hoping that tickets won't be sold through TM.

I+E is their best tour thematically and production-wise since ZooTV, and I’ll cherish those nights for a long time. Felt like they were really trying.

E+I was more like going through the motions and only served to show how special the Innocence tour was.
This i can get behind.

I'm still pissed they didn't switch the first half up until they had a DVD to film

This i can get behind.

I'm still pissed they didn't switch the first half up until they had a DVD to film

If they weren’t so lazy, they could’ve put together an alternative Innocence Suite comprised entirely of songs from the early records along with The Miracle or Reach Around and the casuals and hardcores alike would’ve swooned.

If they weren’t so lazy, they could’ve put together an alternative Innocence Suite comprised entirely of songs from the early records along with The Miracle or Reach Around and the casuals and hardcores alike would’ve swooned.

anything would have been better. i just don't get why they felt the need to drag the innocence suite out again.

don't get me wrong - it was mind blowing the first go around. i just didn't need to see it again.

tossing that out there again instead of creating something new was 100% lazier than JT30

I'd love if U2, instead of playing large venues that I'd have to leave my house to get to, could just play in my backyard for 10-12 of my closest friends.

Hey I'm just listing what my ideal show would be, folks.

Dammit, why am I #13 on the list.
Here's hoping John Wall can't make it and I move off the standby list.

Guesses on residency ticket prices? I'll say $300 to get in the door, decent seats $700 and up.

It’s 20,000 seats so could start more reasonable than that but the high end wouldn’t surprise me. Vegas is its own beast and if they’re playing shows near where fans already are (i.e. standard touring), they could get away with charging more for something completely separate/different.

I found the fairly complex stagecraft (Bono was doing a lot) between the band and the cage on I/e quite thrilling and, if anything, underappreciated — look at BTBS and UTEOTW on the Paris video. It was the most cohesive, thought-through tour since ZooTV, which was their artistic peak. They sold the new songs in a way that they didn’t in 360, what with forced sing-alongs. RBW and Cedarwood Road were absolutely highlights that demanded your attention, and if you were bored, then that’s on you, casual.

The I/e show in Boston remains the absolute best concert I’ve ever seen. It was exactly what U2 should have been doing at the time — using the “visuals” to push the new stuff (exactly what they did in Zoo TV) and then ride the wave of classics into a glorious finish.

Absolutely! The I/E tour was quite impressive all around. You and I have spoken before about Boston 1 and we are not alone here. They frequently put on shows like this. I've seen them on every tour since Vertigo and was with family members who saw them at the Paradise in 1980! Everyone had a comment on how special that show was, how comfortable they seemed with themselves and how well the narrative worked.

My uncle said it best "they did a great job of showing what they've been trying to say all these years. I think with even a little bit of focus on something other than just the songs you hear on the radio, anyone there would've gotten it."

I also remember saying to my aunt after the first few shows of the tour "this combines Elevation sincerity with Zoo TV visual presentation."

When did this ever happen? They didn’t do this at all. You are making this up.

The longest stretch of SOI songs was iris-CR-SFS. That’s three, and they followed it with SBS.

Going back and checking set lists in 2015 and 2018 were very mixed with old and new. So, you don’t know what you are talking about. At all it seems?

Yeah, that's the tell of a troll there. :lol::lol:

Don't hit him with facts.

Unreal. I liked I/E way better than E/I, but objectively, none of that happened on either tour.

He mentioned starting I/E with a slap in the face?!

Miracle-Electric Co-Vertigo-I Will Follow. Literally everyone in that crowd is thrown a bone right up front, with a direct emphasis on the early die hards (Electric Co, OOC, Gloria). Those early songs are also way better known among the people in attendance than they would appear to be on paper- given how most of the people with the money to attend are older fans.

I overheard many conversations from casuals and die hards alike complimenting those set lists.

Totally agree! E/I definitely didn't match I/E for me and that was mostly because I perceived a "going through the motions" feeling to the tour when I saw it on Leg 1. Don't get me wrong, it was still U2 so that's a relative term. It also didn't apply all show- I thought Staring at the sun/Pride, COBL and Acrobat were out of this world.

If there was a show I saw of my 16 so far that didn't match my usual U2 experience, it was that one.

I know just based on the setlist changes that if I'd seen Europe, it would've been right on par with I/E.

It’s such a shame that the first leg and a half was such a lazy rehash of I+E because the Berlin show is actually a belter. I listen to the audio of it from time to time and I really enjoy it.

What are the odds they play a set like

The Miracle
Elevation
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
American Soul
Get Out of Your Own Way
Invisible
Ordinary Love
Still Haven't Found
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Miss Sarajevo
With or Without You
Walk On

Desire
Bullet the Blue Sky
Pride
Streets
One
Love is Bigger
There is a Light

This is what U2 + Residency screams to me. Full giving up mode.

Guesses on residency ticket prices? I'll say $300 to get in the door, decent seats $700 and up.

It’s 20,000 seats so could start more reasonable than that but the high end wouldn’t surprise me. Vegas is its own beast and if they’re playing shows near where fans already are (i.e. standard touring), they could get away with charging more for something completely separate/different.

I'm guessing low end around $200.00
High end...who knows?

What are the odds they play a set like

The Miracle
Elevation
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
American Soul
Get Out of Your Own Way
Invisible
Ordinary Love
Still Haven't Found
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Miss Sarajevo
With or Without You
Walk On

Desire
Bullet the Blue Sky
Pride
Streets
One
Love is Bigger
There is a Light

This is what U2 + Residency screams to me. Full giving up mode.

Supposedly, this will be supporting a new album so I don't see them focusing on SOE/SOI.

Here are some current rates for Vegas residencies

Silk Sonic ranges from $250 to $375
Katy Perry $125 to $375
Sting is $50 to $400

All of these venues are in the 4,000 to 7,000 range for capacity.

This venue is 17 to 20k.

Best comparison may be Billy Joel's residency at Madison Square Garden (who will also own the Sphere). $130 low end, $500 high end.

Curious to see what new Adele tickets will be. I think I had looked into them earlier, before all the unpreparedness, and you couldn’t get anything for under $1000. If you could get anything at all.

But that’s Adele, so …

Curious to see what new Adele tickets will be. I think I had looked into them earlier, before all the unpreparedness, and you couldn’t get anything for under $1000. If you could get anything at all.

But that’s Adele, so …

Adele is at the same venue as Sting - the Colosseum at Caesars. Pretty sure that place only holds 4,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom