U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This band's best awards ceremony performance of all time was also their most subdued, lack of fucks given performance - Please at the VMAs.

No gimmicks, no posturing by Bono - who couldn't even be bothered to take off his hoodie, no playing to the kids... just step on stage and slay it.

They should go back and take notes.

It's hard for me to really bash them for last night, as it was a relatively good performance of the song, and I don't dislike the song as much as most here do... but it just seemed like a blown opportunity.

I don't think summer of love with Gaga was the answer either, as she plays such a small part in that song that nobody even realizes she's on it unless you know already, and it would have just been seen as a gimmick.

Playing with an orchestra would probably be gimmicky as well, but at least the gimmick would have been related to the music.

The play was Little Things, just the 4 of them, subdued before soaring... just come on quietly, build to a soaring crescendo, and leave.

Last edited:
Fair point. I am just salty because I think the song is bland and by-the-numbers, the pre-taped performance on the barge robbed the band of their talent when performing live and Larry looked like he was there at gunpoint. I love the guys to death but this was brutal.

The problem is the song this "posturing" was tied to; it's so static, bland and showcases Bono's strengths and emotional range as a vocalist extremely poorly. GOOYOW was first put up on streaming services in early november; at this point they should've moved on and released Summer of Love as a single in time for this performance.

U2 playing SoL with a small string section and Lady Gaga doing backing vocals during the bridge would've been a highlight of the entire show, but instead while it was probably their best performance of GOOYOW to date the band looked tired because the song sounds tired.

I’m good with them playing GOOYOW but here is the thing. Millennial U2 is best in a more traditional setting by that I mean on a stage in an arena vs in the middle of the Hudson or on a flatbed truck driving through NYC or on the roof of the Tonight Show building (i.e. you don’t need a gimmick).

I say that because SOL on stage with a Lady Gaga(or without) would have been PERFECT.

I agree with all of these. I don't know what performance people here were watching but it came off tepid and bloodless to me. Compare it to some of last year's fiery performances of Bullet or Exit? Not even close. With the right song, U2 can still kill it in front of an audience. Putting them out in the middle of the water in the freezing cold with no audience energy to feed off? Not so good.

Of course, I'm confounded how people I know with taste like Get Out in the first place.

I didn't bother to watch the Grammy's because that's not something i would do anymore.

I did however just watch the video on YT, so here is my two cents (not that anyone cares, of course):

The video itself is really cool, the backdrop of the skyline and the statue of liberty are stunning behind the band. I wish they would have showed more of the skyline instead of focusing almost exclusively on the statue. It would have made a much more dramatic effect. Also nice they did it at sunset even though it would have looked better a few minutes earlier with the sun not completely set. Adam's purplish base looks really groovy, poor Bono does look quite haggard im not sure what is going on but these last couple of years must have been hell for him. Someone mentioned how good he looked at the Grammys in 2009....that was 9 years ago....this is a guy who still apparently parties like a sailor and it seems to be catching up to him.

Also of note, Bono looks lost when he is not performing to actual people. Performing to the Hudson on a barge in the middle of winter... he looks miserable. The rest of the band as well look cold. In all it wasn't a terrible idea, not even a terrible performance (save for the bullhorn), it's just a terrible song they chose to perform. I realize some of their greatest songs were very political, and u2 in 2018 can still make great music, so it makes me wonder why the two most political songs on SOE are the two clunkers? The rest of the album is pretty great aside from GOOYOW and AS.

And yet these two songs seem to be the only ones they are interested in promoting at the moment, one is a re-hash of two previous songs in their catalog, which gets worse at each remake. The other is just a boring dud, it really doesn't go anywhere at all musically and it's a pain to listen to from the band that once recorded Achtung Baby and Zooropa. They seem to have traded Johnny Cash for Kendrick Lamar, this quest for relevance is such a downward spiral. It's a total shame to watch them spinning their wheels like this. The irony here is, it seems u2 just can't seem to get out of their own way anymore. Maybe we are the ones that need the bullhorn, and maybe these guys should listen to us for a change instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Don't give me that look just because you didn't know Rockwell was kind of a badass.

I didn't find it to be effective. I don't think U2 looks any less like the biggest band in the world then when they're trying to look like the biggest band in the world....e.g. when such a big, special deal is made out of them and their performance. A barge on the Hudson river for crying out loud.

Why couldn't they just walk on stage, play a song, and walk off? These kinds of things expose them frankly. Especially when the song, or performance, is not good enough to pull of that kind of production. Perhaps another song that was more thematically and musically appropriate for the location would have gone off better.

And the bullhorn/Trump stuff at the end was just sort of gratuitous...look, we're part of #TheResistance too! Someone is going to come along and say "but..but...U2's always been political!" as if everyone in the world, and particularly on this site, doesn't already know that. I just don't ever remember it seeming to tacked on and lame and bandwagony. A pop artist taking a swing at Trump is about the lowest hanging fruit out there right now. As much as I despise Trump, I'm already bored with it.

That aside, the performance was just OK, but the band and song just weren't big enough to fit the venue.

Last edited:
Another/ smaller negative comment about U2's Grammys performance. But WAY more measured and valid to some fans. This one from Jon Pareles in the New York Times:

"The song (Get out of your Own Way) doesn’t entirely add up — it veers between self-help and political resistance"

I don't disagree with that quote, it's pretty valid.

The performance was fine. Overall better than I expected. Was disappointed their collaboration with Kendrick was so short, but knowing he did a medley, it makes sense.

I didn't find it to be effective. I don't think U2 looks any less like the biggest band in the world then when they're trying to look like the biggest band in the world....e.g. when such a big, special deal is made out of them and their performance. A barge on the Hudson river for crying out loud.

Why couldn't they just walk on stage, play a song, and walk off? These kinds of things expose them frankly. Especially when the song, or performance, is not good enough to pull of that kind of production. Perhaps another song that was more thematically and musically appropriate for the location would have gone off better.

Yep; in regard to that last point, they literally have two new great songs, with relevant political content, that are about BEING ON THE WATER. Summer of Love wouldn’t have worked in that setting (a suggestion above about duetting with Gaga at the actual ceremony was great), but the other one sure could have.

I really think they could have impressed the crowd with a pre-recorded Red Flag Day; I think most would have been surprised at how spunky it is.

Generally, it was fine. I’m not a fan of the song, but the backdrop and setting allowed them to cut through the clutter of the ceremony giving us something at least somewhat memorable. It’s not like such a bland song was going to stand out if performed on stage. That’s good enough for now.

“Shithole countries” was good. While Trump is the lowest of low-hanging fruit, it’s good to remind people that elections have consequences, and his unique combination of ignorance, stupidity, and mendacity is going to make life measurably worse for many, many people. Taking any opportunity to point that out, and reminding us of how far Trump and his thugs live from basic American values (ie, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island), is time well spent.

U2 chooses to get political at the Grammys but doesn't play a song like Summer of Love (with Lady Gaga already being at the show) or Red Flag Day? What is going on with them, seriously?

Get Out is the new single. It would make no sense to come out and play anything else.

There are myriad complex reasons for the inexorable decline in television ratings, and this show in particular; I don’t think a politicized show has much to do with it.

But conservative websites are going to run with the headline.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from the ratings, as you say I'm sure there is more than one reason for it. I will say that generally, I think there are a lot of people who don't welcome the politicisation of every aspect of our lives...from music to film to sports.

Anyway the headline is from Deadline, which is an entertainment site as far as I know.

Get Out is the new single. It would make no sense to come out and play anything else.

I suppose. But in U2's case, what difference does it really make what they play?

The problem as I see it is, they decided Get Out should be the next single, and also decided the iron was hot so they should strike with this refugee/immigration message now...hence the video and now this performance.

The problem is, the message that they want to deliver doesn't exactly gel with the single, and for that reason it sort of doesn't make sense. Which is a shame, because there are actually songs on that record, better songs, that go perfectly with the message they want to get out there.

Anyway, another misfire. Is it too late to bring back Magoo?

I suppose. But in U2's case, what difference does it really make what they play?

The problem as I see it is, they decided Get Out should be the next single, and also decided the iron was hot so they should strike with this refugee/immigration message now...hence the video and now this performance.

The problem is, the message that they want to deliver doesn't exactly gel with the single, and for that reason it sort of doesn't make sense. Which is a shame, because there are actually songs on that record, better songs, that go perfectly with the message they want to get out there.

Anyway, another misfire. Is it too late to bring back Magoo?

I think singing lyrics that include the “face of liberty is starting to crack” and “she took a smack in the mouth” couldn’t make much more sense while standing underneath the Statue of Liberty.

It doesn’t matter whether we think they should have chosen a different song for the 2nd single. That’s a different argument. They chose it. So it’s the one that should be promoted.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from the ratings, as you say I'm sure there is more than one reason for it. I will say that generally, I think there are a lot of people who don't welcome the politicisation of every aspect of our lives...from music to film to sports.

Anyway the headline is from Deadline, which is an entertainment site as far as I know.

http://drudgereport.com

IMG_3909.JPG

I think singing lyrics that include the “face of liberty is starting to crack” and “she took a smack in the mouth” couldn’t make much more sense while standing underneath the Statue of Liberty.

It doesn’t matter whether we think they should have chosen a different song for the 2nd single. That’s a different argument. They chose it. So it’s the one that should be promoted.

Yeah, OK. Sure why not.

I don't mind Get Out.... I actually quite like it. I do understand why others dont.

The issue and criticism stems from the over-the-top gimmicky performance on the barge. Yes, U2 are know for this type of shtick, in fact they have perfected it. But it's beyond getting old at this point.

Well it could have made sense to play American Soul, which, whatever you think of it, at least has a lot of energy and reminds people U2 is a fucking rock band.

Yes, they should have played American Soul, and let Kendrick Lamar do the intro. The barge thing was cool, but better to perform in the venue. When U2 get standing ovations from A listers, it's a great thing.

Reading through this thread, a couple other comments:

Summer of love is a nice tune, but just too weak to push as a single, let alone play at the grammys. The song could be by just about any artist/dj. Even with Lady Gaga, I doubt it would make the cut for her had it been her song. Nothing more than nice album filler.

Get out at least sounds like U2. It's not monumental,but it's definitely a strong U2 single.

They clearly have lost relevance. Not much mention of the band or their performance in the media grammy highlights.

Trump bashing is far from edgy. The entire evening was full of it. The liberal tv and music industry are pretty much all on board. I believe it steals a little thunder from U2's schtick. To be fair, at least u2 are for real about this, and have remained pretty consistent for decades. But it's hard to be anti establishment when the establishment becomes so.

Looks like this album and stage in u2's career is hurt a little by timing. Unfortunate, as they are in fine form.

Last edited:
I give them a lot of credit for that performance. It takes a great deal of courage for a music artist to call out Trump these days, particularly on a show like the Grammys.

I think it's safe to say U2 is squarely back on the cutting edge and no one can doubt their relevance anymore.

The more we normalize him the better!

The play was Little Things, just the 4 of them, subdued before soaring... just come on quietly, build to a soaring crescendo, and leave.

100% agree with you. Little Things should have been one of the singles and therefore the song to play at the Grammys, exactly as you described. Make the song a mic drop unto itself.

The issue for me is that U2 still play at those shitty Grammys where only pop and rap music matter. As much as I like SOE, it pains me to see them trying to fit in there. :down:

It is a little painful to watch, isn't it?

Having Bono and Sting etc so much in everyone's face is just too much. Especially when the young fresh blood is being ignored. Like Lorde not getting the chance to perform even though she was nominated for every major award.

Same with Jay Z.

Yet, there is time for Sting and Bono to show up three times a piece. It is very easy to see why so many hate U2.

The issue for me is that U2 still play at those shitty Grammys where only pop and rap music matter. As much as I like SOE, it pains me to see them trying to fit in there. :down:

according to both Bono and Edge, the Grammy's very much matter as does winning Album of the Year which they clearly stated was A VERY BIG DEAL.

sounds like they are already lobbying for SOE to get next year's prize.

Back
Top Bottom