U2 performing at inauguration! (rehearsal video posted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont find it to be any shock that Bono will be there what will be a shock is if we hear anything new....I could see some kind of a cover of something though.

Without the rest of the band, I can't really see Bono playing anything other than One or a cover.

He certainly won't be bursting out Streets, Pride, BD or GOYB without the others.

Without the rest of the band, I can't really see Bono playing anything other than One or a cover.

He certainly won't be bursting out Streets, Pride, BD or GOYB without the others.

I don't even like Bono singing One without the band...it just comes off a bit weird to me....especially given the context in which the song was written :shrug:

I don't even like Bono singing One without the band...it just comes off a bit weird to me....especially given the context in which the song was written :shrug:

I fully agree with you, but I think One has a good chance of being played nonetheless.

I fully agree with you, but I think One has a good chance of being played nonetheless.

:up: yeah, I wouldn't be surprised...oh well...I'm primarily interested in Bono's voice, and that's it, so regardless of what he sings, I just want to hear what his live 2009 voice sounds like...hopefully the improvement has continued :)

Sorry if this bit from the Washington Post has already been posted:

----
It's Official: Bruce Springsteen to Headline Obama's Sunday Concert

As The Post's Lena H. Sun first reported last week, Bruce Springsteen will be among the headliners at Obama's welcome concert on the National Mall on Sunday. The event will be from 7 p.m to 9 p.m near the Lincoln Memorial and it will feature performances by Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, will.i.am and Stevie Wonder.

(Clarification: The event starting time has not been announced. It appears likely to be in the afternoon. Update: The event will begin at 2 p.m.)

The concert, which will be televised live by HBO at from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., is free and open to the public. The title of the event is "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial."

According to the Presidential Inaugural Committee Web site Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington will be among those reading historical passages. The Rev. V. Gene Robinson will give the invocation.

"We Are One"

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're going to play 'One' with likes of MJB, Beyonce, Crow joining in and it will be cheestastic...

I wonder if this is what Larry's apparently all worked up about? I admit I am disappointed in Bono that he'd become involved in this inauguration & its festivities. Why couldn't he wait until after the fanfare to make his move on the new administration? I admire him and certainly don't blame him for using opportunities whenever possible for his causes, but his bi-partisanship should come into play here. I also feel a bit like he is getting in on the band wagon. I'm obviously not an Obama fan. I have to laugh every time I hear people say this inauguration is going to be "so different" and more historic than any other. It's going to be a fanfare indeed and in my opinion an incredible waste of tax payer's money on a celebration beyond any other inauguration. Why?
Articles have stated that some, if not all of the artists were very excited to perform for free. Furthermore, they are raising money from private donors, not using taxpayer money for inauguration. What is a waste of taxpayer money is the Bush administration telling the Obamas that the white house guesthouse which is already secure was booked, so the secret service had to spend hundreds of thousands on a hotel suite for the family, when the guesthouse wasn't booked. /fym

Let's face it, Bono would support the devil himself if he thought he would get some money for his causes :lol: I doubt very much any of this is to do with politics, it rarely is with Bono, it is all about maximum publicity. Just sayin :reject:

U2 performing at inauguration! will play "Pride"

Just read the thread from ladywiththespinning head - but seconds after that found this on Variety - it's from a producer of the show:

"As such, performers will sing selections that tie into the program's themes. Stevens cited as an example U2 singing "Pride (In the Name of Love)," which is about King and the civil-rights movement."

Stars set for Obama inauguration - Entertainment News, Business News, Media - Variety

Reuters ist also reporting that U2 and not only Bono will performing:

Springsteen and U2 line up for Obama celebration | Lifestyle | Reuters

and by the way:
Springsteen will perform the rising
Stars line-up for Obama: Entertainment: Celeb News: News24

I think if U2 will really be there they will also play the new single.

I thought U2 was against the cult of personality and all about endorsing issues. This might not be a good idea. Obama will make many difficult decisions, which will piss liberals like myself and Brian Eno and others who want actual justice and not "justice" as Israel defines it.

Bad move, Bono. Then again, so was your lame-ass ode to a macho dick like Sinatra who was connected to the mob....who also died years ago.

How about talking about something relevant like the Israeli massacre? No? Too cowardly?

Dude seriously, the thread is RIGHT BELOW this one.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/bono-performing-at-inauguration-192155.html

Check the page before making new threads please! It'll help against the mess this forum is right now.

I refer to this thread in the first post - thaught is was somehow important and something different that U2 will play there and not only Bono. And also that they will play Pride. And this Info at the end of 100 pages could be missed by people interested in this :wave:

I didn't see that part, but you could just post this in the thread. It's normal to post info in the running thread instead of making separate ones. Otherwise we'd have 20 threads on each topic.

wait what....U2 is performing? So it's not just Bono....the entire band is going to be there performing Pride?!?! Ummmmmmm....this is huge...I hope it's true :hyper:

Well the offical press release said only Bono..not U2 ...but the article did say U2 were asked to play the song "Pride"....and U2 is a political band...it will be near the Martin Luther King holiday and whether you are a Democrat or a Republican...this is a historic event...so the more I think about it....the more it makes sense.
However I would be shocked if they completely whore themselves out and play "Get On Your Boots" this not the event to be performing that song and I don't think U2 would use this event to promote a new song...at least I certainly hope not

^ I don't think they'll play the new song.

It makes sense that U2 will perform at this event, together with so many other musicians. It isn't about endorsing Obama or anyone, it's about hope in a better future. That should be great!

Btw, most media says it's only Bono. Organisers have confirmed his appearance. I'm not so sure about the whole band appearing.

I thought U2 was against the cult of personality and all about endorsing issues. This might not be a good idea. Obama will make many difficult decisions, which will piss liberals like myself and Brian Eno and others who want actual justice and not "justice" as Israel defines it.

Bad move, Bono. Then again, so was your lame-ass ode to a macho dick like Sinatra who was connected to the mob....who also died years ago.

How about talking about something relevant like the Israeli massacre? No? Too cowardly?

What is wrong with a mobconnected macho dick? :wink:

Show some respect to ol blue eyes.

Middle east problem? Fairytailbooks that are taken WAY too serious and you get the Middle east.
:down:

U2 performing. Allways :up::up:

:)

Lighten up, Francis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom