The Claw 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AntonCorbijn

The Fly
Did anybody watch this year's Universiade (sort of like the Olympics for university students)? Neither did I, but I just stumbeled upon some pictures of the opening/closing ceremony held in Kazan, and SOMETHING looked strangely familiar....have a look:

002l6bgm.jpg

0014xx7b.jpg

003twxqy.jpg

004swau2.jpg

0054gy3o.jpg

They sold the stages didn't they? As there were 3 stages, I think 3 frames but 1 screen. This looks like they bought one and skinned it, as the orange pillar in the middle is still visible. :hmm: So this could very well be a Claw on its 2nd life.

I think I prefer that design to the one that was actually used. Certainly more aesthetically pleasing.

Similar idea, but I think that's a different construct.

They didn't sell the claws in the end did they? The design has defo been influenced by the claw. The screen is similar aswell

It's not "the" Claw, but it's definitely a similar idea.

I think it is one of "the" Claws. The construction looks too similar to merely be an inspired concept. For this version they did extend the legs at the top to have them come together, but that's it to my eyes.
It also would not make sense, to spend so much money in the design and construction of the materials (many millions of dollars) if there's a tried and true version readily available. What did the three Claws cost U2? Wasn't it something like $30 million? And that resulted in a large and open structure that could carry about 250,000 kilos of screen and PA, etc. Trying to reinvent this wheel again would be nuts.

Edit: Hmm, according to this article on the official Kazan 2013 site they were stubborn enough to build it from scratch. http://kazan2013.ru/en/news_items/6639
The stage of the Summer Universiade Opening Ceremony is unique – it has the shape of a pyramid which has a huge cauldron with the Flame of the World University Games at the top. The 470-tonne metal structures for the stage were produced in Nizhnekamsk. The installation work was carried out by OOO SOP&G.

Well I imagine they didn't need all the lighting and camera crews hidden up in the Claw legs every night for this thing, so it has the open legs with more visibility. But that probably wouldn't work for a U2 show, or any concert I would guess.

I'm guessing you mean From The Ground Up? (The U2.com membership gift that came with the Edge's Picks live CD from 360 Tour, and other goodies)

I have it. It's nice. :up:

Yes that's the one I meant. Is it worth buying?

Yeah, I can recommend it. It has plenty of photos from the 360 Tour, though most are a bit too processed for my liking. And it also has quite a lot of text about the tour, with interviews with most of the key players. Not just the band, but also 'Willie' Williams, Paul McGuinness, etc.
And if you get the edition from U2.com, you also get a 15-track live disc from the tour. What's not to like? :)

Yeah, I can recommend it. It has plenty of photos from the 360 Tour, though most are a bit too processed for my liking. And it also has quite a lot of text about the tour, with interviews with most of the key players. Not just the band, but also 'Willie' Williams, Paul McGuinness, etc.
And if you get the edition from U2.com, you also get a 15-track live disc from the tour. What's not to like? :)

Nothing! You have sold me.....thanks.

This is a better set-up for a concert... because it would allow an "in the round" setting for a stadium... which is AMAZING.

Back
Top Bottom