Taking child to U2 show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hi everyone,

My son who turns 4 in December loves the new U2 album. Really loves 'Raised By Wolves'. I joke around with my wife of taking him next tour and even showed him videos of the promo tour. And he is so into them. Kind of funny since i'm a diehard fan.

He even says he wants to see them with the loud noises. I saw a few kids at the 360 show just not sure they were 4.5 yrs old (age he'll be when U2 tours).

What is everyone's take on kids going to see U2? I know there can be some drunk behavior from people in general at concerts but I think he'll be ok. And yes we'll have ear protection for him too.

As a father of an 18 and 20 year old, I'd say it's more hassle than it may be worth. I understand you want to share w/your son, but he might get tired midway through the show, most likely...also the sound is so loud, earplugs are a must if you do take him...:yes:

My guess is you'll enjoy the concert more with your wife or a friend. Wait until he's a little older and you'll both enjoy it much more...:up:

Yeah, he is really patient and receptive for his age. He loves observing. If anything I'm hoping for a back 2 back show somewhere and he can go to one show (w/ wife too) and they can leave if they have too :)

Not sure U2 will be touring again after this one :depressed:

I'm in a similar situation. My son really loves "the miracle" ever since he saw the commercial. He is 3, and he always asks to the "whoa whoa song". He knows who Bono and Edge are, and says "Edge is cool!" He'll be 5 by the time of the 2016 shows, but I still think that's too young. I look forward to sharing music and concerts with him someday... Hopefully some good bands are still touring in 10 years when he'll be old enough to fully appreciate it.

If Coldplay ever tour again, I have a standing obligation to take my 13 year old nephew with me. He's a huge fan, and thinks its so cool that I saw Coldplay in a small venue back in 2002. Looking forward to that too!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really have no thoughts either way, but I just recently went to a concert where parents brought a 6 year old... they were on the receiving end of quite a few judgmental eyes and comments. :shrug:

I think you'll be able to enjoy the show more without your kid. I have a 3 year old and I took her to cirque du soleil and had to leave early because she got bored. Every time I take her to the movies is the same... So far she has only been able to watch complete a Disney on ice show.

We took our 3 year old son to Sesame Street live recently, and he was good for the first half. Seeing how happy he was was worth the price of admission. After thee intermission, his interest had faded and we didn't last much longer. If Elmo can't hold his attention for 3 hours, what chance does Bono have?

My parents took me to a ZooTV show and it was very influential. So influential that I became a belly dancer about 10 years later.

1. Baby Banz. Look it up. $25 and they make them for tweens, toddlers and infants

2. When making a decision, make it not based on what show you;re going to and how much you're looking forward to it, but how much you want to bond with your kid. Maybe go to another concert first and see how he reacts.

Music is big for us, so I just took my kids to their first show a few weeks ago to see how they'd do. My daughter was about 5 months and loved it. Not sure she could hear anything but the bass, but she loved the lights. My son was about 3 months and he cried most of the time (he's colicky). We left about two-thirds of the way through. I didn't get to enjoy the show very much because I was constantly watching after the babies. That was OK. I picked this show for a reason (close to home, etc). Your son is older, but it's safe to say he'll either get bored, or tired, or won't like the flashing lights, etc. Give it a test run. We're going to try again in a month or two.

I don't know...4 years old? As you said if you did it definitely bring ear plugs, the decibel level can get pretty high during one of these concerts, especially if it's in an arena. Anything above 85 dba can cause hearing loss in young children, and rock concerts can easily exceed this. Will the plugs irritate him?

It would probably be fine, but as others have said he'll likely get bored so why risk it?

In all seriousness, 4 seems way too young for a rock concert.
I've seen people take young kids, once was flabbergasted saw a couple with a newborn in one of the snuggie things at Springsteen at Fenway, they were gone by 2nd song, complete waste.

I'd say something in the ball park of 10 would be the youngest that it makes sense and then it depends on the kid.

Kids should be made at U2 shows.

:lol:

That being said..... I have a (soon) 6 year old daughter who loves U2 and in particular the new album SOI. We will try to make it to 1 show with her. Of course, seated and with earplugs. I m looking forward to it like a child :D

Then, at least 2 or 3 shows without her in GA section to jump my butt off!!!

I have a friend who takes his kids to concerts all the time. They're, maybe, 6-8 or so now. Both think they are rock stars.

This is all great advise.

I might see about taking him to a show before hand just to see how he does. We live in San Antonio and no one ever comes here except Pop stars. And I can't take him to a bar in Austin to see a good band.

The way this thread is going maybe they'll be a group of parents with small kids in the GA section. U2 would need to put playground equipment and coloring books in the seciton.

This is all great advise.

The way this thread is going maybe they'll be a group of parents with small kids in the GA section. U2 would need to put playground equipment and coloring books in the section.

I would love that. Call it the golden circle, because at any time we may get peed on.

One last tip... try making your first show an open-air one. The sound goes up, and it's a good environment to try this kid ear muffs or ear plugs. Even a concert in the park may work, since its free and you can leave after one song with absolutely no guilt.

dunno about concerts where you are, but i would be worried about inhaled weed and cigarette smoke... not to mention noise issues, and being stuck in a crowd with a potentially tired unhappy tiny one

also depends how much YOU want to enjoy the show :D

I'd love to take my daughter with me (she's five, will be six by the time they get organised to come here) but I think I would spend time worrying about her & how she is too much to ever really enjoy the gig, especially as I intend to be first in the queue for the doors and down the front during it.

It could be a potentially expensive experiment. I would leave the kid home and enjoy the night out. When kids get tired and cranky they have no concept of what you paid for the tickets, parking, gas, etc.

dunno about concerts where you are, but i would be worried about inhaled weed and cigarette smoke... not to mention noise issues, and being stuck in a crowd with a potentially tired unhappy tiny one

also depends how much YOU want to enjoy the show :D

Smokers in my experience are the least problem you'll have. Bathrooms, boredom ( Support , break and Main act = a LONG time!!) Also the people who drink mahoosive amounts of beer. They are usually the most annoying one's if you are in seats.
They get up every 10 minutes to get some beer. And if you are "lucky" you'll have to keep standing up for them to pass. :wink:
And they tend to talk through the music or be annoying in general.

Smokers, at least tend to watch out for kids and shouldn't mind if you politely ask them to not smoke close to your child etc.

I think its a really brave idea for you to take your kids. But I wouldn't do it if I had kids. They can be annoyed and bored themselves, annoy others, or distract you from a great concert.
You have to ask yourself what the benefit is for your kids.
Are they even gonna remember? Would they actually REALLY care if they missed out ?

Back
Top Bottom