SUCs of other bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Stand. I know the band hates Shiny Happy People, but that is one damn glorious pop song.

Star 69 is REM's ABOY. Sounded really cool at first, then got lame after repeat listens.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Ignoreland" would be their SUC. Real atrocity of a song IMO (probably an unpopular opinion).
"Lightnin Hopkins" would be their ABOY. It's okay, though, because unlike ABOY, LH is the only weak song on it's album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong thread. File under "Extremely Unpopular Musical Opinions"

My opinions about REM are often not popular.
"Losing My Religion" is my least favorite on Out Of Time.

Last edited:
My opinions about REM are often not popular.
"Losing My Religion" is my least favorite on Out Of Time.

REM has so much better music that I barely think of LMR when I think of them. IMO, the albums they made in The IRS years are nothing short of pure magic. OOT is by far my least favorite album of theirs, even behind Around the Sun.

Back to the topic at hand, "hymn for the weekend" of the new Coldplay album is pretty damned bad. Nobody wants to hear Chris Martin sing about "feeling drunk and high".

Last edited:
Star 69 has one thing on All Because Of You; it's not offensively awful dreck. It's a fun little moment on a fun little album, but it's not a song whose authors forgot to write a chorus and decided to just caterwaul about for a few seconds before returning to the verse.

I'm sure REM have an All Because Of You in their catalogue somewhere, but it's hard to think of offhand, as even their mediocre music usually has a pretty fair melodic instinct.

For me the absolute shit icing on the cake with Stand is that insufferable enunciated 'd' at the end...

" so staaaaaaannnnn - DUh'

Despite my sarcastic post earlier, I genuinely do like Stand. I recognise that's partly for nostalgia though. It has undeniably daft qualities.

But I will absolutely defend Shiny Happy People. That's a very enjoyable song and I do not fathom the hate.

And not to turn this into the REM thread, but Everybody Hurts blows and I know more than a few people who haven't given REM a chance because that's the only song they know. Losing My Religion, at least, is good - but not great.

Fuck outta here. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is awesome

i do remember you saying once that you loved rocky raccoon, i think? the cheesy late-beatles mccartney stuff isn't really my thing. i thought long and hard about mentioning ob-la-di ob-la-da too.

Rocky Raccoon is one of my fav Beatles songs ever, genuinely think it's a blast.

Obladi isn't great, neither is five or six other White Album tracks but it's still my #2 Beatles behind Abbey Road.

I find it hard to hate on Wild Honey Pie as much these days. Aggressively hated it in the past but it's really just a dumb throwaway track on an album full of them. It's over so quickly it barely makes a dent.

yeah, wild honey pie is too short to hate on so much. i know a lot of people would go with revolution 9 but i do think it was a genuinely ambitious and ahead of its time attempt at building a song with no actual instruments.

for me it goes revolver, abbey road, then rubber soul/white album/magical mystery tour in a revolving ( :wink: ) third place.

i'm really high and now you're just going to make me listen to the beatles all night to figure out the worst track.

edit: nvm - it's mr. moonlight

Last edited:
For consideration:

Queen

Body Language

Give me, body - give me - body - body - give me your body
Don't talk, don't talk, don't talk, don't talk, don't talk
Baby don't talk
Body language
Body language
Body language
Give me your body
Just give me - yeah - your body
Give me - yeah - your body
Don't talk
Body language ha ha
Body language
Body language
You got red lips
Snakes in your eyes
Long legs, great thighs
You've got the cutest ass I've ever seen
Knock me down for a six anytime anytime
Mmm ha
Look at me - I gotta case of body language
Look at me - I gotta case of body language ha ha haa
Of body language - of body language - ha - yeah
Sexy body, sexy, sexy body
I want your body
Baby you're hot
Body language hah
Body language huh
Body language aah
Body language yeah
Body language aah
Body language huh
Body language hah
Body language hah
Body language

For consideration:

Queen

Body Language

Give me, body - give me - body - body - give me your body
Don't talk, don't talk, don't talk, don't talk, don't talk
Baby don't talk
Body language
Body language
Body language
Give me your body
Just give me - yeah - your body
Give me - yeah - your body
Don't talk
Body language ha ha
Body language
Body language
You got red lips
Snakes in your eyes
Long legs, great thighs
You've got the cutest ass I've ever seen
Knock me down for a six anytime anytime
Mmm ha
Look at me - I gotta case of body language ha ha haa
Of body language - of body language - ha - yeah
Sexy body, sexy, sexy body
I want your body
Baby you're hot
Body language hah
Body language huh
Body language aah
Body language yeah
Body language aah
Body language huh
Body language hah
Body language hah
Body language

Hot Space...wasn't their finest hour (though Under Pressure is probably my favorite Queen song).

yeah, wild honey pie is too short to hate on so much. i know a lot of people would go with revolution 9 but i do think it was a genuinely ambitious and ahead of its time attempt at building a song with no actual instruments.

for me it goes revolver, abbey road, then rubber soul/white album/magical mystery tour in a revolving ( :wink: ) third place.

i'm really high and now you're just going to make me listen to the beatles all night to figure out the worst track.

edit: nvm - it's mr. moonlight [/B]

:lmao: :lmao:

I was a tween when The Beatles landed in the USA. As a teen i HATED Mr. Moonlight... for decades!
Now I see it more like a lark.

:hmm: for me, though Meet The Beatles of course blew open the doors in America...I'd start with-
A Hard Day's Night (tho :sad: She Loves You is not in there! What a powerhouse pop/rock song and in the end live performance of the film) so many of my favorite earlyish Beatles songs on here!

Revolver/ White Album / Sargent Pepper's /Harrison's 2 Yellow Sub songs /rotating 5ths Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Help

------------------
While there are good lyrics in The Who's YBYBYB- I find some of the melody rather meh

Last edited:
The best IMO is when the music and lyrics are of high order which is subjective.

for me often great music can override so-so lyrics.
Occasionally a melody, instrumentation that I really don' t like will ruin a song for me.

Springsteen/E St - Wild Billy's Circus (?)Story-
I looked up the lyrics first time now; they're really good. But I dislike the music
so much that I could never pay full attention to the lyrics. lol

Coldplay - X Marks The Spot

A 4 year old could've written those lyrics. The instrumentals sound like they were sampled from a Justin Bieber song. I don't like Boots or SUC, but I'd take both songs any day over this garbage.

Coldplay - X Marks The Spot

A 4 year old could've written those lyrics. The instrumentals sound like they were sampled from a Justin Bieber song. I don't like Boots or SUC, but I'd take both songs any day over this garbage.

:up:
As much as I've warmed up to AHFOD (Love Birds, Up&Up, Title Track and Adventure, Everglow, AD are all solid), Hymn, X Marks the Spot, and Fun could all make this list. Total garbage.
"My heart goes boom boom boom"
WTF.
Fun is totally pointless. Quintessential filler material.
Hymn is trash.

I know everyone loves to rag on Chris Martin and Coldplay, but even by Coldplay's standards... Hymn for the Weekend is just absolutely the worst thing ever.

Everybody Hurts is one of those songs, like Stuck In A Moment, that you're 'supposed' to be moved by. It may well be sincere but it comes off a little calculated when bands do their 'it isn't so bad' songs (what if it is so bad?). Everybody Hurts is by no means a horrible song, but yeah, about the bottom of the pack when it comes to R.E.M. songs, even R.E.M. songs that appear on Automatic For The People.

Back
Top Bottom