Rattle And Hum 25th Anniversary Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hold on, I thought the Sun Sessions were in November '87 when they went to Graceland...

I thought so too, but Bono talked about the sessions in the past tense when they did the Paradise press conference in September of 87. And a site that tracks Sun Sessions' activity over the years has U2 slated for activity there in late-May. Weird, right?

Yeah. Someone needs to check The Joshua Tree tour schedule... were they in the deep south in late May of '87?

U2 completed the first leg of their North American Tour in mid-May, '87. The European Tour began late May. So that leaves the 3rd leg, which began in September of 87. Matt McGee in U2: A Diary states the band were in Memphis to visit Graceland on November 29, 1987. This is the excerpt from the book under that date:
While in Memphis, U2 also have secret plans to visit and record at the legendary Sun Studio, where all-time greats like Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded in the studio’s heyday...While the band tour Graceland, last-minute details are still being arranged at the studio...
And also, Sun Studio was shown in Rattle and Hum. They didn't film footage for the movie during that first leg--so again that would have been the fall shows. They met Joanou in Hartford when they played there at the beginning of May. (McGee, May 7-8-9, 1987 entry).

And also, Sun Studio was shown in Rattle and Hum. They didn't film footage for the movie during that first leg--so again that would have been the fall shows. They met Joanou in Hartford when they played there at the beginning of May. (McGee, May 7-8-9, 1987 entry).

I agree with all this -- it's just confusing thAt he talked in September about the sessions in the past tense. Judicious editing?

I agree with all this -- it's just confusing thAt he talked in September about the sessions in the past tense. Judicious editing?

Yeah, that is confusing. Is there a video or transcript of the interview? I'd love to see/read it?

It's in Rattle and Hum...

Oops. Just went back and watched that section. Didn't realize that was the Paradise Press Conference that was being refered to. I guess it is odd for Bono to comment on something that hadn't happened yet.

Here's a question: Didn't Bono dislocate his shoulder around that time of the Paradise interview? Again according to McGee, The Paradise interview was conducted the day after he fell. Would his arm have been in a sling at the time? Could the press conference in the movie have been conducted later on in the tour? Just wondering...

Ok and even odder...November 19th McGee states they gave a press conference in LA which "a brief segment is included in R&H." Bono's comment would almost make sense but it is still about a week before the Sun Studio session happened.

Ok. I'm really confused. I give up.

November 19th McGee states they gave a press conference in LA which "a brief segment is included in R&H." Bono's comment would almost make sense but it is still about a week before the Sun Studio session happened.

Ok. I'm really confused. I give up.

I know, right? Now it's possible that Phil had Bono go back in and re-record some dialogue or something over the Sun shots, but still...weird.

I am so confuuuuused...!!
barbarino-i-m-so-confused-o.gif

U2 completed the first leg of their North American Tour in mid-May, '87. The European Tour began late May. So that leaves the 3rd leg, which began in September of 87. Matt McGee in U2: A Diary states the band were in Memphis to visit Graceland on November 29, 1987. This is the excerpt from the book under that date:

Yeah they probably had about 3-4 days off around the Sun Studios Sessions in TN.

Nov 27
Nov 28 - Murfreesboro Charles M. Murphy Athletic Center, TN
Nov 29 - Dec 02
Dec 03 - Miami Orange Bowl, FL

The fact that a LoveTown show hasn't been released in full, uncut, without all those stupid cutaway scenes, is a crime and a half! We know for a fact that one of the shows in Sydney and Dublin were professionally recorded. RELEASE IT! I know this is U2's least favorite period of themselves (except maybe Pop), but the performances on this tour were absolutely top notch. The band really were on fire, a well oiled machine. It really does find them at an odd impass between the U2 of the 80s and of the early 90s.

They should release that show where Bono simulates ejaculating on the crowd with a bottle of champagne.

God awful stuff.

Anyone of some vintage might recall they got a lot of crap from the Irish press and some Catholic youth organisation at the time for the ticket prices in Dublin, mostly in comparison to those for much larger shows in Dublin at the time. The tour had lots of Bono voice problems and postponements in Australia and Europe and there was Adams' weed bust to boot. I believe that out of the original five gigs planned at the Point, they cancelled one night [prior to tickets going on sale] on Dec 29th 1989. They also got a lot of press crap for not openly declaring if they were donating the proceeds to charity, for not doing a bigger venue or more shows, therefore coming closer to meeting ticket demand, considering the [now Dublin O2] venue had a 4,500 capacity at the time. After the 'furore', McGuiness had to release a press statement trying to defend the pricing but eventually admitted they had made a mistake and they dropped the prices after the criticism to about £16-18 from the original £20-25 pricing.

Add to this the three Amsterdam cancellations/Rotterdam reschuling c/o Bono's voice packing in on the last night in Dortmund, perhaps they just have a general bad vibe running on empty feel about that period now ["misguided and bombastic"] especially if you watch the first part of From The Sky Down ending with Larry walking off stage in Dublin at the end of "40". However it would be odd if they are in the process of remastering and rereleasing their pre 1990s catalogue that they will totally ignore R&H and leave us just the original pressing. Most artists remastering and reissuing their back catalogue put everything out regardless of their personal opinions on the period in question...

The fact that a LoveTown show hasn't been released in full, uncut, without all those stupid cutaway scenes, is a crime and a half! We know for a fact that one of the shows in Sydney and Dublin were professionally recorded. RELEASE IT! I know this is U2's least favorite period of themselves (except maybe Pop), but the performances on this tour were absolutely top notch. The band really were on fire, a well oiled machine. It really does find them at an odd impass between the U2 of the 80s and of the early 90s.

The rumor is they do not own the rights to the full raw pro shot footage of the Sydney shows. They are owned by the Australian TV network that paid for them. The other rumor is the Dublin footage has deteriorated and/or the band were not happy with that footage. If U2 wanted they probably could get the Sydney footage, as they had the same problem with the Red Rocks footage from 83. Difference is Red Rocks was an iconic concert. They do not have fond memories of the Lovetown tour. Anything is possible but I seriously doubt we will ever see a full commercial pro shot release of a Lovetown show.

I cant believe that my 3rd fave u2 album, AND tha bands 3rd best selling album, 25th anniversary has come and gone, without even a tip of the hat from the band, in the general direction of the album.

I cant believe that my 3rd fave u2 album, AND tha bands 3rd best selling album, 25th anniversary has come and gone, without even a tip of the hat from the band, in the general direction of the album.

Hey hey. They posted four pictures on Instagram. For their dozens of followers.

Dylan joins u2 back in Sun Studios in Memphis to record the song only it's no longer called Prisoner of Love, it is now called Love Rescue Me.
The band is in disbelief at their good fortune - they are recording at Sun Studios with Bob Dylan, B.B. King and the legendary Memphis Horns brass section using the original equipment and engineers that laid the very foundation of Rock and Roll.
http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2011/12/25/love-rescue-me/

Feeling almost totally justified, I admit. But he doesn't cite his sources!

Back
Top Bottom