Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is absolutely a grower. I really hope that if it is on the album, it's at least a longer version. Both the middle and end scream for more room, and this does sound like a standard U2 sledgehammer single edit.

I've still got my expectations for the album set to 'Very Low' (based on form + length of time spent on it), but I can't see how this song would lower expectations. If this represents the top 5% of the album, it's a weak album. But if it's the bottom 50%, we're sweet. If this is down there at track 9 or 10, the late pick-up song slot, really, that's excellent.

It's not rising the charts in America because of the magic marker line.

Two possible reasons

a. Canadians are stupid enough to like it
b. Canadians are intelligent enough to understand the deeper meaning of this line

:wink:

Good to see it's doing quite well on many charts :up:

We have far better taste in wine, women, and song, so you shouldn't be..

yeaaaaaa Canadian women.... :wink:
justin-bieber-5a.jpg

It is absolutely a grower. I really hope that if it is on the album, it's at least a longer version. Both the middle and end scream for more room, and this does sound like a standard U2 sledgehammer single edit.

I've still got my expectations for the album set to 'Very Low' (based on form + length of time spent on it), but I can't see how this song would lower expectations. If this represents the top 5% of the album, it's a weak album. But if it's the bottom 50%, we're sweet. If this is down there at track 9 or 10, the late pick-up song slot, really, that's excellent.

Unfortunately growers are not what im after. I want a song that goes blows me away first time I hear it and go thats going to be a hit!

They pretty much have to write the best song ever written for their first single or I'm going to be really disappointed. There. I said it. I'm not a sheep. I have standards Bono can't just fart and expect me to like it.

Best song ever written ever anywhere, or the 2 and I are through.

They pretty much have to write the best song ever written for their first single or I'm going to be really disappointed. There. I said it. I'm not a sheep. I have standards Bono can't just fart and expect me to like it.

Best song ever written ever anywhere, or the 2 and I are through.

Well they need to write there best song ever to be relevant too.

Hmmm, being a huge U2 fan, I suppose I should get around to buying the single. To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind to do so.... :reject:

Not sure about the iTunes chart, but OL is a new entry at #82 on the UK singles chart.

@U2 has a little summery of the recent media coverage of U2's "promo" activities online:

U2 Hesitantly Promotes 'Ordinary Love' Single

Interesting to hear that they were thinking about canceling the interviews after Mandela's death. There are some voices, mostly in the fan community, that it might look like bad taste to promote a song (don't think it's a "single", though) that is based on the biography of someone who has just died. I don't share this opinion; I think it could be well understood as tribute to the great man and since there isn't a promotion machinery behind it like you would expect for a new U2 project, I can well live with them giving a couple of interviews.

Besides, I personally dislike the way @U2 has been commenting on news recently. It kind of reflects the way things are discussed over in their forums which IMO are also horrible. Obviously they cannot hold back commenting on everything instead of just reporting stuff and let people have their own interpretation and opinion. That's not what I want to read on a U2 news page. If I want to have commentary I go to the forum. Seriously, that's just annoying me big time.

what i think is great, is that, it might not "technically" be a single, but the people are kind of making it a single, going out and buying it, all over the world... it's lovely :heart:

Do you guys think Ordinary Love will be part of the set list for the new tour?
I really hope so.

I really hope so.

Considering recent events, I'd think there's a good chance it will be played on early tour dates (possibly accompanied by a clip of Mandela), then taper off over time when they realise it's a momentum killer/bathroom break song, eventually being relegated to the occasional snippet.

Let's face it, the song is destined to go the way of other one-offs like Window in the Skies and Electrical storm...interesting when released, remembered by the most passionate fans, but largely forgotten by the public and the band. Though the timing with regards to Mandela does give it a historical footnote in U2 history.

Considering recent events, I'd think there's a good chance it will be played on early tour dates (possibly accompanied by a clip of Mandela), then taper off over time when they realise it's a momentum killer/bathroom break song, eventually being relegated to the occasional snippet.

Let's face it, the song is destined to go the way of Window in the Skies and Electrical storm...interesting when released, remembered by the most passionate fans, but largely forgotten by the public and the band. Though the Mandela connection does give it a historical footnote in U2 history.

I think this song is way superior than WITS but underneath ES.

But I guess there's a good chance of things playing out like you say.

I really hope so.

I would say absolutely. It's got a great hook and is rousing, not boring at all. Got a great rhythm section, Bono's voice sounds fresh and I do believe that Edge will have a longer solo in or around the 2:56 mark. It's certainly nowhere near the room-clearer that Window In The Skies, North Star, Every Breaking Wave, etc etc even some recent album tracks were.

I can't wait to hear it live. :up:

I would say absolutely. It's got a great hook and is rousing, not boring at all. Got a great rhythm section, Bono's voice sounds fresh and I do believe that Edge will have a longer solo in or around the 2:56 mark. It's certainly nowhere near the room-clearer that Window In The Skies, North Star, Every Breaking Wave, etc etc even some recent album tracks were.

I can't wait to hear it live. :up:

:up::up::up:

IMO the song is a snooze-fest.

Bono sounds like a whiny little bitch and Edge does yet another lazy slide guitar solo.

Highly disappointed. :down:

I had to go listen to some Joshua Tree and R&H just to make sure this was the same band.

Back
Top Bottom