Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love WITS and listen to it frequently, I wish it had made it onto HTDAAB, I guess im not sure if it was in consideration or even around at that point. Not a fan of ES though and I'm afraid this will be forgotten as well.

IMO the song is a snooze-fest. Bono sounds like a whiny little bitch and Edge does yet another lazy slide guitar solo. Highly disappointed. :down: I had to go listen to some Joshua Tree and R&H just to make sure this was the same band.

Ok

Compare the lines "Ordinary Love" to the lines in Magnificent "in this space and time" - they are identical and to me that is a real put-off. Seems lazy, and I'm surprised nobody else seems to have noticed this??

Overall OL is not a bad song.. but extremely average. While I don't dislike it I am largely indifferent to it...

Compare the lines "Ordinary Love" to the lines in Magnificent "in this space and time" - they are identical and to me that is a real put-off. Seems lazy, and I'm surprised nobody else seems to have noticed this??
The lines are identical? Maybe you have a different version than me.

Besides, I personally dislike the way @U2 has been commenting on news recently. It kind of reflects the way things are discussed over in their forums which IMO are also horrible. Obviously they cannot hold back commenting on everything instead of just reporting stuff and let people have their own interpretation and opinion. That's not what I want to read on a U2 news page. If I want to have commentary I go to the forum. Seriously, that's just annoying me big time.

They're a site run by U2 fans, not the fucking associated press.

I don't hear it at all. :shrug:

I do hear a similar melody in the two songs, but I can't say I hear the line for line being identical.

The lines are identical? Maybe you have a different version than me.

Yes I'm talking about the melody, not the lyrics. Just sounds the same to me, and it was the first thing I noticed when hearing the song tbh.

Yes I'm talking about the melody, not the lyrics. Just sounds the same to me, and it was the first thing I noticed when hearing the song tbh.

I kinda figured you weren't talking about the lyrics. He ends the lines very similarly, but they're far from identical.

I kinda figured you weren't talking about the lyrics. He ends the lines very similarly, but they're far from identical.

I suppose that as I am a songwriter myself I tend to notice these things a lot and am quite picky with them, so probably just that.

I heard it got to number 82 in the UK charts - how do the charts work these days? Do songs climb to higher positions as the weeks go by, or was 82 likely to be it's peak?

I suppose that as I am a songwriter myself I tend to notice these things a lot and am quite picky with them, so probably just that.

I heard it got to number 82 in the UK charts - how do the charts work these days? Do songs climb to higher positions as the weeks go by, or was 82 likely to be it's peak?

Because of the unique circumstances surrounding the song, it could potentially have a longer shelf life than it normally would. The movie hasn't even come out yet in most areas, so it will be getting increased attention as that happens, and then I'd say there's a good chance the song will get nominated for an Oscar (A U2 song in a high profile movie about Mandela is almost assured an Oscar nomination, at least).

Having said that, I don't expect that this thing is really going to be setting the charts on fire. It's not any more memorable than any of the other mediocre U2 one-offs over the years, and if it weren't for the Mandela connection I don't believe it would go anywhere at all.

I'd think there's a good chance it will be played on early tour dates (possibly accompanied by a clip of Mandela), then taper off over time when they realise it's a momentum killer/bathroom break song, eventually being relegated to the occasional snippet.

Can't wait to hear the "magic marker" line snippeted during Bad on the next tour :)

Overall OL is not a bad song.. but extremely average. While I don't dislike it I am largely indifferent to it...

I did notice, and at another part there's the guitar intro for magnificent popping up as well. Can't recall exactly where, but I hear it every time. :lol:

I haven't bothered listening to it lately, but it does appear to be something of a pastiche of several other U2 songs (not particularly good ones at that). If it ends up being on the album (even in a slightly altered form), my finger will be primed on the "skip" button when it surfaces :wink:

I haven't bothered listening to it lately, but it does appear to be something of a pastiche of several other U2 songs (not particularly good ones at that). If it ends up being on the album (even in a slightly altered form), my finger will be primed on the "skip" button when it surfaces :wink:

Maybe as an iTunes bonus track pre-order incentive or something.

Since Edge got away with using roughly the same guitar riff in 3 different songs on Achtung Baby,
U2 must feel they are allowed to borrow from their other songs now and again
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom