How do you really feel about HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you really feel about HTDAAB

• I love it, my favourite U2 album!

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • It's great, it's in my top 5

Votes: 90 27.4%
  • It's ok, comparatively in the middle somewhere

Votes: 139 42.4%
  • It's not good, not awful, below halfway

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • It's awful, I hate it!

Votes: 30 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its got a few of some of their best songs and a few of some of thier least IMO.SYCMIOYO,COBL,and OOTS are some of their best.While ABOY,OSCTK,and FC not as good.The weakness for this record is the running order of songs.It dosent have the flow other albums have.:hmm:

Anyway, I remember I got home, took the CD straight out of my bag, put it on my hi-fi and...this is lame...switched off the lights and just lay down on my bed and listened to it start to finish. :

That's what I did too, and will do for No Line :)

i LOVED it when it came out...I definitely felt it had that U2 magic... the first listen was awesome. Early on I was ranking it about my 4th favourite U2 album. I don't feel that way anymore, it's somewhere in the lower middle. I like it more than R&H, October, and War (the first half of War is AMAZING, the second half doesn't do much for me). I listened to it just the other day and realized I liked it a lot more than I thought I did. Love and Peace or Else is straight-up badass and actually has good production, unlike most of the album. I do think it could have been better (alternate mixes of Yahweh and ABOY, single mix of OOTS, and MERCY, Fast Cars on it officially, and probably the removal of Crumbs and maybe OSC), but I really don't understand the people who think U2 has totally lost their way.

a couple more points:

-I really like the lyrics. Underrated for sure. I can point out awesome lines in every song.

-Everyone seems to think it's U2 by numbers, but when has U2 ever done anything quite like LAPOE? That was definitely different. How about anything as Beatlesque as OOTS? And Fast Cars was definitely different. I agree a lot of the songs are more classic U2, but this album wasn't without some experimentation.

-It wasn't ATYCLB part II. It had its own distinct feel. It rocked harder than ATYCLB, and ATYCLB has much more of a "warm" feel. I don't think it's anymore ATYCLB part II than JT is UF part II (well, maybe some would argue that it is??)

so yeah, it's not one of my favourite U2 albums, but I still like it a lot :up:

I Feel that HTDAAB would have been better with this format:

1.Native Son-Vertigo better comercially,NS better written organic tune.
2.Miracle Drug
3.SYCMIOYO
4.LAPOE
5.City of Blinding Lights
6.Smile
7.Are You Gonna Wait Forever
8.A Man and A Woman
9.Crumbs From Your Table
10.Original Of The Species
11.Yahweh
12.Mercy

B Sides

All Because of You
Ave Maria
One Step closer To Knowing
Fast cars/Xanax and Wine
Neon Lights

Original , Miracledrug, City are great songs and save the album for me. The rest is utter crap especially a man and a women / love and peace (worst u2 song ever by far).
So it's ok.

It's one of my top 5 because there are a lot of great songs, but I tend to skip over the middle from ABOY to Crumbs

still one my favourite U2 albums- really connected withn this one in a way that I never have with ATYCLB or Pop- although with the former most of the songs sound way better live

With Atomic Bomb I never had that problem- yes it's a bit U2 by numbers in places (One Step Closer) but I just like the songs- I did back in 2004 and I still rate this in my top 5 U2 albums

Well it's better than Zooropa so there's that...voted OK.

My least favorite U2 album, and least listened to. October was at the bottom, but that was before HTDAAB.

I like Vertigo for the catchy, sing-along tune. A fun song, not to be taken seriously.

The rest of the album, to me, doesn't have anything appealing or enduring. The melodies are absent, the lyrics don't connect, the songs are, overall, boring. Everything from the album cover to the tour to the band's look and style just turn me off completely.

It is the first U2 album I was ever disappointed with. And I still am. And I take no joy in saying that.

The one redeeming quality of HTDAAB is that it somehow gave us Mercy, in an indirect way. It's amazing that song wasn't on the album, but I enjoy how rare it is - a true gem for the die-hard U2 fans.

The first U2 album I declined to buy. After hearing the singles on the radio, I put off listening to the rest of the album for more than a year and a half. There are some songs I like on it (COBL, LAPOE), some I absolutely loathe, and some that I can't even remember the names. I honestly feel that the lyrics are the worst I've heard from them.

The one song I love is Fast Cars. That's the only song that gives me the same rush I get from listening to any of their other albums.

I love 'Achtung Baby', 'ATYCLB', 'Joshua Tree' and 'Zooropa'. But their top album, for me, will always be 'Boy'.

Just my two cents, however much that counts in today's economy. :|

HTDAAB has not aged well at all for me. I still love COBL, though. I think it's the one bright spot in an otherwise unimpressive album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom