finding THE joshua tree.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
hi everyone, heading off to the States tomorrow so this is probably a bit late, but we are going to L.A. and Death Valley and so on and i'd really really like to find The Joshua Tree (though i understand it's since fallen over).

i'd be really appreciative if someone could give me a rough idea of how to get to the tree?

many thanks :)

hey dude... in the gatherings section there are a few stories of members finding the tree. Apparently there are some kind of plaques these days?

lucky! :grumpy:

i may not be freezing my (non-existant) balls off, but my toes are a little cold. though looking at the weather back home, i'm not missing much. highs of 36, heat index even higher, and code orange air quality (which basically means people with asthma and the like shouldn't even go outside).

This thread has info

the joshua tree

There are a couple more threads as dan said in the gatherings forum. I think those guys could get there blindfolded these days. :wink:

DSC01343.jpg

:)

well i didn't get to the tree in the end.

we had just left the Grand Canyon and were driving towards San Diego via Seligman so dad could cross Route 66 off his bucket list, and it would have been a six hour detour (without stopping).

so i vowed, that one day i will make it to the tree (Dad: "it took me 47 years to get here"), so i hope you good people will ensure it remains the way it is for years to come.

:)

aww, that sucks. that's fun about driving on route 66, though. i think i've driven on it for a few moments, as i saw several signs on a couple exits i took while driving from chicago to st. louis. i don't think that counts, though.

did you listen to the song though? :D

yeah route 66 was pretty cool.

and i listened to the album the whole way through, which i haven't done in over a year. it was awesome.

Help finding the Joshua Tree location

Hey has anyone been to the actual u2 Joshua tree location going in a couple of weeks. A lot of conflicting stories on the actual location. Gps coordinates would be great and are there any places to stay within say 45 minutes of the location. Either in California or Nevada? Thanks everyone for any information you can give.

Several of us have been out there. I even drove a whole group of us last time but can't remember the actual directions. I know it's NOT in JT Nat'l Park. If you PM BonoComet or BonoFox1; they might be able to help you out. It helps to take a photo of the site out there with you - I think that's what Comet did the first time, just lined up the horizon with the pics. I do know that it's about 1/4 mile off the highway so you can't really see it from the road w/o binoculars. And you should plan on going to Zabriskie Point too, where the actual cover of the JT album was shot. It's BEAUTIFUL!

And if you do go, I'll tell you what those before me told me, please be respectful of the tree and the site. Don't sit/stand/climb on what remains of it - you can see, it's already decomposing. Also, when we were there the 1st time, the park ranger came out and said we weren't supposed to be there, but since fans had always been very good about not leaving ANY trash or anything and being careful where they walked, etc, he'd sort of "let it slide". He was pretty clear that he didn't want directions / coordinates posted on the internet though. He gave us one of these :eyebrow: asking how we found the place.

Also, just beyond the tree is Native American burial ground (or sacred ground of some kind) so, you know, just be careful and respectful.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom