Disappearing Act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the best of all the "rediscoverd" songs from the reissues, light years ahead of Wave of Sorrow. I really like this track.

Do those drums sound SBS-like to anyone else ?

Any theories on the painter's dogs lines ?

My favourite parts are

Alone, rather the river than your stepping stones
Leave the graveyard 'fore you turn to bones
I'm tragic, you're comedy*

Oh, baby doll, the dogs are barking, they need to be fed
All the lepers you let in your head - is it empty now?

and

Alone, like the painter's dog without a bone
When there's only one thing you need to own
And that is hunger, hunger itself*

I know you'll be convinced
Your mind just ripped and it is torn to shreds
From all the lovers taken to your beds
They're empty now

*love the delivery of these two lines.

LOVE this song. Beautiful, aching tune.

"You think that you can love someone into love" is such a great line.

Re: the lyrics. I think they're written in 2008/2009, with Bono "aiming" for an Unforgettable Fire style "imagery" lyric. There's no clear narrative, but it's clearly a song about heartbreak. Just like the song "Unforgettable Fire" is very vague, but seems to carry a feeling of love lost.

Also, back in 1984, Bono wasn't necessarily writing about INFIDELITY per se, so it seems like this is 1984 after being strained through the 1990s and then boiled in some 2000s.

But that whistling guitar is beautiful, his vocals are great, love the melodies and lyrics....this is just ace.

avoided it like the plague. want to hear it when I buy that deluxe box tomorrow. can't fucking wait :)

So, where is everyone at with this song now?

I still love it, and always will, fairly predictably. Does everyone else now realise it isnt cool to like things 00's u2 touch and hate it yet?

Give it time

i find the idea of them going back and finishing off a track pretty interesting, but at the same time its just a bit weird hearing something like Wave Of Sorrow that is quite clearly 20 odd years old and suddenly hearing present day Bono's huskier voice suddenly start singing :wink: going out to town to get this box set now, so if I don't like this song I'll kill you all.

So, where is everyone at with this song now?

I still love it, and always will, fairly predictably. Does everyone else now realise it isnt cool to like things 00's u2 touch and hate it yet?

Give it time

I love this song. For me, this is the dark sequel to 'Walk to the Water'...like the woman he met in that sublime world broke his heart and this is the aftermath of pain and regret (similar vibe musically and lyrically for me).

The drums, guitar, and bass are from 1983.
They 'finished it up' in France 'a few weeks ago', which I take to mean when they were in Nice. They probably added extra keyboard 'n' stuff there, possibly with Eno/Lanois. The vocals are either from those Nice sessions, or, depending on your source, from the NLOTH sessions (I've seen both pieces of information peddled around this thread, though I believe they hinted at the former in the interview).

Good info. I did not know that, although it sounded too "Full and complete" as compared to the U2 sound that was being created back in the 1980´s on the UF album. This one sounded too recent. A much fuller kinda sound as they are now creating.
Yep, they added alot of new instruments to make it complete. I really like this version.
:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom