2013 Rolling Stones vs. U2 (Today)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I really didn't know where to post this. Nothing was on 'Just A Bang' and nothing was on here.

The Rolling Stones today announced their 'big' 2013 Tour. I was really considering going to Las Vegas to see them. Thinking I'll have to spend $100-$200 for a decedent ticket. This was gonna be my goodbye to the Rolling Stones, my last show for them. As there getting older & most all..........just too damn greedy!!

Nine-city Rolling Stones tour to start in L.A.

Not only does this article put a bad taste in my mouth about the band now but they didn't even release info. on when tickets go on sale (except 3 shows). The LA show (opener) doesn't even have a date yet. There might be more dates but they want to wait to see if these sale out first. And all tickets (the ones posted right now) are $171 or $665

I've seen the Stones 4 times and I enjoy their 80% of their material but if U2 ever did something like this I would be pretty devastated. I always felt U2 is worth $100. You always get a solid show for your $ spent. But I don't think we need to make anymore Stone Tours vs U2 Tours after today.

How is this any different than the other dozen or so (it seems) cash-register tours they've done? What's so egregious about this one that's worse than any of the others?

And no, U2 hasn't done anything this bad. Yet.

How is this any different than the other dozen or so (it seems) cash-register tours they've done? What's so egregious about this one that's worse than any of the others?

And no, U2 hasn't done anything this bad. Yet.

Yeah, I guess I'm older to see it now. The most I paid for them was $90 for a upper arena ticket. Other shows were $50-$60 in stadiums.

They sound like there just asking for the $ now. No album, no special set, just were the Rolling Stones and we deserve $500 a ticket

Yeah, I guess I'm older to see it now. The most I paid for them was $90 for a upper arena ticket. Other shows were $50-$60 in stadiums.

They sound like there just asking for the $ now. No album, no special set, just were the Rolling Stones and we deserve $500 a ticket

There is a high demand for people like the Stones, Bowie, etc.

And, by the way, U2 has become the Rolling Stones since ATYCLB (their very own Tattoo You).

Indeed. Which is what sets U2 apart for now, at least they've always had a record to promote for each of their tours, and they've generally been very good at actually playing a number of songs from their new record. And if you didn't mind sitting in the cheap seats, you could see a 360 show for reasonable price...and in most cases even but tickets day-of.

Of course, on the latter parts of 360 it did become more or less a greatest hits tour, but not quite dinosaur band territory yet, though obviously they're in danger of becoming that.

But look man, if you love the music, and the band, and have got the cash, I wouldn't let their greed stop you from going to show you'd otherwise enjoy just on principle. I mean, these tours are all about money anyway right? I guess it's just a matter of when their "greed" outweighs your wanting to see them...I mean, you don't go to a rock concert because of the musician's sterling character anyway, right?

And if you didn't mind sitting in the cheap seats, you could see a 360 show for reasonable price..

You could also get extremely close to the band, best spots in the house, for a reasonable price. That definitely sets them apart from other big bands touring.

Are The Stones only playing the 9 dates that were listed in the article or will they be adding more? If they are celebrating their 50 years together why not just go out and do it right and do a full tour? How can they not come back to NY? I personally would love to hear them do more blues stuff. They do put on an awesome show. I've seen them 4-5 times and I have never been disappointed. (first time 1981-MSG! I still have the pink balloon that I caught at the end of the show! Who knows, maybe I bumped into a very young U2 exiting the concert...didn't they go to that show?)

I don't begrudge anyone for making money but I think that ticket prices are a bit high. I guess I am still naive enough to think artists still perform for the love of the music and not necessarily for the money.

This seems like a good place to place this audio link. It's from the BBC Mick's thinking of calling Bono for advice. I'd love to hear that conversation!
BBC News - Mick Jagger 'to call Bono for advice'

Are The Stones only playing the 9 dates that were listed in the article or will they be adding more? If they are celebrating their 50 years together why not just go out and do it right and do a full tour? How can they not come back to NY? I personally would love to hear them do more blues stuff. They do put on an awesome show. I've seen them 4-5 times and I have never been disappointed. (first time 1981-MSG! I still have the pink balloon that I caught at the end of the show! Who knows, maybe I bumped into a very young U2 exiting the concert...didn't they go to that show?)

I don't begrudge anyone for making money but I think that ticket prices are a bit high. I guess I am still naive enough to think artists still perform for the love of the music and not necessarily for the money.

This seems like a good place to place this audio link. It's from the BBC Mick's thinking of calling Bono for advice. I'd love to hear that conversation!
BBC News - Mick Jagger 'to call Bono for advice'

They don't have what it takes to do a full tour anymore. Sadly, time waits for no one.

I remember going to see the Stones at Shea Stadium for Steel Wheels in 1989. I paid 30 bucks for my upper deck seats. That was actually considered high back then. The Stones have been charging a shitload for tickets since then. If fans are willing to pay 3-4 figures for tickets then so be it. No one is putting a gun to their head to make them do it. If ticket sales were poor for these events, perhaps they would lower the price. I don't see that happening. At least with U2, they've done their best to keep their ticket prices reasonable.

I remember going to see the Stones at Shea Stadium for Steel Wheels in 1989. I paid 30 bucks for my upper deck seats. That was actually considered high back then. The Stones have been charging a shitload for tickets since then. If fans are willing to pay 3-4 figures for tickets then so be it. No one is putting a gun to their head to make them do it. If ticket sales were poor for these events, perhaps they would lower the price. I don't see that happening. At least with U2, they've done their best to keep their ticket prices reasonable.

I agree with all this. While I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that 10 years down the line U2 will be charging $500 a pop (they'll be less physically robust, shorter tour, hence they'll want to make it economically worthwhile for themselves), if fans want to pay extortionate prices, nobody can blame the band IMHO. Supply and demand baby. If the remaining members of Pink Floyd or Led Zep were to reform and hit the road again, I'd probably let my heart rule my head and pay whatever it took to see them.

I agree with all this. While I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that 10 years down the line U2 will be charging $500 a pop (they'll be less physically robust, shorter tour, hence they'll want to make it economically worthwhile for themselves), if fans want to pay extortionate prices, nobody can blame the band IMHO. Supply and demand baby. If the remaining members of Pink Floyd or Led Zep were to reform and hit the road again, I'd probably let my heart rule my head and pay whatever it took to see them.

I'd add Bowie to the list.

I dont think prices for Bowie would be too exorbitant. That said, the promoters would know people would be exorbitant amounts to see him. But he likely won't tour anyway.

No way we'll ever see a Floyd reunion tour. I was actually semi-confident up until Rick Wright's death, they seemed to be getting along a bit better, but once he passed away I think that closed the door.

Doubt I'd be willing to see the Stones if they tour here.

I could never pay more than a 100 dollars for a concert ticket no matter how important the band is to me! Disposable income also requires a budget otherwise your life's priorities are severely skewed. :wink:

The Stones may eclipse the 360 tour in terms of $$$ ticket sales but they won't get near 7 million people.

Not a chance not off 10 dates ( the rumour was there was 16 so id expect a couple 2nd dates added to some)

Reports in the british media say they will get £40 million off these shows. They made $4 million dollers a show on the 5 just gone,so theres no chance of getting over $700 million they wont get to $100 million.

I could never pay more than a 100 dollars for a concert ticket no matter how important the band is to me! Disposable income also requires a budget otherwise your life's priorities are severely skewed. :wink:

I'd pay that amount for ONE concert if I really want to see the act. I'm going to see Leonard Cohen this summer and the tickets are about 100 Euros. It's very much, but he doesn't come anywhere near me anymore these days and I doubt he'll come back, so I'll go and see him.

If all tickets for all artists and bands I'd like to see would be expensive like that, I'd just have to set priorities. Thank God, I could well afford the U2 tickets, otherwise it would have been very hard to see them more than two or three times.

As for the Stones, I don't care about them and certainly won't go and see them. I don't like the whole competition about which tour is raising more money. I hope U2, when they'll tour again, will return to smaller places and arenas and leave the bombastic stadium show concepts behind for a while. IMO, that's what would REALLY set them apart from other acts at this stage of their career.

As for the Stones, I don't care about them and certainly won't go and see them. I don't like the whole competition about which tour is raising more money. I hope U2, when they'll tour again, will return to smaller places and arenas and leave the bombastic stadium show concepts behind for a while. IMO, that's what would REALLY set them apart from other acts at this stage of their career.

Agree with all of this.

They're 173 years old, can't tour for years anymore, aren't any more expensive than, say, a good Broadway show or a show on the Strip... and if U2 goes back to arenas, you can bet the prices will make some of you blush.

But they'll have floor GA... Probably at 70 bucks a pop... which yes, is a great gesture to the fans... Keeping the best seats then lowest price!

But let's be real... They're making just as much money on the floor by cramming as many people in as they can as if they just had tiered seating. And if they weren't making said money, they wouldn't do it that way.

So good in them for picking the more average Joe fan friendly way of getting their money... but it's not as if they're sacrificing anything to do it. And those seats near the side stage are a tad pricey.

Never was a huge fan of the Stones, I always thought The Who and Kinks were better and saw them both a number of times. This smacks so bad of a money grab it's not funny.

Speculation for the Bowie and possible Pink Floyd tours would make some cash but the big one would be LED ZEPPELIN :drool:

What major arena and/or stadium tour isn't a money grab?

My money grab statement was from the standpoint that they aren't releasing, re-releasing, remastering then releasing, putting out their 100th Best of Collection, or new material. It's that they are going on the road because they are The Stones, charge waht they want and you will go see them.

My money grab statement was from the standpoint that they aren't releasing, re-releasing, remastering then releasing, putting out their 100th Best of Collection, or new material. It's that they are going on the road because they are The Stones, charge waht they want and you will go see them.

It is part of the 50 years old tour. They had a best of with 2 new songs last year and that is more than U2 had in the last years.

It IS their last tour. They are OLD. There is huge demand for the Stones. People will pay ANYTHING to see them. Do you think they need the money? Do you believe they would leave the comfort of their homes and families, at this point, if it wasn't for the big money?

It is part of the 50 years old tour. They had a best of with 2 new songs last year and that is more than U2 had in the last years.

It IS their last tour. They are OLD. There is huge demand for the Stones. People will pay ANYTHING to see them. Do you think they need the money? Do you believe they would leave the comfort of their homes and families, at this point, if it wasn't for the big money?

Fair enough - but won't believe it's thier last tour by a long shot. And Best Of's? they can come up with many various running orders of the same old songs.

Fair enough - but won't believe it's thier last tour by a long shot. And Best Of's? they can come up with many various running orders of the same old songs.

Charlie Watts will be 72 years old in june.
Keith and Mick will be 70 this year.

I really doubt there will be another tour.

Exactly. The Stones haven't said this was their last tour. Just that its more shows to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Guess what? The Stones can charge whatever they want because people will stay pay to see them.

Back
Top Bottom