You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i also can't see "numb" grabbing anyone by the face and shaking them into the morning. That songs animal equivelant is a Sloth

:shocked:

dan, you need to get into some funky-ass Zooropa mode (listen to Daddy's Gonna Pay first, with MacPhisto running through your mind), then watch the Numb video a few dozen times.

Bitchin'.

Let's not get carried away here when talking about sonic changes. Musically speaking, One, WGRYWH, So Cruel, and Ultra Violet could have easily appeared on earlier work. The heavier, rockin' stuff like UTEOTW, The Fly, and Acrobat can be easily traced back to the heavier, rockin' Lovetown Tour stuff like God Part II, Watchtower, and the shredding solo version of Desire. Hell, Acrobat's musical genesis was at a soundcheck before one of the Lovetown Auckland shows.

Honestly, if you'd been to Lovetown, and if you had heard Night And Day and Wild Irish Rose, the transition to Achtung, while perhaps a bit of a surprise, would have at least made sense and not seemed as drastic as it did to the general public, who were thinking more along the lines of WOWY and ISHFWILF.

The biggest sonic change in U2's history was the often overlooked War to UF.

I agree with you on this. Listening to God Part II you can see that something was about to happen. But you can't imagine listening to War that U2 would come up with something like TUF.

But no matter what, I guess that's because now we know that AB would come up. Maybe for those back then that was a huge surprise. And after all, they changed and mainteined their sucess, which is something rare.

:shocked:

dan, you need to get into some funky-ass Zooropa mode (listen to Daddy's Gonna Pay first, with MacPhisto running through your mind), then watch the Numb video a few dozen times.

Bitchin'.

i was talking more 'style'. Its slow and monotone (delibrately).

The first U2 track EVER in 17 years? Every single album track and bonus track and non-album track that they've released since 1992 has grabbed you in the face and shaken you into the morning? Really? Or do you mean that it's the first "first single" not to have done that? :scratch:

I apologise. I should have clarified my statement.

It's the first, first release single. I mean what I said...I'm as die-hard as they come, and I was really disappointed...I hate people that say the shit I am saying right now ;)

Let's not get carried away here when talking about sonic changes. Musically speaking, One, WGRYWH, So Cruel, and Ultra Violet could have easily appeared on earlier work. The heavier, rockin' stuff like UTEOTW, The Fly, and Acrobat can be easily traced back to the heavier, rockin' Lovetown Tour stuff like God Part II, Watchtower, and the shredding solo version of Desire. Hell, Acrobat's musical genesis was at a soundcheck before one of the Lovetown Auckland shows.

Honestly, if you'd been to Lovetown, and if you had heard Night And Day and Wild Irish Rose, the transition to Achtung, while perhaps a bit of a surprise, would have at least made sense and not seemed as drastic as it did to the general public, who were thinking more along the lines of WOWY and ISHFWILF.

I don't agree Axver. I didn't see the Lovetown tour but I have heard the material you speak of. Shocking I know but I am not in the dark. While the shift from War to UF is huge I have a real hard time believing anyone was more shocked or surprised by that transition than they were from R&H--> Achtung Baby. Even you.

Not every single is meant to grab you by the face and shake you, though I'm getting the feeling that this single just might.

The lyrics are what caught me though, on the 22 second clip the verse is extremely catchy.

Damn it, 3AM needs to get here faster. Lord knows I'm staying up for it.

they should. thats really weird

I mean if Victoria and NSW have it, why not SA? :angry: Well I hope they listen to what WD said and get a copy from the other Triple M's.

Very disappointing on their part, I was really expecting them to play it, so i'll just stream online if it will work.

Niiiice. :)

Bono will just get you to do interviews for him.

:hmm:

lol

Fantastic idea. :wink: I'm still too young though.

I apologise. I should have clarified my statement.

It's the first, first release single. I mean what I said...I'm as die-hard as they come, and I was really disappointed...I hate people that say the shit I am saying right now ;)

how did you hear it and how many times have you listened to it?

I've just listened to their 22 sec clip. I quite liked it, I can understand the comparisons made to Vertigo in someay, partic on the verses. I thought the bass was turned down quite low, but maybe that is just the quality of the clip, as really hope this isn't the final mix.

Yup. Lovetown clearly paved the way for AB...agree with you 100%. I was even going to write in my previous post that the drastic change is less from R&H to AB as it is JT to AB, which is the jump that I think that most people make.

I agree that the biggest jump is probably War to UF, though I'd argue that songs like Surrender and 40 are the clues in War. In a way, NYD could even be a link to Pride, at least a more clear link than anything that had come on Boy or October.

While I think that U2's stardom can be traced back to War & its tour, sonically, almost all of what U2 has been for the last 20 years can be traced in some way back to UF. It created the "U2 sound."

I mean if Victoria and NSW have it, why not SA? :angry: Well I hope they listen to what WD said and get a copy from the other Triple M's.

Very disappointing on their part, I was really expecting them to play it, so i'll just stream online if it will work.

It might be not be bogan rock(AC/DC, Gunners, Thirsty Merc) enough for MMM

Okay-- so I forgot about numb ;)

I love songs that sneak up on you...but this one has had three days to settle in and I don't find myself humming it or wishing to hear it again.

It's just not the same effect...

Again... I think macfesto was being sarcastic.

he's been asked that about half a dozen times now and hasn't answered. can't help but question whether he's really heard it or not.

Geez...

Look, I have a hook up at a radio station is all I'm going to say about it. Yes I've heard the song...and we all will again in a few hours. It takes a few minutes to type a reply to the post ;) haha

I'm not saying I plan on boycotting the song guys. Just like all of you, my friends and family count on me to be the voice of U2 in my region of the world ;) so I will blindly and faithfully follow their lead...

I just feel like I can be honest on the forum with my fellow brothers and sisters ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom