You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a bunch of listens I think I'm disappointed in this song. The verse and chorus are so catchy but I feel that the rest of the song is so generic that it feels forgettable. I found myself humming the verse or chorus all day and I tried to give it a spin again and I was underwhelmed. My favorite part is The Edge's guitar at around 2:50; that's a fun bit. I agree with what's being said here about it feeling like an Invisible clone.

Love the song at its core, but I WAY prefer the Kygo mix. The swirling "be bop ee doh," or whatever the hell he says, vocal mix was just about the best thing I've heard from U2 in years. It's utterly irresistible and made them sound like a modern dance band. The world would've been floored. Really wish that U2 still had the balls to release a song like that to radio.

I like invincible but ordinary love bores me to death. I am sure that the best thing is superior to atleast ordinary love.

The Pat Benatar song...:giggle:

Actually Invisible has a nice guitar part, but Ordinary Love is totally neutered...I love both songs, but this song is organic...like back in the day (from which I come)...so there's an air of familiarity, and I like that...:D

After hearing a few more times on a good pair of headphones, I have to admit it's getting better. The last minute is actually really good and saves it big time. I don't know what they were thinking about though when the first chorus ends - it's such an awkward transition. Sounds like a bad editing job.

I have confidence in the studio versions of The Blackout and Little Things, so that makes one decent pop song and two really good live songs with great studio potential.

Single Mix is my preferred version because I can't stand all the syrupy synths in the Sci-Fi Mix. I like the rawer sound...Sci-Fi Mix is OK, I like the single mix better...:yes:

I can't find the Sci-Fi mix anywhere to compare it. They must've went bananas in taking it down.

See above. haha

Last edited:

Actually Invisible has a nice guitar part, but Ordinary Love is totally neutered...I love both songs, but this song is organic...like back in the day (from which I come)...so there's an air of familiarity, and I like that...:D
Lol damn iPhone! I tried to change it before someone spotted that haha. I was too slow!
But yes I agree with your assessment!

Hey Reggie I thought the same thing especially the beginning. Check out U2 Rattle&Hum Outtake Beach Hut Jam on YouTube. Not sure why this song reminded me of Best Thing but it did.

Let me ask everyone this. If they're about to play it live on Fallon -- why don't they let that be the world premiere than release the single Friday?

Even so -- 8am East Coat time in America is a bad time because our minds aren't awake enough to process new music. We're all zombies in America. I guess it was for Ireland to get first play on radio right?

I think the reason reactions changed is most of us first heard this as Suitcase put in with shit in our eyes and hot dogs in our ears.

I can't wait until the next track is released at 3:33am and you can only listen to it if you get a secret passcode.
Yea I mean I was up yesterday from 2 am, half over stress about some bullshit at work and half over a miserable toddler with coxsackie when I first heard the song, and a puppy would have pissed me off at that point.

After the bullshit worked itself out and 5 cups of coffee, the song sounded considerably better than it did at 8 am.

Can't find the comment now, but this morning someone who hated the song said that they doubted U2 would hit 200k YouTube views by the end of the night.
It hit 200k in 8 hours. Now at 250k

It will hit a million views by tomorrow sometime

I enjoy the song. It's very poppy - but I can live with it. I don't hate the production, though it was jarring in first listen. The song has sunk in now, and I think the single mix is more suitable than the Sci-Fi Soul mix for release.

Definitely the best lead single since Vertigo, especially when tempered by the release of The Blackout.

On a side note - terrible as a lead single as it was, I'm relistening to SoI and I do love The Miracle. Production, tone, themes - in fact, Songs of Innocence has generally aged well for me.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I hope that The Best Thing is the most commercially popular song on the album, and the worst. If that occurs, Songs of Experience will be a treat.

Everyone else - cool your jets.

After a bunch of listens I think I'm disappointed in this song. The verse and chorus are so catchy but I feel that the rest of the song is so generic that it feels forgettable. I found myself humming the verse or chorus all day and I tried to give it a spin again and I was underwhelmed. My favorite part is The Edge's guitar at around 2:50; that's a fun bit. I agree with what's being said here about it feeling like an Invisible clone.

So you find yourself humming the majority of the song all day long, yet it's forgettable?

AND

There are people saying it's an Invisible clone?

For real?! This place freakin cracks me up :lmao:

And of words to drop why the hell did he drop the word 'to' and not 'a' at least "happened to Boy" could've been some play on words with the album Boy and even if not it sounds a hell of a lot better than "happened a boy"

When he read the lyrics in one of his interview today, he said "to boy."

SOI is very underrated. The run from Iris to The Troubles is the best of the 2000's. I even like California a lot. Just listened to it tonight and it's uplifting and energetic. Love the guitar solo too.

I might be in the minority in saying this but SOE has to be pretty special to be better than SOI. The Litttle Things could be a classic with great studio production.

For anyone interested at all, I've done a very crude cut that adds the pre-chorus of the Sci-Fi mix into single version. The timing is slightly off because, well, I can't be bothered any more.

I did this mainly because I think the biggest issue with the song is that Edge's riff going form that section of the song has neutered the build-up portion. Anyway, feel free to listen:

https://clyp.it/qvlegeot?token=cbdd3f858455667ad8b2061c4178a83c

After hearing a few more times on a good pair of headphones, I have to admit it's getting better. The last minute is actually really good and saves it big time. I don't know what they were thinking about though when the first chorus ends - it's such an awkward transition. Sounds like a bad editing job.

I have confidence in the studio versions of The Blackout and Little Things, so that makes one decent pop song and two really good live songs with great studio potential.

Yeah, that transition you are talking about is so bad. I can't believe they left that in in the final version. That part really sounds like it was put together last minute.

It will hit a million views by tomorrow sometime

That may be a bit lofty, but I hope so! Maybe by 11 or 12 at night, they may get there. I would think the Fallon perormance will give it a boost for a couple days after that.

Glad to see it's getting some attention. hope radio grabs it.

Wildly early prediction time: The Blackout will open the E&I shows and The Best Thing will show up in the fourth slot after two more high energy rockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom