You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, some really mixed opinions here! Some seem to love it, others really hate it. I don't remember previous lead singles being quite this polarising!

I for one really love it. I completely understand some people who prefer the kygo mix and it's simplicity among other things, and I do kind of miss the more distorted guitar in the verse, and the guitar riff in the chorus (for example). And it does certainly feel a little stitched together.

But ultimately, in spite of that, I found myself just... enjoying the song. I keep humming the chorus, and I absolutely love the rhythm section. After Blackout, and now this, it seems Adam and Larry will be the stars of SoE. Holy shit, they're really putting a lot of love into their craft here - playful, creative, and groovy.

Not sure it'll be a success, but only because I wonder if it's too 'rock', and rock isn't exactly fashionable right now. They should probably release the Kygo mix just to get some more exposure.

Anyway, I love this song, Blackout was pretty cool, and bring on the album :up:

i love it, it makes me smile :heart:

let them have a happy song you bunch of jaded mofos

I've really been digging the song..however, I keep getting jarred by the odd break after the first chorus, around 1:20. Bono sings "The best thing ..." and that whole chorus sounds like it's building up to some explosion of sound, and then it just kind of ... falls off a cliff. It's captured my attention every time I've listened to it. And not in a good way.

I do love the bridge though. Edge's part is great! And the Sci-Fi Soul Mix is pretty groovy, too.

I've really been digging the song..however, I keep getting jarred by the odd break after the first chorus, around 1:20. Bono sings "The best thing ..." and that whole chorus sounds like it's building up to some explosion of sound, and then it just kind of ... falls off a cliff. It's captured my attention every time I've listened to it. And not in a good way.

I do love the bridge though. Edge's part is great! And the Sci-Fi Soul Mix is pretty groovy, too.

It's funny - at first, I thought I had a similar reaction to this song as I do to Invisible, so I gave Invisible a spin.

Then I realized that Invisible is much, much more powerful. So I've listened to Invisible more than TBT today.

Invisible is a gem. Very underrated in these parts, IMHO.

I definitely prefer the single mix to the Sci-Fi Soul mix (where the verses sound even more like Ordinary Love). The single mix is more straightforward, direct, fresh. Love the guitar.

Just like The Blackout, I like the verses, love the bridge, and I find the chorus too simple (catchy, though).

Yeah, that mix could be completely changed if they stuck to the original transition.

the two releases are actually perfect right now, The Blackout for the rage, and TBT for the much needed uplift in dark times... Blackout on its own would be too manic, and TBT on its own would be too oh fuck off, but at the same time, they're actually quite perfect :D

I heard it twice this evening on Portuguese radio stations and i was pleasantly surprised to be the sci-fi mix, which i find not so embarrassing. Is this happening anywhere else or is it just here? Do any of you know if the sci-fi mix is for airplay in radio stations?

Thanks and apologies if this has been previously talked.

I heard it twice this evening on Portuguese radio stations and i was pleasantly surprised to be the sci-fi mix, which i find not so embarrassing. Is this happening anywhere else or is it just here? Do any of you know if the sci-fi mix is for airplay in radio stations?

Thanks and apologies if this has been previously talked.

I don't see how this song is even close to embarrassing.

Invisible and Ordinary Love are both far superior to The Best Thing....not even close. The Best Thing is decent but it's missing some ingredients to make it more memorable. The Edge's guitar is neutered throughout and it would have given it some much needed drive.

Has it been released to radio yet ? Didn't hear it yet here in Los Angeles. Will top 40 play this alongside Ariana grande ?

Last edited:
I'm surprised the lyric video didn't at least pretend that Bono said "happened to a boy."

And of words to drop why the hell did he drop the word 'to' and not 'a' at least "happened to Boy" could've been some play on words with the album Boy and even if not it sounds a hell of a lot better than "happened a boy"

I didn't love beautiful day when I first heard it. This reminds me a lot of that time. It could take off, I like it the more I listen. Yes hearing the kygo version might have ruined my initial reaction.

Album is looking gooddddd

It will never take off because unlike Beautiful Day the build on TBT to what should be an infectious and glorious chorus never happens. The chorus sucks. It's bland and brings the song down.

Ah, well damn you. Just when I'm slamming this lame new single, you go and post something that reminds me why I love these guys in the first place.

I take back everything I said about....what's the name of this song again?

Love to see them more behind the scenes making the record. I assume Larry is always angry. Edge is always trying new things. Bono has too many lyrics. And I believe Adam doesn't say much -- until he does -- and I wonder if he's secretly in charge of the band w/o anyone realizing it.

So I took another spin of the song on the way home, in a considerably better mood than when I listened to it this morning and was just a cynical fuck.

It's a good song. Both mixes. I think I prefer the sci fi mix, but the single mix sounds much better after wiping the shit out if my eyes and a few cups of coffee.

It's an infections pop song. I think it might actually do very well. Won't be on top 40 radio or anything like that, but I think this will burn up the adult charts.

But I still think Little Things should've been the single.

I've been in love with this song for a year. So I'm having a hard time adjusting to what they choose to release. I was of course happy they decided to release it at all, because they've been known to make a great song like Mercy or Winter and somehow not put it on an official album for whatever reason.

Just imagine the fighting we're having about the finished product as they sit there trying to make it. Should we include this song on our album? which version? Which lyric Bono? Edge why don't you take that guitar riff from that other tune we aren't going to use anymore and add it here.

U2 is more right than wrong. Or we wouldn't care this much.

I think of a song like Vertigo. And I heard that first. So when I hear Native Son later, it's not as stunning. But what a totally different vibe that makes it.

The first version was pop and dance and fun. And this one seems even more get off your ass and dance. Blackout is Vertigo / Elevation level of crowd excitement.

Little Things sounds pretty damn good to me.

3 for 3 motherfuckers! (Rick and Morty Voice) Songs of Experience. That's fucking right.

So has the marketing team figured out the painfully obvious social plan?

You will all cringe, but it would've made a lot of sense to get some Instagram/Facebook stuff going where you can upload your SO/loved one to be the cover art and tag the person.

I quite enjoyed it on the treadmill just now. I miss the 2016 "the-the-the / the best thing about me" ending (now it just ends) and am puzzled by the "walking away" parts, but the exuberance is there -- no one can soar quite like U2, and this soars at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom