Who invented the double entrendre for praying and oral sex: Madonna or Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's 'proof', an 'officially the real thing' label? And didn't we just get rid of that 'pleba' person acting like they were connected to the band? :crazy: Sorry I can't even believe the "Elvis knows who I am" thing, most of the staff seemed to authenticate 'Fake Edge' yet he was still fake.

U2Kitten said:
What's 'proof', an 'officially the real thing' label? And didn't we just get rid of that 'pleba' person acting like they were connected to the band? :crazy: Sorry I can't even believe the "Elvis knows who I am" thing, most of the staff seemed to authenticate 'Fake Edge' yet he was still fake.

What? the official Edge was fake??!

sorry.:wink: I guess you don't have to believe what you hear, you don't have to believe what you see, if you just close your eyes you can feel the enemy.

FullonEdge2 said:
I guess you don't have to believe what you hear, you don't have to believe what you see, if you just close your eyes you can feel the enemy.

I like that quote. Did you write that yourself or are you quoting someone?

beli said:

I like that quote. Did you write that yourself or are you quoting someone?

Well yes I wrote it myself....but I'm also quoting "Acrobat."

Glad you liked it though:wink:

I also read the OotS was originally intended for Edge's daughter, but it took on a whole different vibe and turned out being nothing like that in the end. I think it may have been in Spin or Blender? I can't remember.

And to address the original question posted: neither Bono or Madonna did.

I've read very very old poetry that uses this double entendre. Madonna and Bono may have brought it into the mainstream, but it's nothing new.

ultrraviolette said:

I've read very very old poetry that uses this double entendre. Madonna and Bono may have brought it into the mainstream, but it's nothing new.

Yeah, it's quite frequent in 17th and 18th century poetry, especially with metaphysical poets like John Donne.

Sorry I have a terrible time believing that a song intended for, or partially for, a band member's teenage daughter would also double as a song about oral sex. I think they're better fathers than that. Just like I have a hard time believing any 'insiders' would actively post here, and if they did, they wouldn't admit it or brag about it :| Oh and didn't most people hear the album 2 weeks before its release, due to the leak? :uhoh:

Last edited:
I just have one question...when did sex become "dirty"? I'm sorry but that just boggles my mind.

U2Kitten said:
Sorry I have a terrible time believing that a song intended for, or partially for, a band member's teenage daughter would also double as a song about oral sex. I think they're better fathers than that. Just like I have a hard time believing any 'insiders' would actively post here, and if they did, they wouldn't admit it or brag about it :| Oh and didn't most people hear the album 2 weeks before its release, due to the leak? :uhoh:

I never said I was an "insider", why are you quoting me as such? I said I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with them. That's does not count as bragging in my book. I was able to hear the REAL CD, not the leak. Ugggh. This is just silly.

And why shouldn't someone in the industry post and read here? Please realize not ALL music folks think they are "above all that". We're fans too - why do you think most of us got into the business??

When did I say that OOTS was about oral sex? READ THE POSTS
I said it turned into something more intimate, I never said oral sex.

I do think people in the industry read and post here. I just don't believe they'd openly tell it or brag about it. I also don't think they'd hang around PLEBA and waste as much time here as we ordinary folk with no lives do :reject:

Again, I wasn't bragging - but again, you will believe what you want. I AM A FAN as well...

I have a life, but I enjoy U2 and Bono just as much as anyone and I never denied that! Alot of folks in the industry do too, but I'm one of the few honest gals that will admit it :wink: BONO's HOT!

At any rate, I was only trying to shed light on the subject at hand. Hard to believe I even took your bait and got so defensive! Silly me! I know better next time.

Good night!

Last edited:
No one ever baited you, you brought it up yourself. I never even noticed it in your posts until FullOnEdge2 started questioning you on it.

Im not an expert but I think Atomic Lemon probably is who she says she is ie someone in the industry. Not someone working for U2 or PM etc but someone in the entertainment industry so its feasible that shes met them. IMHO Well, if she answers my last question, then I will think that anyway.

Hell, everyones met them except for me. :mad:

Its a shame about this whole fake Edge thing. Its burnt the site. It now means if anyone actually does have any genuine info they wont be believed. I dont know if thats a resolvable problem . :huh:

Last edited:
beli said:
Oh gawd no, not another one :scream:

Please if you are someone connected please keep it to yourself or provide proof. One or the other.

That's right.

beli said:
I havent actually tried to meet them. lol. Bit like winning the lottery. Step 1. Buy a ticket......

I figure I have about the same chance to win the lottery whether I buy a ticket or not... :huh: Ah, well.

And back to the subject (well, kind of :wink: )... Don't most guys pray for oral sex? :D

Last edited:
ultrraviolette said:

Cool! Please post the information; I'd be interested in checking it out.

:hyper:

Bono was quoted as saying, "69 is the most equal position!" :eyebrow:

As for the songs, they wrote them, you intrepret them as you like. It's how I write lyrics. I really don't tell people what they're about, I like to leave it up to them to build it into their life as they please.
Sometimes I begin a lyric about something as innocent as having a crush on a stranger and then it turns to downright dirty, harsh feelings about a completely different person.
One song does not mean one story.

There are U2 songs that have multiple themes or meanings to them, I can think of a few. But I did find this quote from The Edge
in the recent Blender interview:

quote "these are the most direct and concise lyrics we've done," says the Edge thoughtfully, "There's no hiding behind mysterious metahpors." unquote :heart:
Then it goes on to say: Yes as with much of Bono's writing, the personal becomes universal and the universal personal. Songs directly addressed to his "Da" could as easily be about a lover, a country or the entire human race.

From the Edge's quote, I would say, OOTS would not have been written about oral sex. But to someone who doesn't know as much history or have read what most of us here have - they might reference it in the more suggestive manner..

No worries - Bono has written some very sexy, suggestive lyrics and that's one reason I love U2's music. :sexywink:
For all of the universal as well as personal - sexy and profound lyrics. It's all good :cool:

Bono's shades said:
I remember in U2 Until the End of the World, Bill Flannagan asked Bono about the supposed oral sex references in Achtung Baby and he was kind of coy about it. That's fine with me, because I think it's nice to leave things ambigous. Who knows, maybe Bono wasn't consciously thinking about you-know-what when he wrote that particular lyric - maybe it was a Freudian slip. :wink: Or maybe we are the ones with the dirty minds. :macdevil:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom