U2 to RETIRE?! According to Larry..a strong possibility + Bono Fears U2 Will Split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And theres still some more creative and fantastic music on the way, you can be sure of it. :up:

Larry said that U2 will be back in 5 years. Exactly like between the release of the 2 last albums !!

I know why Larry is saying that! He wants to split U2, cause Bono, Edge and Adam are not good looking guys, and wants to make a new band called "Larry Mullen Jr band", so where he can be the frontman. :shifty:

Deals can be broke at any time. Bono though said on the BBC rooftop performance that those that are new to the band dont have to worry because they will be around for a long time yet.

It will all depend on whether the bands ideals are truely artistic ones or commercial ones. If it is the ladder they may retire after this tour.

Even though bands slow down, it's easy for a lot of bands to just keep putting out music every so often - it's something they enjoy - even if the quality is declining. I'm sure it's tough to say - "that's it, no more albums, we're done". It's easier to just keep touring and releasing music until someone becomes too sick or, God forbid, kicks the bucket.

How do you decide when the creative juices are pretty much spent and decide to retire?

To put this nonsense to bed here are the quotes from Adam, Edge, And the FULL quote from Larry:

Adam Clayton: My thinking has changed over the years, and I now think if you are an artistic entity like U2 is and you have created these songs, there's no rulebook that says you can't ever perform those songs again at some point in your life. In my opinion, if you've written a song, it's valid for you to perform it however many times you want, wherever you want to. And if people want to turn up and pay money to experience it with you then, you know, that's very nice. Music and song writing are about communication. So it's something that you do with other people. You commune. So I don't really think there's a point when you should stop doing it. I mean it may be, it may be allegedly embarrassing for some people to see you up there performing songs when you're dribbling. But if they're your songs, you're entitled to it.
.......................................................................................................................

The Edge: We're all changing. We're all growing up and we're all going through what you go through when you have families, when you have a big house and a dog, whatever. It's not like we're all living in the same flat anymore. But I think we all know that there's something kind of touched about the way the four of us interact musically.

We've weathered so much stuff over the years that could well have broken up a group and we're still here. I think it's down to a number of factors. First off there's genuine friendship and regard personally between the four members of the band. We hang out together. We enjoy each other's company. We see each other on our break times as well as when we're working. It's not like I'm rushing to get out of the studio to see my friends. I'm in the studio with my friends. That's sort of unique. I think we all fully appreciate how special it is, how unique it is to still be making great music after so many years. We don't want to fuck up. It's too precious.

When anyone has a bad day and they want to leave the band or throw someone else out of the band, it doesn't last very long. I occasionally go through this thing, once a decade, where I go, "OK, that's it, I've had enough. It's over. It's all too much." And then I go through the process: "OK, what am I going to do with my life now?" So I start thinking, I would still want to make music. Am I a solo artist? To be perfectly honest, I'm not a solo artist. I need to find collaborators. OK, who do I want as my drummer? Fuck, there's no one better than Larry Mullen. What about bass? Shit, it has to be Adam. OK, singers? Oh shit, there's no one better than Bono. So I end up redesigning us for better or for worse. It's kind of ideal. That's not to say that it is not challenging.

I just know I make better music when I'm working with Bono. I make a lot of music on my own but no one ever hears. It just gets better when I'm working on it with Adam, Larry and Bono and Brian [Eno] and Danny [Lanois]. Who knows, at some point I might do some more collaborations outside of the band or solo projects. But I'm not rushing to. I like what I do.
......................................................................................................................

Larry Mullen Jr.: We don't always like each other but we respect each other, and we love each other. Marriages don't last this long. Will it stop working at some time? I'm sure it will. It's not indefinite. There will be a time where it's like, "It's time to go," and I would like that time to be on a high when you're still achieving, as opposed to on the curve down. That'll be sad for me. I think it'll be a more dignified time to actually go, "You know what? That's the end of that period" and we might come back in five years time and may do something together just for old times sake 'cause we know we'll want to. And I think that'll be a beautiful end to a long a beautiful career.

No [I haven't discussed this with my bandmates]. We don't discuss a lot of things. I'm just saying what I imagine it would be like, but I don't know. Of course it can't go on forever. It just can't. And if it ended tomorrow, would it be sad? Sure. But it wouldn't be the end of the world. It helps, I imagine, that you have a family, that you have a life outside the band. As a younger man would it have felt like the end of the world? I think it would have been more difficult. But my family is obviously important, as is everybody's in the band. It's an important part of our life.

And now look at some "key" quotes: Larry saying "There WILL be a time", notice how he's not saying its after the tour etc?, now you look at how some of the press have took that quote and missed out parts like that?

Edge saying "Who knows, at some point I might do some more collaborations outside of the band or solo projects. But I'm not rushing to. I like what I do.", again not rushing to quit,

i dont even need to go on, unfortunatley the press are once again taking quotes totally out of context and leaving out large chunks of what was actually said.

Well Bono calls Larry that in the Godfather video back in about 1987, but yeah I wouldn't exactly say he is "known as". :wink:

The Godfather skit is good stuff - although like many SNL skits, it goes on a heartbeat too long. Still, in a time when everyone thought U2 members never smiled, let alone laughed, this showed another side.

As for the topic, it's obvious there will be a time when U2 will be a memory.

Bono recently defended the Rolling Stones saying that they have put out some good music in the past decade. As noble as those sentiments are, most in the industry feel that the Stones create albums only as an excuse to tour. This is where the $$ is. In fact, while the illegal downloading does take a toll on music sales, the truth is that most artists make their money touring (about 7/8 of their income). And while some big bands like U2 will lose money due to illegal downloads, smaller artists don't mind. Often, they'll even put songs on their MySpace or other areas just to entice people to hear their music. And it has been proven that some illegal downloading has led to catalog sales for a lot of artists.

Why bring this up? Because Larry stated that U2 may not even have to create an album to tour. Granted, this could become a "greatest hits" tour quickly because of that aspect, but given U2's current pace of album output, perhaps it may be best to remove the pressure of having four men, who will be over 50 by then, trying to stay relevant. As brilliant as the music may be, the haters will still slam them. So forget it - just play the music. U2 makes money and fans are happy. :yes:

So while I know the day will come, I just hope it's not too soon. Hopefully we can get a few more albums out before "retirement" comes. Any band that can creat NLOTH is clearly not done creatively. I know I'd like to see more. :up:

About the Godfather skit. I don't really know it's actual history, but I thought it was never meant to be a public comedy sketch or skit, but was actually a private recorded "thank you" to someone (their record label?) after The Joshua Tree hit #1.
(If someone has the actual story that would be great)

So while I know the day will come, I just hope it's not too soon. Hopefully we can get a few more albums out before "retirement" comes. Any band that can creat NLOTH is clearly not done creatively. I know I'd like to see more. :up:

:up:

i would say that the artistic success with this album has secured at least 2 more albums in the future.

Bono fears U2 will split up-----

Bono predicting U2 split
March 26, 2009

Bono fears U2 will split up.

The singer says he and his bandmates - guitarist The Edge, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton - are determined to enjoy their upcoming world tour because they fear it could be their last.

He said: "We want to play for each other as much as we want to play for the crowd this time. You just don't know how long you are going to be doing this. When we walk out on stage, the hairs on people's necks go up - but what people don't know is that the hairs on our necks go up too."

Larry is concerned their fans won't want to part with their money to watch them,
even though tickets have been priced reasonably.
He said: "Will we sell it out? Who knows? Will the economic situation have an impact? Probably. But that's not going to stop us."

Larry recently admitted he wants the group to retire while they are still at the top.

He said: "There will be a time when it's like, 'It's time to go.' I would like that to be on a high when you're still achieving as opposed to the curve down. That'll be sad for me. I think it'll be a more dignified time to go."

- BANG Media International

Tonight - Bono predicting U2 split

What the fuck is with these articles? the only person who said they are afraid of splitting up was the journalist lol

Back
Top Bottom